Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jul 8, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #3,451 of 4,318
Sorry @stephze I completely forgot you mentioned that! It was quite a long time ago 😆 anyway, perhaps it’s worth trying the new WM1ZM2. For me, it has filled the gap of DMP-Z1 and I don’t miss it at all.
How much more close is the 1M Z2 to the DMP?

Jul 8, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #3,452 of 4,318
I understand that I'd get nearly unlimited choices in streaming music. Something in me resists doing it, even from CD-quality sources. Maybe I'm just too cheap...

Is there a secret to getting the DMP to read from a micro-SD card? I've formatted cards on the DMP, then copied files to the card using either a PC or a Mac. The files are there, and the DMP takes longer to update the library than it does with a blank card. The music never shows up in the Albums list. I've tried multiple cards in both slots and nothing has worked. I can't believe both slots are faulty, so I'm thinking I'm not doing something correctly.

Copying directly to the machine's memory using the USB cable works perfectly, and it plays all the formats I've tried.
Files must be inside fokder cqlled Music. You need to move your already copied files and folders to this directoey

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #3,453 of 4,318
Thank you for the responses.

Following Pono Player practices, I simply formatted the cards in the DMP-Z1, then transferred music without opening the card on the computer. Last night, troubleshooting, I opened a card to make sure the music files were there, and noticed the MUSIC folder. I dragged the files inside that and all is well; both slots work as intended.

A note on WAV files:
The DMP will play WAV files but it doesn't recognize metadata applied with Itunes. There is no standard for metadata in the WAV specification. I end up with these files after using Exact Audio Copy to copy music from CDs having defects that Itunes can't handle. Maybe 1 in 100 discs. EAC will export either WAV or MP3, with tags. Itunes will read those tags. Most of my EAC copies I've converted to Apple Lossless but a few older ones are still WAV. I used some of these older files in testing and ended up with lots of UNKNOWN tracks.

Volume experiences:
Before buying the DMP, I looked into Sony's other advanced player, the one that just got updated to mark 2. It was looking good until I saw that it has a typical portable power output of 60mW. I didn't think that would work well with my planar magnetic headphones because they need power. The Benchmark DAC1 HDR drives them easily, with the volume control at about 10 o'clock. The DMP needed its volume at about 12 to 1 o'clock until I turned on high power mode. Now it's usually around 11 o'clock.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #3,455 of 4,318
I've seen some tests that showed, thet an LDAC Connection is pretty much identical do an cable connection.

This have to be taken with a grain of salt as this assumes an perfect conneciton which, of course, can not always be guaranteed. But there was one guy measureing the output using USB DAC and Bluetooth and comparing them and did not find any difference.

But it was just one guy doing one test, it seems the interest ins not big enough to do any further testing as most audiophiles just don't use Bluetooth at all.

But i use my DAP as Bluetooth Receiver quite often, especially outside the house, and i have not heard any difference in sound quality yet.

But i always force highest quality which, sometimes, causes connection issues. So skipping parts and stuff like that when there are a lot of disturbing signals like on big train stations.
Hopefully places like Linus Tech tips' Lab content may explore that in the future.

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #3,456 of 4,318
Hopefully places like Linus Tech tips' Lab content may explore that in the future.
There are already measurements of that^^ even several. So I think it's pretty much proven at this point.

But Linus Tech Tips is, imho, not a reliable source. I didn't even knew that he has Audio content but most of its other content is just entertainment and often heavily lacks basic understanding on how things work or just straight up wrong information. I mean, he is just an YouTuber, nothing more, nothing less. He is an Entertainer.

He is just throwing his YouTube money hard enough and hopes nobody notices his lack of knowledge due to his production value.

Imho it's the same issue with satirical content and politics. As soon someone puts his knowledge on surface level into an entertaining package, people suddenly mistake it for knowledge

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #3,457 of 4,318
A note on WAV files:
The DMP will play WAV files but it doesn't recognize metadata applied with Itunes. There is no standard for metadata in the WAV specification. I end up with these files after using Exact Audio Copy to copy music from CDs having defects that Itunes can't handle. Maybe 1 in 100 discs. EAC will export either WAV or MP3, with tags. Itunes will read those tags. Most of my EAC copies I've converted to Apple Lossless but a few older ones are still WAV. I used some of these older files in testing and ended up with lots of UNKNOWN tracks.
EAC can also export to FLAC, which is lossless and fully supported by the DMP.

Jul 8, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #3,458 of 4,318
There are already measurements of that^^ even several. So I think it's pretty much proven at this point.

