Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Feb 5, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #2,236 of 4,326
@MrWalkman, thanks for your sharing! I am very impressed with Project Z, and it has given new life to my wm1a. Excellent combo with ier z1r. DMP is more lush, layered with depth, and better bass. It sounds a bit more organic and real. But the margin is definitely smaller now with project z. Sound signature is similar. My gf did a blind test using ier z1r(she’s not into audio). I played a straight forward recording with female vocal and acoustic guitar. She was able to correctly point out which is which, but the conclusion was not immediate. The difference is more obvious with more complex recording or headphone usage. After project z installation, I have to max out my 1a volume to reach “adequate” listening level with my Diana phi.

Conclusion: WM1a with iem for no compromise convenience. DMP with headphone for transportable no compromise experience.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #2,237 of 4,326
While looking over the SA-Z1 speakers online (still super curious to try these), I noticed they recommend you plug in the DMP via USB C to USB B.

This had me curious so I tried plugging the DMP into the Kef LS50w via USB. Was pretty surprised this actually worked. I always assumed the USB only.
Photo Feb 08, 10 10 32 PM.jpg

Feb 11, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #2,238 of 4,326
Thank you for Whitigir, I was able to get a lot of information, so I was able to finish this modifying successfully.This is a picture before and after the modifying.
TR025W1_d.webp
Was6CEM_d.webp
FVoiHd4_d.webp
vgzH3bC_d.webp

First of all, I upgrade the internal wiring of my dmp-z1. First i Upgraded internal wires for both 4.4mm / 3.5mm output plugs
sony kimber cable -> crystal cable bridge diamond 4braids
3Py8dZe_d.webp
EI55Fnc_d.webp

second, the attenuator section wiring
Original wires -> soliton copper tsc wire( True Single Crystal wire) ,
FxQqSHc_d.webp
cquNt2T_d.webp

third, the connection between the DC adapter plug and charging board original wires -> crystal cable bridge diamond,
egTgYbg_d.webp
sikCja3_d.webp

and the connection from the charging board to both large and small batteries: original wires -> crystal cable piccolo diamond
ThqM684_d.webp
K4PoNuy_d.webp

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #2,239 of 4,326
Thank you for Whitigir, I was able to get a lot of information, so I was able to finish this modifying successfully.This is a picture before and after the modifying.
TR025W1_d.webp
Was6CEM_d.webp
FVoiHd4_d.webp
vgzH3bC_d.webp

First of all, I upgrade the internal wiring of my dmp-z1. First i Upgraded internal wires for both 4.4mm / 3.5mm output plugs
sony kimber cable -> crystal cable bridge diamond 4braids
3Py8dZe_d.webp
EI55Fnc_d.webp

second, the attenuator section wiring
Original wires -> soliton copper tsc wire ,
FxQqSHc_d.webp
cquNt2T_d.webp

third, the connection between the DC adapter plug and charging board original wires -> crystal cable bridge diamond,
egTgYbg_d.webp
sikCja3_d.webp

and the connection from the charging board to both large and small batteries: original wires -> crystal cable piccolo diamond
ThqM684_d.webp
K4PoNuy_d.webp
Excellent works! Congratulations on a job well done. The DMP Z1 takes a lot of works and guts to get here

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #2,240 of 4,326
Excellent works! Congratulations on a job well done. The DMP Z1 takes a lot of works and guts to get here
The staging got larger as well as the low-ends gaining improvement despite the upgrade wires being made of silver-gold. It sounds especially gorgeous on female vocals

Now I want to buy 300w of hdplex as my next goal, is there any way to purchase it without customs and VAT? And is there any other way to buy it cheaply?

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #2,241 of 4,326
The staging got larger as well as the low-ends gaining improvement despite the upgrade wires being made of silver-gold. It sounds especially gorgeous on female vocals

Now I want to buy 300w of hdplex as my next goal, is there any way to purchase it without customs and VAT? And is there any other way to buy it cheaply?
I am not too sure, I think their main assembly is in HK, you may want to email them and ask ?

Yes, those hard works get paid off for sure

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #2,242 of 4,326
I am not too sure, I think their main assembly is in HK, you may want to email them and ask ?

Yes, those hard works get paid off for sure
Yes, but I'm modified to the new dmp-z1, so I'll listen again and listen to the final review after 200 hours, when the capacitor is aging. Haha

And If you want me to contact you via email, you mean an email to Hdplex headquarters?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #2,247 of 4,326
Hi All, I just received my Z1 and have only listed for a few minutes and it is amazing.

I'm having a problem that when I import my music from a Mac the Artist information is missing on the Z1. The music files I purchased from HDtracks show the artists and artwork but all of my CD's I have ripped are showing as a long list of songs as "Unknown" for the artist. The songs are there and they will play but obviously having thousands of songs not attached to the Artist isn't going to work.

When the Z1 is attached to the Mac and I look in the Z1 music folder on the Mac they appear properly under the Artist. I have attached two photos showing what I'm seeing on the Z1 music folder on the Mac and then how those same songs appear on the Z1.

Can anyone help with this or point me in the right direction to find a solution?

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpeg
    IMG_0959.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0958.jpeg
    IMG_0958.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #2,248 of 4,326
Hi All, I just received my Z1 and have only listed for a few minutes and it is amazing.

I'm having a problem that when I import my music from a Mac the Artist information is missing on the Z1. The music files I purchased from HDtracks show the artists and artwork but all of my CD's I have ripped are showing as a long list of songs as "Unknown" for the artist. The songs are there and they will play but obviously having thousands of songs not attached to the Artist isn't going to work.

When the Z1 is attached to the Mac and I look in the Z1 music folder on the Mac they appear properly under the Artist. I have attached two photos showing what I'm seeing on the Z1 music folder on the Mac and then how those same songs appear on the Z1.

Can anyone help with this or point me in the right direction to find a solution?

Thanks,

I've always used MP3tag on windows to tag everything. Looks like there's a mac version coming out this week:
https://mp3tag.app/

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #2,249 of 4,326

Thanks,
Is related to PCM files (aka WAV), wav was not keant to hace metadata (tags).

you have two options, either fonvert the filee to lissless compression suvh as flac or alac or use Aiff if you want to atill retain raw pcm plus tag info

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #2,250 of 4,326
I've always used MP3tag on windows to tag everything. Looks like there's a mac version coming out this week:
https://mp3tag.app/

Thanks, I will check this out.

My CD's were ripped with a Naim Unity Core to a QNAP. That was setup to work with a Naim system I had and I wonder if the ripping parameters were set in some way that worked well with Naim but doesn't with the DMP-Z1. I could always see all the artist and cover art using the Naim app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back