Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Nov 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #61 of 921
  It actually is not a problem for me at all since I use scripts to create my playlists, and just do the replacement automatically ("piped through sed"). But I would expect that most people are using GUI based tools and would find it harder to diagnose the problem. And it would be a shame for Fiio to have made the effort to recognise / instead of \, and handling Mac/Unix end of line, but to miss handling ../. So you are correct - a simple search and replace in a text editor would almost certainly work.

Thanks for the info regarding the drive names. I tried B:/ (probably) and ../ at some point but I don't think I tried b:\ once I realised that ..\ would work for my purposes. After playing with playlists for a bit I'm starting to think that absolute ones are more useful (contrary to my initial thoughts!) and I'll be making use of that soon. 
beerchug.gif

Do you (or anyone else, for that matter) know if the X3 makes use of the EXTINF lines? I just see the full line of text in the path entry on the X3 screen no matter what I've tried so far in the EXTINF line.

Never tried extinf. Did try using Musicbee to save the playlists in extm3u format. Just got a white screen when I selected it, and had to reboot.

Sorry everyone, I seem to be taking over this thread, but OTOH I am exercising the new playlist functionality quite a bit...

So, I'm now using \ instead of / because there are too many things that aren't yet working with /, and I can now get most things to work. My current problem is files with question marks in. e.g. The Smiths' "How Soon is Now?.flac". Currently the X3 will just skip to the next track when it gets to one of these so I'm guessing that the '?' has to be escaped somehow. Anyone know how?

Does it even try to play the files? I found one album in my playlist (Arcana I believe) that would seem to freeze for a few secs. then skip to the next track. Not sure if its the files that are corrupted or the playlist.

Nov 15, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #62 of 921

Never tried extinf. Did try using Musicbee to save the playlists in extm3u format. Just got a white screen when I selected it, and had to reboot.

Does it even try to play the files? I found one album in my playlist (Arcana I believe) that would seem to freeze for a few secs. then skip to the next track. Not sure if its the files that are corrupted or the playlist.

I've tried a few times with EXTINF and I'm 90% certain the X3 totally ignores them.

For the files with a '?' in the name it briefly flashes up the file not supported message and then moves onto the next one. In my case, I'm certain that it's the playlist which is the problem because I can navigate to those files and play them directly without any problem - though the browser doesn't display the question mark properly..

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #65 of 921
So I've been swapping my card in and out of the X3 and my earlier problem was definitely not the X3's fault. Rebooting the Mac has cleared up all the card "errors" which were clearly just being misreported.

But I have found some inconsistencies with the handling of / versus \ in the m3u files. If you use / in the paths, relative paths work providing you don't start them with "..". I couldn't get absolute paths to work but I'm not sure that B: references the SD card. If it does, then absolute paths don't work with / (maybe prefixing with B:\ and then keeping / everywhere else would have worked). I worked around this by using \ in all my relative paths - but this is painful for Mac and Unix users. Absolute paths will never work without manual intervention but it would be good to get "../" recognised.

My suggestion would be to put playlist files on the root folder of the SD card :xf_eek:

If you have lots of loose music files also in the root folder I would suggest naming the playlist files "z[Playlist]" to push the playlists to the end of the list so you can access them with one quick anticlockwise turn of the wheel. That or put your loose music files into folders :wink:

Meanwhile we will work on getting ../ recognized :xf_eek:

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 16, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #66 of 921
Sorry everyone, I seem to be taking over this thread, but OTOH I am exercising the new playlist functionality quite a bit...

So, I'm now using \ instead of / because there are too many things that aren't yet working with /, and I can now get most things to work. My current problem is files with question marks in. e.g. The Smiths' "How Soon is Now?.flac". Currently the X3 will just skip to the next track when it gets to one of these so I'm guessing that the '?' has to be escaped somehow. Anyone know how?

You can have file names with question marks in them? :blink: :blink: :blink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #67 of 921
You can have file names with question marks in them?
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

Yes - no problem at all using a Mac (and Linux too, I suspect). It's so easy, I didn't even do it deliberately 
redface.gif

The question mark shows up as a box with an X in it on the device, so I don't think it was expecting it (same with the song title in the categories view), or maybe it is some weird unicode character which looks like a question mark. I did try manually renaming it with a question mark to rule out the unicode thing, though.

The / vs \ is not a problem for me as I'm using scripts to create my playlists, but I did try using VLC to create a playlist, and it does use / on the Mac. I don't know about other tools. I think therefore, it is worth fixing as it will catch out the Mac (and Linux, probably) users who are using other tools.

