Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 30, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #391 of 3,702
I'm hoping the stock tube will serve its purpose (I'm not really looking to get in a cash free-fall with tubes, but curious to hear what the fuss is about). This will be my first headphone amp. My main set up is very analog and warm sounding. Hoping this will do the trick for my senn598s. I actually prefer speakers over headphones, but at some point in the day you have to be considerate to the family, lol.

I have the 598SE and to my ears it sounds very good with my Modi and Magni 2U on my iMac (iTunes 16/44.1). However I'm wondering how (better, different or same) it would sound with a Vali2. I worry if I can only live with the stock tube as I don't want to spend more on a couple of tubes than the Vali2 itself but many have reported that the stock tube is very good with the Vali2.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #394 of 3,702
Hi newbie here, 1st time poster. How does tube rolling work when your only swapping the one? From what I read each tube has dual triodes-- are some tubes dual vs single? Was originally debating between the Asgard 2 and the vali 1, until the vali 2 popped up. Mine doesn't even arrive until thurs and I'm already chomping at the bit. From what I can gather the stock tube is supposed to be fairly decent??

Can't say anything on stock tube vs otherwise but as far as rolling goes.....it gets dangerous :p

You are correct that the noval (9-pin) tube that works in the vali2 is a twin triode (not a dual, those can be different triodes in the same tube). So now where the "difference" comes in is which tube is placed in the socket (I'm using quotes on that because some designs have more of an impact to rolling than others). Its basically like how when you walk into a furniture store and they've got an entire FLOOR or recliners. Now some of these don't fit your bum, so those get tossed out (design considerations). The ones that do fit your bum, some let you sink in more than others. Some are a bit more upright. Some are rigid, some are rockers. The big plush one that you get absorbed into might be MY favorite but not yours. Same thing with tube rolling. All of them serve the same purpose and function the same (parking your bum) but personal preferences will dictate if you want one vs the other. This analogy applies for twin triodes (loveseats) or recliners (power tubes like pentodes, tetrodes, etc).

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #395 of 3,702
  That's odd.  I didn't like the X2 with Vali 2 and I liked the 400i with it.

Oh man, you're making me want to get one too now.  Is that 400i in the background?  Is that what you were running with that amp?

Yes,HE400i's.Finally getting the sound I was looking for when I started upgrading.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #396 of 3,702
I can confirm that the Vali 2 pairs well with the AKG K612 Pro in high gain mode.

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #397 of 3,702
I have the 598SE and to my ears it sounds very good with my Modi and Magni 2U on my iMac (iTunes 16/44.1). However I'm wondering how (better, different or same) it would sound with a Vali2. I worry if I can only live with the stock tube as I don't want to spend more on a couple of tubes than the Vali2 itself but many have reported that the stock tube is very good with the Vali2.

Screw the wondering...I just ordered a Vali 2.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #398 of 3,702
Last I checked...mine went from Cali to Michg. Problem is I live in MT. That's the post office for you. I hope it gets here by Sat so I have a few hrs to play around with it.

I have a q for you guys. Does anyone still listen to cds on here? I'm too lazy to rip them. Was wondering if a blu Ray thru a Schiit modi will do just as good as a dedicated CD player.
Any feedback on that would be great.

The wait is killing me.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #399 of 3,702
Thanks @tommo21 for the Mullard suggestion - this tube is most generous with its syrupy sweetness.
I could literally listen to the original tube on HD800 for a while, a then pop this in and feel like I've switched to a new headphone or amplifier 
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #401 of 3,702
  Any opinions on this with IEMs? Shure SE535 in particular.

I was using it with Roxannes. Not the best control, but a heck of a fun listen!

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #402 of 3,702
And now back to the cheap 6CG7 tube, but this time with HD800 (was originally using K7XX when I was underwhelmed). This is...uhhh...good 
biggrin.gif

That is, there is certainly something sonically happening, quite noticeable through the HD800, and nothing I would object to. I guess I'm just too new to tubes to be really seeking any particular sound. But I'm currently listening to some Dave Matthews Band (often my goto) and liking how the vocals are nicely enunciated, but the music is still there pleasant/present softly in the background. I could certainly listen to this and say - good enough! No need to roll another!

In short, I found myself not liking the original tube (preferring straight m9XX > HD800 versus m9XX > Vali 2 > HD800). But with this tube, I'm liking the sound through the Vali 2.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #403 of 3,702
Gotta agree, 6CG7 might just be it for me. The stock tubes although very nice was a bit too intimate, despite the relatively improved soundstage and lower end over the first Vali. However, the 6CG7, I can listen to this for long sessions with joy!

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #404 of 3,702
I saw they have this 6cg7 tube at tube depot with options to match the triodes ($2) high gain ($2 )and low noise microphonics ( $4).

What are your guys thought on these 2 upgrades? I assume the balancing triodes is a must for equal stereo distribution, but what about the other 2 upgrades--do you think they are worth it.

Definitely thinking about picking up a pair. (Keeping one as a spare)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back