Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jun 20, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #3,436 of 4,324
I've seen some tests that showed, thet an LDAC Connection is pretty much identical do an cable connection.

This have to be taken with a grain of salt as this assumes an perfect conneciton which, of course, can not always be guaranteed. But there was one guy measureing the output using USB DAC and Bluetooth and comparing them and did not find any difference.

But it was just one guy doing one test, it seems the interest ins not big enough to do any further testing as most audiophiles just don't use Bluetooth at all.

But i use my DAP as Bluetooth Receiver quite often, especially outside the house, and i have not heard any difference in sound quality yet.

But i always force highest quality which, sometimes, causes connection issues. So skipping parts and stuff like that when there are a lot of disturbing signals like on big train stations.
I force highest quality as well since it is for home use. :)

Jun 29, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #3,438 of 4,324
My carer found this on the floor this morning. I immediately recognised it, that it was off my cable & recall having them on other devices.

It was open & I closed it up & can’t see how to open it up again.

I’ve never known exactly what it is, or what purpose it serves ? I checked my DMP & everything is working ok, playing, transferring & charging.

Do I need to get this fixed back on the cable ? I can’t recall the exact position it fits around the cable ?

It’s awhile ago now, but one came off another cable / device & I vaguely recall something wasn’t working then ? ( & I just panicked thinking of this, but as I said, everything appears to be working correctly. )

Attachments

• DE216C88-DE1D-4EA8-BCA7-0618E2180D9D.jpeg
    DE216C88-DE1D-4EA8-BCA7-0618E2180D9D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Jul 4, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #3,439 of 4,324
My carer found this on the floor this morning. I immediately recognised it, that it was off my cable & recall having them on other devices.

It was open & I closed it up & can’t see how to open it up again.

I’ve never known exactly what it is, or what purpose it serves ? I checked my DMP & everything is working ok, playing, transferring & charging.

Do I need to get this fixed back on the cable ? I can’t recall the exact position it fits around the cable ?

It’s awhile ago now, but one came off another cable / device & I vaguely recall something wasn’t working then ? ( & I just panicked thinking of this, but as I said, everything appears to be working correctly. )
You don't need to send it back to Sony because the metal ferrite fell down you cam put it back

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #3,440 of 4,324
You don't need to send it back to Sony because the metal ferrite fell down you cam put it back

Thanks for reply. I asked on another forum & they explained what it was & it’s function. ( When I read, it triggered my memory, that I had read about it’s function before, quite sometime ago. )

I’ve actually just looked again at how you open it ( & I have ) & clipped it back around the cable.

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #3,441 of 4,324
I don't remember when I first heard of the DMP-Z1. Beautiful, I thought, and capable, but why replace the computer? Be nice if I could justify it.

Move forward a few years. There are times I don't want to start the computer. A portable player would do the job. My Pono Player had become gummy and sticky, and it lacked power. It never really worked well. I was also annoyed: investments going into the tank, while the managers always get their cut. Can't I have some fun with my money too? I remembered the DMP. Do it.

Oops. I waited too long. Apparently it has been discontinued. Not quite yet, though; I found a place that had some and decided to stop dithering and buy it.

First impressions: The box is bigger than expected. An unboxing unlike any other. The unit itself is imposing, much bigger than it looks in photographs. I charged the batter and connected it to my Mac music server to copy a few albums. Then I plugged in the LCD-4 headphones and drifted off. It sounds as good as anything else I've heard, no matter the type of music. Physically beautiful and makes beautiful sound. I can't ask for any more.

I like the muting function. There's a lot of variability in recordings, so starting low is good. I did set High Gain for a better match with my 'phones.

It is portable enough. It has enough power to run my chosen headphones. I'm glad I have it.

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #3,442 of 4,324
I don't remember when I first heard of the DMP-Z1. Beautiful, I thought, and capable, but why replace the computer? Be nice if I could justify it.

Move forward a few years. There are times I don't want to start the computer. A portable player would do the job. My Pono Player had become gummy and sticky, and it lacked power. It never really worked well. I was also annoyed: investments going into the tank, while the managers always get their cut. Can't I have some fun with my money too? I remembered the DMP. Do it.

Oops. I waited too long. Apparently it has been discontinued. Not quite yet, though; I found a place that had some and decided to stop dithering and buy it.

First impressions: The box is bigger than expected. An unboxing unlike any other. The unit itself is imposing, much bigger than it looks in photographs. I charged the batter and connected it to my Mac music server to copy a few albums. Then I plugged in the LCD-4 headphones and drifted off. It sounds as good as anything else I've heard, no matter the type of music. Physically beautiful and makes beautiful sound. I can't ask for any more.

I like the muting function. There's a lot of variability in recordings, so starting low is good. I did set High Gain for a better match with my 'phones.