The other thing with / which is probably worth fixing is when the X3 displays the titles in the playlist it displays the whole path if you use / rather than just the filename if you use \. The code is obviously searching back to find the first \ to work out the file name and doesn't find it when you use /.

But I take your point about the absolute paths... If you use absolute paths you are going to have to go in and edit it manually no matter how you create it, so the user may as well replace the \ with / at the same time.

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #68 of 921
You can have file names with question marks in them? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Yes - no problem at all using a Mac (and Linux too, I suspect). It's so easy, I didn't even do it deliberately :xf_eek: .

The question mark shows up as a box with an X in it on the device, so I don't think it was expecting it (same with the song title in the categories view), or maybe it is some weird unicode character which looks like a question mark. I did try manually renaming it with a question mark to rule out the unicode thing, though.

The / vs \ is not a problem for me as I'm using scripts to create my playlists, but I did try using VLC to create a playlist, and it does use / on the Mac. I don't know about other tools. I think therefore, it is worth fixing as it will catch out the Mac (and Linux, probably) users who are using other tools.

The other thing with / which is probably worth fixing is when the X3 displays the titles in the playlist it displays the whole path if you use / rather than just the filename if you use \. The code is obviously searching back to find the first \ to work out the file name and doesn't find it when you use /.

But I take your point about the absolute paths... If you use absolute paths you are going to have to go in and edit it manually no matter how you create it, so the user may as well replace the \ with / at the same time.

What I meant was that if your playlists are on the root folder of the SD card you can use relative pathing without "../" coming up :xf_eek:

Nov 16, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #69 of 921
What I meant was that if your playlists are on the root folder of the SD card you can use relative pathing without "../" coming up
redface.gif

True 
redface.gif

By using "\" in my scripts I'm avoiding that problem anyway now, but that's a good way for other playlist generators.

So, I think my ? problem, and my last(?) remaining problem is related. I'm saving my playlists as UTF-8, but the X3 is reading them as ascii (or at least, I strongly suspect that). The same thing happens with VLC generated lists - they are UTF-8 but the X3 doesn't seem to read them correctly. When it reads a file with special characters in, sometimes it crashes and dumps it's registers to the screen but, more often, it can't find the referenced file so just skips it with an "Unsupported" message and then just plays the next file fine.

How do I get the X3 to recognise the file as UTF-8 instead of plain ascii? I've tried changing the EXTM3U and file extensions, but the same thing happens. Does it need a BOM (I thought I'd read on one of the threads for the other devices that it doesn't)? Or have I misdiagnosed the problem?

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #71 of 921
Good job.
Before releasing the stable version, is there still a chance to fix the "cover cropping" issue and maybe finally introduce the feature to remember the navigation path once X3 is switch off/on (which folder / which artist-album a user was is) ?
Thanks

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #73 of 921
I use only 320 mp3 files, but NO issues thus far with this new firmware-  starts up perfectly at "last position," eq WORKS WELL(THANK YOU!), and playlist is SIMPLE with Foobar.  I also tested the 5800 limit using a playlist, and very easily had 6750 tracks on random, all on the tf card.  It just took about 3 minutes to load the playlist, which to me is not dealbreaker at all.   I'm likely going to buy a 128gb card to load my whole collection of 320 mp3's on, then make on playlist for those times I just want to truly random shuffle.  If 6700 worked so smoothly, I can't see why 11,000 won't, it'll just take longer to load the playlist the first time.  

GREAT update.  

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #74 of 921
Thanks for the excellent support.

I wonder if there'll be changes to the navigation.
Navigating through files, I have a constant nagging "issue":

If I go to another folder from the "now playing" screen and decide not to select any files, I need to go all the way up to the root if I want to I go back to the "now playing" screen.
And the next time I hit the same button combination to, say, go up one folder, I am back in the root. I have to remember where the file that is currently playing is, and go there manually.

I wonder if you could make it so that I navigate from the "now playing" screen each time, and not from root.

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #75 of 921
Hello to any fellow modders on this thread! I'm curious how easy it would be to change the name of the Eq presets. I see this as a band-aid solution to not being able to set and name multiple Eq's for my IEMs. For instance, I could rename "Rock" to "Altone200" and then adjust the sub-bass up a bit and the upper mids down a bit to find-tune their sound signature. I could similarly set custom Eq's for my other IEM and easily switch between them. I'm figuring the current Eq presets must be defined in a config file. I don't have much time to poke around today but thought I'd throw the idea out there for others to explore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back