Official X3 1st gen firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit, play through folders--Happy Chinese New Year!
Nov 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #16 of 921
Awesome, thank you

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #17 of 921

Funny you say this, I don't see a difference in sound compared to the 2.14 beta.

I tried to put all sliders at max (+6 db), then decrease each level one by one and still can't hear a real difference.

It seems for me that tone settings has much more impact on sound than the EQ.

I use +2 Bass and +6 Trebbles with my Grado SR80i, if someone can find a clearer (or brighter) sound (without loosing on bass depth) with EQ, thanks in advance for giving us your setings!

I haven't actually tried out the eq yet, I had just  seen the instruction document in the download. I was just commenting that it looked easier to operate than the previous beta that had eq.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 921
I don't really care for the EQ. I prefer as before to keep the base and treble set to zero for a balanced sound. It's nice to have the option though. I did try out some of the presets and having it turned on seems to lower the volume a bit. I find the gapless works perfectly now, no pops or cracks which is nice.

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #19 of 921
Here's a Mac/Linux script to generate a playlist in the current directory comprising all the flac files in the sub-directories nested within it. It's only lightly tested, but anyone likely to be running this will probably know enough to spot/fix any bugs that matter to them - and to convert it to work with mp3s, aac, or whatever other files you want it to work with. Make sure that it will do what you want it to do in a test directory on whichever system you plan running it on before running it whilst cd'ed to your SD card (or anything important)

#!/bin/bash
FN=$(basename "${PWD}").m3u
echo "#EXTM3U" >"${FN}"
find . -name "*.flac" >>"${FN}"
sed -i "" "s-^./--g" "${FN}"

This might help, for example, those people wanting to play multiple directories by building a playlist in the root part of whatever hierarchy they want to play continuously.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 921
I always thought that when you increase the bass on the normal bass boost on the X3, it doesn't sound the deepest of bass that it is increasing. I think I have heard that it is around 100hz. On the new equalizer, I have put 64hz up to +4 and that sounds very good with my AKG K550s. When I am on the move, the deep bass isn't as noticeable. I think this should make a big difference. If I am after even more, I will boost the normal bass up a little bit more.

When I went from EQ off to EQ on on my old player, it had the same amount of volume lost as the X3 does for some reason. It doesn't really matter with the X3 though because I just switch it to high gain to get to the same volume.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #21 of 921
I believe that the reason the volume is lower with the eq on is because that will stop the x3 from clipping if a person uses full boost. I could be wrong, but I thought I read something along those lines in the x5/x1 threads.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #22 of 921
Something strange I have just noticed is that the EQ comes through the line out. Very strange although my old player did do this. The high/low gain and bass/treble controls don't work through the line out at all.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #23 of 921
Something strange I have just noticed is that the EQ comes through the line out. Very strange although my old player did do this. The high/low gain and bass/treble controls don't work through the line out at all.

Not strange at all .. Gain and bass and treble control are hardware implemented towards the amp section of the player .. Not the line out path .. Unlike the software eq .. I think it is in the cpu of the player in the decoding or something like that.. So it will affect both routes ... So bad that i sold my player before that FW release!

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #24 of 921
I installed FW 3.22b a short while ago. The download took around 20 minutes! Are there that many people downloading a X3 FW at the same time?

Anyway, my first concern was that the sound would be similar to FW 3.21b. I was pleased to hear no difference. It was so similar that I double checked to make sure that "About X3" actually said 3.22. I put everything to my usual settings and skipped thru different kinds of music, and it still sounded great, with no problems moving between tracks.

I played around a little bit with the equalizer, but nothing sounded as good as the non-equalized setting. Admittedly I didn't give the settings much of a chance, by trying to have the volume levels equal. I'll explore the equalizer again when I'm in the mood. Since I like to have folders-as-playlists, I haven't explored other features. But I'm glad that the most current FW is also my favorite.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #26 of 921
Here's a Mac/Linux script to generate a playlist in the current directory comprising all the flac files in the sub-directories nested within it. It's only lightly tested, but anyone likely to be running this will probably know enough to spot/fix any bugs that matter to them - and to convert it to work with mp3s, aac, or whatever other files you want it to work with. Make sure that it will do what you want it to do in a test directory on whichever system you plan running it on before running it whilst cd'ed to your SD card (or anything important)

[rule]#!/bin/bash
FN=$(basename "${PWD}").m3u
echo "#EXTM3U" >"${FN}"
find . -name "*.flac" >>"${FN}"
sed -i "" "s-^./--g" "${FN}"
[rule]
This might help, for example, those people wanting to play multiple directories by building a playlist in the root part of whatever hierarchy they want to play continuously.

The idea is good I have no idea how to utilize the idea in windows. I am more of an advanced user than a programmer.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #27 of 921
Joe & Fiio!

Thanks!  Incredible update.  Not slow with eq!  Awesome.  Guaranteed to sell more Fiio product in my family now.  Well done.

How do I go about making a playlist now?
Also, can I make a playlist of "all songs" to exceed the 5800 limit now?

Cheers
Andy

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #30 of 921
There is a playlist folder in internal storage. I have copied all the playlist files here. My songs are on external mem card and x3 doesn't play the list. Am i missing something or this is an issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back