But Linus Tech Tips is, imho, not a reliable source. I didn't even knew that he has Audio content but most of its other content is just entertainment and often heavily lacks basic understanding on how things work or just straight up wrong information. I mean, he is just an YouTuber, nothing more, nothing less. He is an Entertainer.

He is just throwing his YouTube money hard enough and hopes nobody notices his lack of knowledge due to his production value.

Imho it's the same issue with satirical content and politics. As soon someone puts his knowledge on surface level into an entertaining package, people suddenly mistake it for knowledge
That's exactly why he build the lab, he plan to make comprehensive repository of objective data using professional grade gear done by people well versed in each niche. watch Crin's video about tips he gave to linus.
Linus is a great mc, his knowledge span to quite a lot of things, and the stuff he knows is deep enough to ask the right questions to the right people.
The problem with this is there's no standard on testing how true a tech spec is, one guy say so, one manufacturer say so, most just follow along. Then when truth is found, information of it is not propagated well enough
What is production value in LTT videos? They thrive in being janky and off the cuff 🤣

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #3,459 of 4,318
That's exactly why he build the lab, he plan to make comprehensive repository of objective data using professional grade gear done by people well versed in each niche. watch Crin's video about tips he gave to linus.
Linus is a great mc, his knowledge span to quite a lot of things, and the stuff he knows is deep enough to ask the right questions to the right people.
The problem with this is there's no standard on testing how true a tech spec is, one guy say so, one manufacturer say so, most just follow along. Then when truth is found, information of it is not propagated well enough
What is production value in LTT videos? They thrive in being janky and off the cuff 🤣
Crinacles knowledge is just slightly deeper than the average. That is exactly the reason the Dusk sounds broken in many ways. It was tuned to a certain curve completely ignoring the characteristics of the driver.

Just watch his video about "You can see how headphones sound"

For Crinacle, tuning equals sound, but this is not the reality.

It's not that what he says is wrong, the issue is that he is talking only about a very small and specific aspect and is making it sound like this is the most important.

No fr graph teils (especially those involving a coupler or head simulation) you how something sounds. It tells you how something is tuned, nothing more, nothing less.

And I am pretty sure that Whatever Linus is doing will be the same oversimplified level of knowledge that then nerds will spread without even completely understanding this oversimplified version.

I think there is a reason why Sony, Final, Acoustune and other established brands are tuning their devices with musicians and only additionally measure them to verify their findings, and there is a reason why ChiFi is tuned using computers and measurements only.

We already have more than enough upper mids focused In-Ear that make everything sounds harsh and wrong. The least thing we need is more people who support these companies because an YouTuber said that this harsh and unpleasant tuning is what you should listen to because it produces an nice graph.

We need more companies who have the balls to create unique tunings like Final, Audeze and Co.

YouTubers already have way too much power and can force Headphone makers into following an specific tuning by punishing them when they don't.

Sorry for the rant but somehow this Hobby is turning more and more from "Listening to see what sound well" to "What does meet the personal taste of this single YouTuber". It's just sad to read more and more people post "I bought 5 audiophile flagships and they all sound bad so I gave up on audiophile Earphones, they are just a rip off" and then you look what they bought and of course, it's all ChiFi and if course, all because they measured sooo gooooood. People start to question their brain and their ears asking "Is it me or why do all these hyped to death Earphone sound just bad, I rather listen to silence".

This is not what this Hobby was and is about.

Jul 9, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #3,460 of 4,318
Vamp898 said "Sorry for the rant but somehow this Hobby is turning more and more from "Listening to see what sound well" to "What does meet the personal taste of this single YouTuber"."

This is an interesting comment to me because the only way I know of to find out if I like the sound of something is to live with it for a while. How do I make a decision? Why, for example, choose the DMP-Z1 over other DAPs that are much less expensive? I read multiple reviews through about two years. Spending this kind of money isn't a decision made lightly. If I really wanted to find out what I like, I'd have to buy many test units and try them, day in, day out. I can't afford to do that, so I compare reviews and then try it. Sometimes this works out; the DMP has been a delight since the day it arrived. Others have been more problematic.

It was the same way with the LCD-4 I bought. Read reviews, balance and compare. Going to a show would do me no good because the time is too short and the venue is too noisy. It's another purchase I've never regretted.