It is portable enough. It has enough power to run my chosen headphones. I'm glad I have it.
Congratulations! I am a latecomer myself. I was fortunate to take over @Damz87 ’s unit. Do play around with it. It streams as well, either via the USB DAC or via BT (up to LDAC). You can also choose to run it via DC rather than battery as well. Lotsa options. The various DSP options including DSD upsampling are great too.

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #3,443 of 4,324
I haven't moved into the Streaming Age, other than to sample music on Youtube. I buy CDs, buy albums to download from Hyperion and Bandcamp and Artistshare. That all resides on a 2 TB RAID-1 SSD system, directly attached. I've compared 16-bit, 44.1kHz files to 24-bit, 96kHz files, some recorded myself, some purchased from other sources. My conclusion is that while my hearing is pretty good I can't hear any differences consistently. Sometimes I think the 24-bit files are more enveloping, but then I run into a really good 16-bit recording and become enveloped in that. A good recording through a good DAC is going to sound good.

I spent some time this afternoon writing. Headphones on, listening to Dave Brubeck, Renaissance, Peter Gabriel and Joshua Bell. What comes out of the 'phones depends on what's on the record. The Joshua Bell album ("French Impressions") is well recorded and sounds lovely. I haven't tried any of the other reconstruction filters yet.

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #3,444 of 4,324
I haven't moved into the Streaming Age, other than to sample music on Youtube. I buy CDs, buy albums to download from Hyperion and Bandcamp and Artistshare. That all resides on a 2 TB RAID-1 SSD system, directly attached. I've compared 16-bit, 44.1kHz files to 24-bit, 96kHz files, some recorded myself, some purchased from other sources. My conclusion is that while my hearing is pretty good I can't hear any differences consistently. Sometimes I think the 24-bit files are more enveloping, but then I run into a really good 16-bit recording and become enveloped in that. A good recording through a good DAC is going to sound good.

I spent some time this afternoon writing. Headphones on, listening to Dave Brubeck, Renaissance, Peter Gabriel and Joshua Bell. What comes out of the 'phones depends on what's on the record. The Joshua Bell album ("French Impressions") is well recorded and sounds lovely. I haven't tried any of the other reconstruction filters yet.
Ah… One thing I have learned since moving into streaming is that you are much less limited on what is available. Agree: the higher resolution stuff gives you more of the space in between which is stripped out in redbook albums. Do give the DSD upsampling option available on the DMP and see what you think. :)

Enjoy! And once again, congrats on a great buy!

Jul 7, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #3,446 of 4,324
I understand that I'd get nearly unlimited choices in streaming music. Something in me resists doing it, even from CD-quality sources. Maybe I'm just too cheap...

Is there a secret to getting the DMP to read from a micro-SD card? I've formatted cards on the DMP, then copied files to the card using either a PC or a Mac. The files are there, and the DMP takes longer to update the library than it does with a blank card. The music never shows up in the Albums list. I've tried multiple cards in both slots and nothing has worked. I can't believe both slots are faulty, so I'm thinking I'm not doing something correctly.

Copying directly to the machine's memory using the USB cable works perfectly, and it plays all the formats I've tried.

Jul 7, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #3,447 of 4,324
I understand that I'd get nearly unlimited choices in streaming music. Something in me resists doing it, even from CD-quality sources. Maybe I'm just too cheap...

Is there a secret to getting the DMP to read from a micro-SD card? I've formatted cards on the DMP, then copied files to the card using either a PC or a Mac. The files are there, and the DMP takes longer to update the library than it does with a blank card. The music never shows up in the Albums list. I've tried multiple cards in both slots and nothing has worked. I can't believe both slots are faulty, so I'm thinking I'm not doing something correctly.

Copying directly to the machine's memory using the USB cable works perfectly, and it plays all the formats I've tried.
Haha! It works out to be a whole lot cheaper than buying CDs. Without the clutter. :wink:

As the issue you have with the SD card, as with all Sony players, you have to create a folder named “MUSIC” in the root directory and plonk the music files inside there in order for Sony to recognise the music files. Hope that helps.

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #3,448 of 4,324
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #3,449 of 4,324
Ah man, I told you to ping me if you ever thought about selling it to add to my used @Damz87 collection. It recently piqued my interest again, but missed out by a few months!
Sorry @stephze I completely forgot you mentioned that! It was quite a long time ago 😆 anyway, perhaps it’s worth trying the new WM1ZM2. For me, it has filled the gap of DMP-Z1 and I don’t miss it at all.

Jul 8, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #3,450 of 4,324
Sorry @stephze I completely forgot you mentioned that! It was quite a long time ago 😆 anyway, perhaps it’s worth trying the new WM1ZM2. For me, it has filled the gap of DMP-Z1 and I don’t miss it at all.
Lockdowns made me lose a year of my mind! Maybe give the Wm1z m2 a go this year. I’ve been loving the Tazzy lately and picked up a cheap wm1a off FB last year which pairs well. Might pick your brain later about what you like comparatively. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back