Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Feb 1, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #2,206 of 4,470
B9EF9AB6-BC7C-4F7F-9F89-4C0F61FC8AAC.jpeg
DE0B861A-5C08-4A84-8D99-41B09B956237.jpeg
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zen-by-dunu.24863/reviews#item-review-25225

Well, the day finally came where the DAPs could not drive an IEM the best in a certain situation.

My review goes into it and it’s only in an extreme situation but it is true and caused me a bunch of confusion while doing this latest review.

Basically if you have a song with a certain personality, especially demanding of power................there will be an artifact much like a loss of amp damping ability (with full-size) with the Walkmans and the new ZEN IEM. Lucky later I found the TA desktop solved the issue and it was not the actual IEMs causing the slight distortion. Interestingly enough the China forums have been calling the Walkmans underpowered for the IER-Z1R for years. I always thought they were just at the edge of this damping issue, but still fine.

The 13.5mm driver and expanded voice coil along with 1. 8 Tesla (measured at the voice coil) are measurements indicative of the most powerful magnets ever put into an IEM. The magnets are so big they will cause a movement magnetic reaction even when the IEMs are two inches away from each other.

If it was an electrical motor, the motor would be drawing more power than what was sent to make it spin.

The underpowered (damping issue) distortion sounds like if you were to try and drive a hard to drive headphone on a weak amp. It simply sounds like break-up with bass character. Lucky the ZEN is unique in my collection.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #2,207 of 4,470
The impedance is only 16 Ohm. Wow, that's crazy.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #2,208 of 4,470
B9EF9AB6-BC7C-4F7F-9F89-4C0F61FC8AAC.jpegDE0B861A-5C08-4A84-8D99-41B09B956237.jpeghttps://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zen-by-dunu.24863/reviews#item-review-25225

Well, the day finally came where the DAPs could not drive an IEM the best in a certain situation.

My review goes into it and it’s only in an extreme situation but it is true and caused me a bunch of confusion while doing this latest review.

Basically if you have a song with a certain personality, especially demanding of power................there will be an artifact much like a loss of amp damping ability (with full-size) with the Walkmans and the new ZEN IEM. Lucky later I found the TA desktop solved the issue and it was not the actual IEMs causing the slight distortion. Interestingly enough the China forums have been calling the Walkmans underpowered for the IER-Z1R for years. I always thought they were just at the edge of this damping issue, but still fine.

The 13.5mm driver and expanded voice coil along with 1. 8 Tesla (measured at the voice coil) are measurements indicative of the most powerful magnets ever put into an IEM. The magnets are so big they will cause a movement magnetic reaction even when the IEMs are two inches away from each other.

If it was an electrical motor, the motor would be drawing more power than what was sent to make it spin.

The underpowered (damping issue) distortion sounds like if you were to try and drive a hard to drive headphone on a weak amp. It simply sounds like break-up with bass character. Lucky the ZEN is unique in my collection.

Cheers!

Well how is that possible, the specs are perfectly suited for 1z to bring out full power of the amp as both are set to 16 ohm output and the dunu is pretty sensitive at 112!

What did you find wrong? What distortion did you got?

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #2,209 of 4,470
Well how is that possible, the specs are perfectly suited for 1z to bring out full power of the amp as both are set to 16 ohm output and the dunu is pretty sensitive at 112!

Tiger, the ability to drive dynamic stuff to “Loudness” is very different than “finesses” to delivery :D. Once you realize it, it will never go away LOL

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #2,210 of 4,470
Tiger, the ability to drive dynamic stuff to “Loudness” is very different than “finesses” to delivery :D. Once you realize it, it will never go away LOL

Well lol we need quality not loudness 😄

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #2,211 of 4,470

Don’t know if I made it clear in the post. It really has nothing to do with real life use. Meaning nothing here to diminish the value of the 1Z or ZEN IEM. It was only a very small section of one single song out of millions of songs. But just the fact that it took place was amusing.

The song is....

Also you may be able to hear other DAPs struggle with the replay. There is just a very strong bass presentation, like some kind of synthetic treatment to the bass. I was using the 24bit file. And mind you, you would probably need the ZEN IEM to discover it, and a DAP preferably a Walkman. And it’s only in a couple but drum hits at the end. You will start guessing it’s in the recording or in the IEMs but it’s not it is damping failure in the amp if you recreate it. Taking the song to the TA desktop cured the issue.

Cheers. Probably will never happen again?

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #2,212 of 4,470
I’m super keyed into damping issues as in 2006 I purchased the low power Woo 3 tube amp and the AKG k701 (hard to drive) headphones.

Needless to say the bass sounded like a belt sander.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #2,213 of 4,470
Don’t know if I made it clear in the post. It really has nothing to do with real life use. Meaning nothing here to diminish the value of the 1Z or ZEN IEM. It was only a very small section of one single song out of millions of songs. But just the fact that it took place was amusing.

The song is....

Also you may be able to hear other DAPs struggle with the replay. There is just a very strong bass presentation, like some kind of synthetic treatment to the bass. I was using the 24bit file. And mind you, you would probably need the ZEN IEM to discover it, and a DAP preferably a Walkman. And it’s only in a couple but drum hits at the end. You will start guessing it’s in the recording or in the IEMs but it’s not it is damping failure in the amp if you recreate it. Taking the song to the TA desktop cured the issue.

Love Nightwish, don’t tell me you listened to YouTube through LDAC LOL! When the dynamic range get too far....the S-Master will show it limitations, and that is why Sony was looking into GAN-FET technology for SA-Z1 system :wink:. At least you have good ears ! And judgements, now the wait for whenever the successor to come out....or.....whether it will LOL

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,214 of 4,470
Love Nightwish, don’t tell me you listened to YouTube through LDAC LOL! When the dynamic range get too far....the S-Master will show it limitations, and that is why Sony was looking into GAN-FET technology for SA-Z1 system :wink:. At least you have good ears ! And judgements, now the wait for whenever the successor to come out....or.....whether it will LOL

You did not read my post......24bit noted.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #2,215 of 4,470

But yes. Thank-you. It’s hard to believe, and hard to document and passing like the wind. Wait? That didn’t sound right?

Like passing gas. It sounded like passing gas.

:)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #2,217 of 4,470

The song is....

I didn't detect anything abnormal on spotify and usb dac to M8

Is this the song?

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #2,219 of 4,470
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,220 of 4,470
Love Nightwish, don’t tell me you listened to YouTube through LDAC LOL!
Was a joke my friend, since everyone just link their track from YouTube LOL

Sounded more like realizing he actually mentioned that he played a 24 bit file, and then you passed it as a joke LOL

The next non-Android Walkman player should be awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back