Now I'm going to try a direct experiment, one that's not too expensive. The DMP has a "balanced" output on a 4.4mm jack. There's also a standard stereo output on a 3.5mm jack. The LCD-4 has a 1/4" connector so I have to use an adapter. I found a cable that omits the adapter in my choice of 3.5mm stereo or 4.4mm "balanced." I decided to try the latter and see what my psychoacoustic system thinks of this set up. Some say it's the cat's meow. Others say it degrades the sound. Who's right? I don't know. There's one way to find out, and this one's cheap enough to try personally, through time, with my DMP and LCD-4. The cable should be here next week.

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #3,462 of 4,318
Well, as most of you guys know, I purchased my DMP-Z1, just gone 12 months ago, last week. Clocking up over 1200 hours, in just under 6 months, before having to be replaced.
I’ve presently clocked up 630 hours with my replacement player & recently had an hearing test, instigated by the fact that I have ear wax build up, which I get periodically, like everyone.
I’m obviously concerned about the hearing loss, but given the test was done, with my ears full of wax, it’s not a true reflection of the loss. I’m being careful of my volume levels, makes you realise how precious hearing is.
Well, I paid to have my ears syringed, this past week & I’m probably hearing my DMP-Z1 at a detailed level, that I hadn’t during the past 12 months. For me, it does highlight again, how truly unique this player is.
Hopefully, continued, sensible listening, for years to come…..

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #3,463 of 4,318
Well, as most of you guys now, I purchased my DMP-Z1, just gone 12 months ago, last week. Clocking up over 1200 hours, in just under 6 months, before having to be replaced.
I’ve presently clocked up 630 hours with my replacement player & recently had an hearing test, instigated by the fact that I have ear wax build up, which I get periodically, like everyone.
I’m obviously concerned about the hearing loss, but given the test was done, with my ears full of wax, it’s not a true reflection of the loss. I’m being careful of my volume levels, makes you realise how precious hearing is.
Well, I paid to have my ears syringed, this past week & I’m probably hearing my DMP-Z1 at a detailed level, that I hadn’t during the past 12 months. For me, it does highlight again, how truly unique this player is.
Hopefully, continued, sensible listening, for years to come…..
It’s a forgone conclusion that this can happen to anyone. You’ll be fine without a doubt

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #3,464 of 4,318
Crinacles knowledge is just slightly deeper than the average. That is exactly the reason the Dusk sounds broken in many ways. It was tuned to a certain curve completely ignoring the characteristics of the driver.

Just watch his video about "You can see how headphones sound"

For Crinacle, tuning equals sound, but this is not the reality.

It's not that what he says is wrong, the issue is that he is talking only about a very small and specific aspect and is making it sound like this is the most important.

No fr graph teils (especially those involving a coupler or head simulation) you how something sounds. It tells you how something is tuned, nothing more, nothing less.

And I am pretty sure that Whatever Linus is doing will be the same oversimplified level of knowledge that then nerds will spread without even completely understanding this oversimplified version.

I think there is a reason why Sony, Final, Acoustune and other established brands are tuning their devices with musicians and only additionally measure them to verify their findings, and there is a reason why ChiFi is tuned using computers and measurements only.

We already have more than enough upper mids focused In-Ear that make everything sounds harsh and wrong. The least thing we need is more people who support these companies because an YouTuber said that this harsh and unpleasant tuning is what you should listen to because it produces an nice graph.

We need more companies who have the balls to create unique tunings like Final, Audeze and Co.

YouTubers already have way too much power and can force Headphone makers into following an specific tuning by punishing them when they don't.

Sorry for the rant but somehow this Hobby is turning more and more from "Listening to see what sound well" to "What does meet the personal taste of this single YouTuber". It's just sad to read more and more people post "I bought 5 audiophile flagships and they all sound bad so I gave up on audiophile Earphones, they are just a rip off" and then you look what they bought and of course, it's all ChiFi and if course, all because they measured sooo gooooood. People start to question their brain and their ears asking "Is it me or why do all these hyped to death Earphone sound just bad, I rather listen to silence".

This is not what this Hobby was and is about.
I agree. Also do you notice that this approach to target Harmon is for younger listeners that don’t typically spend money on a lot of hi-fi. The bulk of collectors that I know are older and are looking for multiple products that are unique and tuned differently; if everything is tuned the same what is the point of buying multiple products to experience different sounds?!

Aug 6, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #3,465 of 4,318
I agree. Also do you notice that this approach to target Harmon is for younger listeners that don’t typically spend money on a lot of hi-fi. The bulk of collectors that I know are older and are looking for multiple products that are unique and tuned differently; if everything is tuned the same what is the point of buying multiple products to experience different sounds?!
I never reference Harmon for that reason. I just want to enjoy what my ears like. The DMP is one of those gems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back