Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jan 16, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #2,192 of 4,470
Dear DMP-Z1 owners, is this like heaven & earth compared to the WM1A or TA-ZH1ES?

Does the 4/5x price difference justifies? Is it really that much better?
Well, first thing you would hear from DMP vs anything like Walkman would be the Dynamic, then the inner resolutions and then the textures and then the warmth. They have different signature as TA and Walkman are using S-Master and DMP is using AKM.

Is it worth 4x ? Well, it depends on the way you perceive it values then. You should give it a listen, comparison, and tell it for yourself. I have friends who love modified 1Z for portable and loving Z1 for desktop and around the house.

I would say that though, the Z1 is primarily for price is not an objective matters to the buyer, but rather it is the performances and the features

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #2,195 of 4,470
Dear DMP-Z1 owners, is this like heaven & earth compared to the WM1A or TA-ZH1ES?

Does the 4/5x price difference justifies? Is it really that much better?
I did a very comprehensive comparison of the DMP-Z1 vs the WM1Z with the TA and the answer is no. Far from it. You’re much better off listening to the TA in your space and the convenience of the pocket 1Z can be taken anywhere. It’s barely a difference if any at all. I tested the DMP-Z1 for at least 10 hours and it’s not worth it. Save yourself the money and go for the 1Z and TA. You’ll have lots of money left over for high res music. The DMP-Z1 is awesome, but $8k awesome? Nah. Else find a used one for $5k or less and yes, I can recommend it. Keep in mind the maintenance costs if the batteries ever need to get replaced and all the other expensive components inside the DMP-Z1. Gotta think long term for both. Whatever you decide, best wishes. Being here in Japan, the shops in Tokyo offer so many chances to sample players, I consider myself lucky.

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,196 of 4,470
Yes, it’s being produced and it’s available for sale in Sony boutiques.
Here in the UK as has been stated, Amazon haven’t had any stock since some time in September I believe. The Sony boutiques, called Sony Centres here in the UK haven’t had any in stock for a similar amount of time.

Other European Amazon stores such as Amazon.de, Amazon.at, Amazon.fr, Amazon.es & Amazon.it all currently have none in stock with exception of one being sold as used from Amazon Warehouse.

It would definitely appear that at least for the UK and the rest of the European market, there seem to be possible supply chain issues for Sony at the moment.

I’m not sure if the reason for this is COVID related, but at present it seems very difficult to acquire a new Sony DMP-Z1 in this part of the world.

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #2,197 of 4,470
I did a very comprehensive comparison of the DMP-Z1 vs the WM1Z with the TA and the answer is no. Far from it. You’re much better off listening to the TA in your space and the convenience of the pocket 1Z can be taken anywhere. It’s barely a difference if any at all. I tested the DMP-Z1 for at least 10 hours and it’s not worth it. Save yourself the money and go for the 1Z and TA. You’ll have lots of money left over for high res music. The DMP-Z1 is awesome, but $8k awesome? Nah. Else find a used one for $5k or less and yes, I can recommend it. Keep in mind the maintenance costs if the batteries ever need to get replaced and all the other expensive components inside the DMP-Z1. Gotta think long term for both. Whatever you decide, best wishes. Being here in Japan, the shops in Tokyo offer so many chances to sample players, I consider myself lucky.

your opinion, of course.
I own the 1Z , 1A ,and owned the TA. I purchased the DMP and to me there is a noticeable difference which is worth the investment.

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #2,198 of 4,470
your opinion, of course.
I own the 1Z , 1A ,and owned the TA. I purchased the DMP and to me there is a noticeable difference which is worth the investment.
Right back at ya. Cheers

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #2,199 of 4,470
It’s barely a difference if any at all.

Sorry but I completely disagree with this particular statement. I own the DMP, TA & WM1Z and they most certainly sound different to each other, to my ears at least. The DMP uses AKM DAC’s compared to S-Master in TA & WM1Z. As @Whitigir said, they have different sound signatures. Perhaps this is harder to perceive with in-store demos, as they generally aren’t ideal listening environments.

Whether that “sound improvement” is worth 4-5 times the cost of a TA, well that is up to the individual and it’s very hard to give a definitive answer because it all depends on each persons budget/other gear/use case but for me personally, I have zero regrets of my purchase and get immense audio pleasure from my DMP-Z1. In fact, I’m listening to it at this very moment and it’s incredible!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #2,200 of 4,470
Sorry but I completely disagree with this particular statement. I own the DMP, TA & WM1Z and they most certainly sound different to each other, to my ears at least. The DMP uses AKM DAC’s compared to S-Master in TA & WM1Z. As @Whitigir said, they have different sound signatures. Perhaps this is harder to perceive with in-store demos, as they generally aren’t ideal listening environments.

Whether that “sound improvement” is worth 4-5 times the cost of a TA, well that is up to the individual and it’s very hard to give a definitive answer because it all depends on each persons budget/other gear/use case but for me personally, I have zero regrets of my purchase and get immense audio pleasure from my DMP-Z1. In fact, I’m listening to it at this very moment and it’s incredible!

Which one pairs better with the MDR Z1R in your opinion?

Jan 17, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #2,201 of 4,470
Which one pairs better with the MDR Z1R in your opinion?
Definitely the DMP. I prefer the slightly cooler and more energetic tone from DMP compared to the warmer, overly smooth sound from TA. The staging and instrument layering on DMP is also a step up from TA to my ears. It could be due to the blacker background? Not sure. Either way, the Z1R just sounds incredibly expansive, dynamic and balanced from the DMP imho :)

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #2,202 of 4,470
Sorry but I completely disagree with this particular statement. I own the DMP, TA & WM1Z and they most certainly sound different to each other, to my ears at least. The DMP uses AKM DAC’s compared to S-Master in TA & WM1Z

Not sure if i will ever own a DMP-Z1 now ?? - but i'm wondering if a FiiO M15 player may be a cheaper option ?? It uses AKM DAC's ( AK4499EQ ) It seems that most reviews are positive, from what i've read ?

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #2,203 of 4,470

Good question, I have no idea how the FiiO M15 sounds unfortunately. Hopefully someone here can chime in. The only FiiO product I’ve tried is the Q5s and that was pretty impressive for its price, especially with the THX amp :)

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #2,204 of 4,470
Definitely the DMP. I prefer the slightly cooler and more energetic tone from DMP compared to the warmer, overly smooth sound from TA. The staging and instrument layering on DMP is also a step up from TA to my ears. It could be due to the blacker background? Not sure. Either way, the Z1R just sounds incredibly expansive, dynamic and balanced from the DMP imho :)

Thanks man, i wish i had three kidneys. So, the Z1R sounds veiled on the TA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back