Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Nov 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #76 of 921
Just received my cheap Chinese 8$ ipad camera connection kit / sd card reader / usb hub combo ordered through ebay.
Turned Fiio X3 to usb dac mode, connected the fiio to the camera connection kit with the usb cable and connected the kit to my ipad 3 through the 30pin dock connector.
The fiio x3 dispayed its receiving 44khz/24bit from the ipad... And that it is charging itself from the ipad... Plugged in the headphones (clurrently Philips x1) and it sounds great as usual!
This works because the Chinese camera connection kit is misrepresenting usb power consumption, tricking the ipad into thinling a low power consuming dac is connected while the fiio in fact drains it ... Not extremely fast though, about 1% per say 3 minutes which is acceptable.

But it would be even greater if the X3 could have a setting to turn off usb charging - I don' t know if that would be possible? If that was possible, the X3 might even work with an iphone!

Now why would one want to do that?

The answer is Spotify!!! And all other streaming services! For those wanting better sq than spotify i can recommend quobuz - quobuz offers an ipad app with a cd quality flac streaming service for 19€ per month. i'm just at this moment running spotify on the ipad connected to the X3 while typing this on the ipad - it works! But running spotify consumes power for the wlan connection on the ipad plus the drain on the X3... So a usb dac without charging option would be phantastic.
i might be able to solve this by connecting the camera kit to a usb charger but that solution would not be very portable and require a rather long usb cable if i want to sit comfortable on my sofa...

By the way one stupid question - what are the two bars at the bottom of the usb dac display of the X3 - is that balance for left/right channel?

The fiio x3 is running 3.22 beta fw, the ipad runs ios7.
If you want to try this with your ipad mini / ipad air you'll need to purchase a lightning to 30 pin connector in addition - or perhaps there are already lightning camera kits that underreport usb piwer consumption - I don't know.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #77 of 921
What I meant was that if your playlists are on the root folder of the SD card you can use relative pathing without "../" coming up
redface.gif

Although, if I'm correct, using relative paths you won't be able to use music of both internal and SD. I believe you'd get a file not found error as soon as it hit an internally based file.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #78 of 921
Hello to any fellow modders on this thread! I'm curious how easy it would be to change the name of the Eq presets. I see this as a band-aid solution to not being able to set and name multiple Eq's for my IEMs. For instance, I could rename "Rock" to "Altone200" and then adjust the sub-bass up a bit and the upper mids down a bit to find-tune their sound signature. I could similarly set custom Eq's for my other IEM and easily switch between them. I'm figuring the current Eq presets must be defined in a config file. I don't have much time to poke around today but thought I'd throw the idea out there for others to explore...

Good idea. Just had a look at the folders, and there is a eq.ini file in the str folder which contains all the preset names.

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #79 of 921
Thanx for FW update. IMHO music with bigger soundstage, better instrument separation. It seems that the play to louder. With FW 3.0 my standard volume was set to 19. At version 3.22 am had to loudness set to 15.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #81 of 921
9724 files playing on random/shuffle via .M3U playlist.  Once I click on the playlist file, it takes about 2 minutes to activate.   X3 successfully remembers where it was after power down/up. 

Interestingly, when I created the playlist as a .M3U8 file, it would hang- smaller playlists of around 1000 songs were fine with .M3U8 but not the 9724 file playlist.  So, for larger files, .M3U seems better, unless I am missing something.

Very excited about this.  

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #82 of 921
  9724 files playing on random/shuffle via .M3U playlist.  Once I click on the playlist file, it takes about 2 minutes to activate.   X3 successfully remembers where it was after power down/up. 

Interestingly, when I created the playlist as a .M3U8 file, it would hang- smaller playlists of around 1000 songs were fine with .M3U8 but not the 9724 file playlist.  So, for larger files, .M3U seems better, unless I am missing something.

Very excited about this.  

I had the opposite observation but I used mediamonkey to generate the m3u and foobar to generate the m3u8 for 8300 songs.  The m3u never loaded and the m3u8 loaded after 2 minutes or so.

Track position memory works very well for me also. 

This is the first time that I have felt the X3 was usable since I bought it in July. Last week I had put the x3 away and went back to my Zune 120gb because I was tired of not being able to shuffle all of my music on the newer firmwares and the 2.1 firmware just has so many issues.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #83 of 921
Gapless fixed? Don't think so, just heard that clicking noise again. And the database still can't handle disc id (multi disc sets). Otherwise 3.22b looks and listens awesome so far. Keep up the great support, fiio!

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #84 of 921
I do not think that the gapless issue has been fixed either. I do like the idea that the EQ works even though the line out.  Very helpful in my case.

I still think FIIO should add the ability to have the unit just go the next folder when one folder is done playing when playing songs in what think of as "folder mode".
Of course that should be optional (yes no slider like other options).    That is one of the nicer features in Rockbox in my view.

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #86 of 921
+1000 on this!  It's beyond annoying when I turn off the player or even jump back to the main navigation and have to scroll all the way back to the "M" section in order to pick another artist.  The scroll function is so slow it takes forever to get there.

Lol.
Yep, have to navigate back but the scrolling is real deal breaker. Think I should go back to using my z ultra.

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #87 of 921
+1 on navigation path

+1000 on this!  It's beyond annoying when I turn off the player or even jump back to the main navigation and have to scroll all the way back to the "M" section in order to pick another artist.  The scroll function is so slow it takes forever to get there.

The path memory thing has apparently been achieved with the latest X5 beta so hopefully an X3 beta will not be far behind. :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #89 of 921
Also, Joe, my X3 is having the infamous freeze problem during library update again. Any ideas why? I'm not sure what the details are on how many folders are aloud. I have at max 4 folders deep. I have also deleted all but audio and cover.jpg files, as recommended.

I've formatted my card using recommended tools in this subforum.

Would appreciate ideas on what may be wrong. I use a 64GB SanDisk Ultra from early this year.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #90 of 921
Also, Joe, my X3 is having the infamous freeze problem during library update again. Any ideas why? I'm not sure what the details are on how many folders are aloud. I have at max 4 folders deep. I have also deleted all but audio and cover.jpg files, as recommended.

I've formatted my card using recommended tools in this subforum.

Would appreciate ideas on what may be wrong. I use a 64GB SanDisk Ultra from early this year.

From what I've read freezing during a library update is likely due to bad tags/artwork. I would suggest using mp3tag (or similar) and try removing all tags except artist, album, track, etc. Just keep the basics. I also like to keep my artwork smallish (and embedded), just to avoid complications. If you have your files organized alphabetically take note of where it freezes. That might give you an idea of what files may be causing the problem - if it freezes earlier, could be at beginning of alphabet (this is assuming the update process is also alphabetical).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back