Ok new to the forum ! Totally noob audiophile :)
Oct 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #16 of 26
thank you very much ! Yes amazon does have better service !

So i ve finally made up my mind . and i mean finally to sto pannoying you guys  . I know there a million threads on dt880 and choosing the right amp and trust me i have done some readins/research but everyone is entitled to his own opinion. So i decided to go with a tube amp to grab that warm sound that tube amps have. Thats final.

From my research again i found that the eddie current launchbox is good too and pretty affordable BUT my big problem is that it doesnt have a DAC . As i want to connect it mainly to my imac i would definitely need a DAC . So any good suggestions on a good DAC. Some say that imac have good DAC but i think ill get my own .

So i have been left with 2 choices . Either purchasing the HIFIMAN EF2 which has a built in DAC or go with the EddieCurrents launchbox and purchase an extra DAC . Which of these too would you recommend .

I am not lazy as i have done my research but i need some extra good knowledge in order to boost my dt880s

i have the 250 ohm version .

thank you very much all for your help !

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #17 of 26
thank you very much ! Yes amazon does have better service !

So i ve finally made up my mind . and i mean finally to sto pannoying you guys  . I know there a million threads on dt880 and choosing the right amp and trust me i have done some readins/research but everyone is entitled to his own opinion. So i decided to go with a tube amp to grab that warm sound that tube amps have. Thats final.

From my research again i found that the eddie current launchbox is good too and pretty affordable BUT my big problem is that it doesnt have a DAC . As i want to connect it mainly to my imac i would definitely need a DAC . So any good suggestions on a good DAC. Some say that imac have good DAC but i think ill get my own .

So i have been left with 2 choices . Either purchasing the HIFIMAN EF2 which has a built in DAC or go with the EddieCurrents launchbox and purchase an extra DAC . Which of these too would you recommend .

I am not lazy as i have done my research but i need some extra good knowledge in order to boost my dt880s

i have the 250 ohm version .

thank you very much all for your help !

Can I have a link for the Launchbox?

And I'd go with a pure amp, and save up my money for a great DAC (So it's worth upgrading from the iMac DAC).

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #18 of 26
I dont have a link to the launchbox , indeed i did search it but could find one that is for sale .

Ok i agree with your opinion about having just a pure amp and save money ofr a good DAC for later . there is a big BUT though , If i purchase a pure amp like littledotmkiii or darksiders or woo audio ,without buying a DAC , how can i connect it to my imac since imacs have only usb plugs . so if i go with that option i would have to buy both amp and dac at the same time because there is no other way to connect them

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:
I dont have a link to the launchbox , indeed i did search it but could find one that is for sale .

Ok i agree with your opinion about having just a pure amp and save money ofr a good DAC for later . there is a big BUT though , If i purchase a pure amp like littledotmkiii or darksiders or woo audio ,without buying a DAC , how can i connect it to my imac since imacs have only usb plugs . so if i go with that option i would have to buy both amp and dac at the same time because there is no other way to connect them

if you get a standalone dac you can use a spdif cable  or a rca to 3.5 cable that will hook to the dac and then the dac to the amp. I have heard good things about the hifiman amp/dac but I have not put the research into what goes well with the dt880s. sorry. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #20 of 26
The iBasso D7 is small but it will give entery level desktop DAC/AMPs performance for low price and it can connect through USB with iMac. If you want to use only AMPs then you can through 3.5mm ( select line out in setting) on iMac for better soundquality than stock HP 3.5mm jack.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #21 of 26
i finally got this :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251095575717?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I think i am going to save some moeny on a dac and for now i will connect 3.5mm from imac to 3.5 mm to this amp . What do you think . Whats the best connectivity for it ? do you think that i should go with a gold plated 3.5 jack ( it is been advertised as 3.5 mm cable for audiophiles ) or should i buy a 3.5 mm jack from Imac to RCA left and right in the amp ?

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #22 of 26
I don't see the point of going from 3.5 to RCA. The amp you got has got a 3.5 input. I would use it.
If you are happy with the amp you got, congratulations and enjoy. If not, here are some options:

I suspect that this.
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-usb-24bit-96khz-class-a-headphone-amplifier-p-199.html
is very cost effective.

For just an amp this would probably be good:
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-c-67.html

Also consider
http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #23 of 26
thank you i thought it would have a difference between 3.5 to 3.5 and 3.5 to RCA but i guess it doesnt matter. thanks for clarifying it.

I heard that the beyers dt880s are better with a tube amp so thats why i went with it. I considered since i am all new to this kind of stuff to get started with something quite cheap and the upgrade my amp and purchase a DAC in the future .

I would consider in the uture the woo audio 3 or 6 and DAC MusicStreamer2 but all these would cost 700$ so for now i ll stick with the Ocean Bravo and my dt880's :)

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:
thank you i thought it would have a difference between 3.5 to 3.5 and 3.5 to RCA but i guess it doesnt matter. thanks for clarifying it.

I heard that the beyers dt880s are better with a tube amp so thats why i went with it. I considered since i am all new to this kind of stuff to get started with something quite cheap and the upgrade my amp and purchase a DAC in the future .

I would consider in the uture the woo audio 3 or 6 and DAC MusicStreamer2 but all these would cost 700$ so for now i ll stick with the Ocean Bravo and my dt880's :)

The amp you have looks like an interesting and fun place to start from so enjoy. The Beyers are going to sound different depending on the amplifier. Whether or not they sound "better" with a tube amp depends on your taste. It is also worth noting that there are a lot of tube amps out there and they do not all sound alike...

I can recommend the Music Streamer II but only if you use it with a powered USB hub, a hub that has it's own power supply. Then it should really sing.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #26 of 26
Hi I have a question I have just bought the bravo ocean amplifier and I have bought MUSE DAC. When I have the dac hooked up to that amplifier and I have no music on everything is silent and I turn up the volume on the amplifier I can hair some noise with the dac but when I plug in from my iMac line out to the amplifiers line in there is much less noise how can this be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back