Oh where, oh where has my slim Arrow gone, oh where, oh where can it be?
Mar 2, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #347 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be surprised if any amplifier didn't amplify noise emitted by the hdd at least a tiny bit (especially with the DAP cranked as you put it). Are you using HO or LO?

Yeah, I'm not surprised either. What I am suprised about is that a proper trifecta mating of impedance, gain, and headphones dramatically reduces, and in most song-to-song transitions, eliminates the hdd noise. I was only slightly bummed that I could hear it when I knowingly pushed the SE530s past their comfort zone.

The HO, Hellenback.
frown.gif
<<That's merely residual grump though from listening to all the iPod folks snoot about their true line out LOCs. (I'm on a mission to change that misnomer
wink.gif
) I am not complaining. I'm blowing my head up right now with my Senns.
L3000.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #348 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it strange that he took the time to answer some e-mails but ignored others. I sent him a question about 2 weeks ago and that was ignored too. I just assumed he was doing this to everyone. It appears not...

Ah, man. Don't despair. Try again and - don't take this the wrong way - but check your junk email folder just in case. FWIF, I checked back through my reams of correspondence about this little device (damn, if it isn't little too) and he took a week to respond during what must have been his assembly and shipping onslaught.

Also, something I noticed is the HEADPHONIA reply (from info at headphonia dot com) at a quick glance, looks similar to a "Head-Fi" reply (if you subscribe to any threads and have admin email notifications turned on).

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #349 of 892
Yea, check your spam folder. I have had many a conversation with Robert. Great guy and very responsive to all of my questions.

Plus, something I didn't mention in my last post...I LOVE the form factor of the USB-DAC-Cable (I will post a pic why later).

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #350 of 892
OK, so I have had time to take pics and just started listening. I am not ready to post any (or many) thoughts about sound quality as I will feel comfortable having more time and also, I have some cables on order for the uDAC as well as some parts to make my own silver wire cable.

First, if there are case defects on the Arrow case, I need to get my eyes checked, as I don't see them! Size wise, the Arrow is nice and thin, as thin as a Sansa Fuze. It is about the same length as my 5.5g, and a little smaller than my 3g. I have attached a pic showing those plus an AMP3 and a Shadow. the shadow is about as long as the Arrow is wide, and the Arrow length is about 2 and a half times as wide as the Shadow (just look at the pic
wink.gif
).

OK, why do I love the USB-DAC-Cable? Because it is everything I thought it wouldn't be! There is only one cable to worry about! The uDAC needs a USB cable and RCA to 3.5mm to use with the Arrow. The USB cable included with the uDAC is 3.5 ft, so I ordered the shortest one I could find, 1.5ft (I have to look through my huge box of cables to see if I have anything shorter). And for now I am using the crappy sendstation RCA to 3.5mm cables. I know their mini-mini degrades the sound, so this cable may also.

Back to the amps...while the Shadow is absolutely tiny, I like the Arrow form factor better for use with an iPod/iPhone, and it is a tossup for use with the Fuze IMO.

More impressions in the days ahead. But I have to say I am impressed and happy with my purchase.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #351 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, if there are case defects on the Arrow case, I need to get my eyes checked, as I don't see them!

I also thought about getting my eyes checked. I may have the answer though. It may not be an extrusion flaw or finish defect. I think it's actually a label/printing error. On the bottom end cap's line in, there's a "CHG" label on one side and "IN" on the other. I don't have confirmation from Robert yet, but I can't make sense of the CHG label. It's obviously not for charging.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #352 of 892
Ah, I may have overlooked that. I saw it and thought it was for a charger, not an input. But, it works. That is a pretty awesome feature I didn't even know about, input on both sides for flexibility!

Kudos to Robert for his excellent design, great SQ, and features at this price point!

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #353 of 892
Quote:

First, if there are case defects on the Arrow case, I need to get my eyes checked, as I don't see them!

From what I can tell Robert is hyper-meticulous regarding everything to do with his amps. Be it form, aesthetics or function. I'm not surprised it is a non-consequential (read, near invisible until pointed out) aesthetic "flaw".
As I was one of the first to order and receive an Arrow, I did not want to come off as gushing (or in any way a fan boy). Now that others can see/hear for themselves I feel more comfortable saying that I hear and believe this to be a very high end amp at an extremely reasonable price (made in Germany no less). I can't wait for Pico Slim comparisons but I believe the Arrow proves that manufacturers can make a great product for less than we have come to expect to pay.
Quote:

On the bottom end cap's line in, there's a "CHG" label on one side and "IN" on the other. I don't have confirmation from Robert yet, but I can't make sense of the CHG label. It's obviously not for charging.

As my amp does not have the dreaded "flaw" I cannot speak to it. When I emailed about the chg. input I was told that it was an input as well as a possible future charging port for an iPod/Arrow charge cable that has not yet been developed. I don't know if this is going to become a reality or not but am happy to have the flexibility of two inputs, as mentioned by AverageJoe. Has no-one with this newer run of Arrows asked/emailed about what the "flaw" is?

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #355 of 892
Thanks, too bad either my lighting sucks, my camera sucks, or I suck at taking pictures! But I must say, it is fun to play with all the features. Crossfeed on, bass boost on, higher impedance with a higher gain so I don't need to touch the volume!

And the auto on/off feature is cool as well. I guess the biggest bummer is the case doesn't say Arrow (or Arrow 12HE) on it.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #358 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by rehabitat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you guys won't open a new thread then I'll have to do it for you. You've got 24hrs...

HAHA! Thanks for reigning us in - again, rehabitat. I'll kick one off today.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #359 of 892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has no-one with this newer run of Arrows asked/emailed about what the "flaw" is?

I've asked, but didn't receive a response. It's one of the very few questions Robert hasn't responded to. I let it go, assuming he's wicked busy, and what do I really care? He sending us replacements. I suppose I can do a stare-and-compare when I receive the new case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back