Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #2,221 of 4,470
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #2,222 of 4,470
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #2,223 of 4,470
Sounded more like realizing he actually mentioned that he played a 24 bit file, and then you passed it as a joke LOL

The next non-Android Walkman player should be awesome!

I want next dap to be flagship and android how is that 😄🤠😃

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #2,224 of 4,470

Why are you asking me how is that, lol? Your wishes are your business.

Myself I said "the next non-Android Walkman", and not that the next Walkman will be non-Android, so I don't really get your question.

They won't just abandon the non-Android ones and never release another.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #2,225 of 4,470
Wonder when that will be as new ones in full production still?

25CCA91A-2C2C-4820-BCE6-39D2A5DF179A.jpeg

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,226 of 4,470
Why are you asking me how is that, lol? Your wishes are your business.

Myself I said "the next non-Android Walkman", and not that the next Walkman will be non-Android, so I don't really get your question.

They won't just abandon the non-Android ones and never release another.

I just want sony to release a flagship android dap!
Zx507 didnt make it to that level....

I am fine if they release 2 daps 1 android and 1 like 1z...
But gosh I want streaming please and totl dap not zx507....
Zx507 is a zx300 upgrade

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #2,227 of 4,470
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if those of you that either own or have had considerable listening time with the Sony DMP-Z1 could please tell me how the DMP-Z1 compares in terms of sound quality to a good electrostatic headphone system?

It’s difficult to be able to experience any demos here in the UK as we’re in lockdown at the moment, not to mention that there would be no where at present to be able to demo the Sony DMP-Z1 as it isn’t in stock anywhere in the UK right now and hasn’t been in stock for months.

I’d be grateful for your opinions please.

Thanks.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,228 of 4,470
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if those of you that either own or have had considerable listening time with the Sony DMP-Z1 could please tell me how the DMP-Z1 compares in terms of sound quality to a good electrostatic headphone system?

It’s difficult to be able to experience any demos here in the UK as we’re in lockdown at the moment, not to mention that there would be no where at present to be able to demo the Sony DMP-Z1 as it isn’t in stock anywhere in the UK right now and hasn’t been in stock for months.

I’d be grateful for your opinions please.

Thanks.
The only e-Star system I know that has DAC built in is Orpheous and MkII. Otherwise, the DMP is just a Digital player, you can use it as line out if you would have wanted and into other E-Stats systems that normally has only a phones and amp

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #2,229 of 4,470
The only e-Star system I know that has DAC built in is Orpheous and MkII. Otherwise, the DMP is just a Digital player, you can use it as line out if you would have wanted and into other E-Stats systems that normally has only a phones and amp

Thanks for replying.

I was also just looking at the Sonoma M1 by Warwick Acoustics and the Stax SRM D-50 unit.

Has anyone heard either of these and the Sony DMP-Z1?

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #2,230 of 4,470
I did a very comprehensive comparison of the DMP-Z1 vs the WM1Z with the TA and the answer is no. Far from it. You’re much better off listening to the TA in your space and the convenience of the pocket 1Z can be taken anywhere. It’s barely a difference if any at all. I tested the DMP-Z1 for at least 10 hours and it’s not worth it. Save yourself the money and go for the 1Z and TA. You’ll have lots of money left over for high res music. The DMP-Z1 is awesome, but $8k awesome? Nah. Else find a used one for $5k or less and yes, I can recommend it. Keep in mind the maintenance costs if the batteries ever need to get replaced and all the other expensive components inside the DMP-Z1. Gotta think long term for both. Whatever you decide, best wishes. Being here in Japan, the shops in Tokyo offer so many chances to sample players, I consider myself lucky.
I listened WM1Z > 4,000 hours (even hundreds of hours from those latest customized fw) and DMP-Z1 > 2,000 hours. I still prefer to enjoy DMP-Z1 at home and it worth every penny spent.

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2,231 of 4,470
For travel I have the Woo Audio WA8 and also the WM1Z, headphones are Focal Utopia and Stella plus Sony IER-Z1R.

Has anyone compared the WA8 to the Z1 and what are your impressions? Since I have the WM1Z is the sound quality improvement of the Z1 enough of an upgrade? We travel in a motorhome so the size/weight difference between the WA8 and the Z1 is not an issue.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #2,232 of 4,470
Feb 5, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #2,234 of 4,470
My desire to own the DMP-Z1 has diminished thanks to the genius, that is @MrWalkman !

Project Z firmware to my ZX300.....audio life changing !

In ALL the years i've listened to music, THIS is what i've been searching for. Listening, absolutely transformed now. EVERYTHING IN THE MUSIC, IS ELEVATED. I can't hear a hint of harshness, not even in the highest of highs & the lows are so deep, tight & controlled. Not booming or bloated. Mids are crystal clear, SO LIVE sounding & i can actually hear the words that are being sung. ( Even with my 57 year old ears ! ) I'm hearing details in music that i've listened to for nearly 50 years & so on......

I've FINALLY got the sound i want & dreamed of hearing & if this is what the DMP-Z1 / WM1Z sound like, then i've financially saved money & now can get that sound of my less expensive ZX300. It's now going to get so much usage now, when i tended to listen to other hi-res equipment, more.

Has any DMP-Z1 owner updated the firmware on their Walkman's & compared ? Just curious...?

I'm in audio heaven right now....SO HAPPY !!! :) :) :)

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #2,235 of 4,470
My desire to own the DMP-Z1 has diminished thanks to the genius, that is @MrWalkman !

Project Z firmware to my ZX300.....audio life changing !

In ALL the years i've listened to music, THIS is what i've been searching for. Listening, absolutely transformed now. EVERYTHING IN THE MUSIC, IS ELEVATED. I can't hear a hint of harshness, not even in the highest of highs & the lows are so deep, tight & controlled. Not booming or bloated. Mids are crystal clear, SO LIVE sounding & i can actually hear the words that are being sung. ( Even with my 57 year old ears ! ) I'm hearing details in music that i've listened to for nearly 50 years & so on......

I've FINALLY got the sound i want & dreamed of hearing & if this is what the DMP-Z1 / WM1Z sound like, then i've financially saved money & now can get that sound of my less expensive ZX300. It's now going to get so much usage now, when i tended to listen to other hi-res equipment, more.

Has any DMP-Z1 owner updated the firmware on their Walkman's & compared ? Just curious...?

I'm in audio heaven right now....SO HAPPY !!! :) :) :)

Nice! @MrWalkman ‘s firmware is indeed fantastic :) I haven’t tried Project Z yet. I am using DMP-WM1 FE+ and it sounds very good. Looking forward to trying Project Z soon

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back