Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 31, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #406 of 3,690
I went for matched triodes and low noise/microphonic. First option ensures better channel matching. Mine should be delivered today along with a few other treats. I got an EH clone. If I like it as much as I think, I'll then spring for an NOS RCA.

Low noise and microphonics is generally a good option for your voltage gain stage. If it's noisy, the rest of the circuit can be fine but you'll get noise. Not required but always a good option if available.

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #407 of 3,690
Thanks. I will probably go for all 3 options and buy a pair. That should put them at $21 a piece (does that sound right?), which is more than enough. Do these tubes rate at the standard 5000 hr/life, or are they a lot less?

I'm just of the belief of your parts shouldn't be more than half of the total cost. I don't want to spend $100 on tubes for an amp costing $169--doesn't make sense to me, but TEHO. I was going to go with the Valhalla or lyr, but got steered to this by the Schiit reps. I'm sure I will be happy either way. I love my modi 2 dac, imo it really cleans up the 300kbs spotify.

For those loving the 6cg7 tubes sing your praises....would love to be convinced that I Dont have to get caught Up in the "rolling" aspect of the hobby, but just enjoying the vintage tubey sound. I appreciate all of the feedback on these tubes.

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #409 of 3,690
Does anyone else have volume imbalance between the left and right channel at low volumes?  I notice it with both over ear headphones and IEMs.  It's definitely noticeable up to a low-moderate volume level.  

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #411 of 3,690
Pairing with the TH-X00:

Its an interesting pairing to be sure. These cans with the original Vali were too warm I would say. As it has been said before, the Vali 2 is a bit more neutral, making it a better pairing with the Th-X00. 

Holy bass. Loud, deep, clear. This extends up through the mids - giving artists such as Ed Sheeran the clarity they deserve, while also delivering a kick on the lower end. (Runaway is a great song for this). At the top end things start to get a bit lost. The X00 isn't as critical as my T90's, which with this amp provides a slightly warm analytical sound. However getting into treble and bass range the X00 surpasses the T90. 

Flipping between hi and lo gain, the high gain fills out the X00 immediately, and gives you that kick down low. I prefer keeping it at low for the X00 - Cranking it up still gives that full bass and sound very quickly, while reducing a bit of a fuzz/muddied sound you get with high gain on these 25 ohm cans.

Written for @MrPanda

Anyone feel free to ask questions or call out my vocabulary. I'm new.

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #412 of 3,690
  Does anyone else have volume imbalance between the left and right channel at low volumes?  I notice it with both over ear headphones and IEMs.  It's definitely noticeable up to a low-moderate volume level.  

Nope.  Mine is perfect.  I can't say the same for my Sys, which doesn't want to balance until just short of 9 on the clock.  Maybe Schiit still has an issue here and I got lucky.  Sorry to hear you didn't.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #414 of 3,690
Vali 2 ordered and shipped. Now to wait til Tuesday. It's interesting how Fedex calculates "two day shipping."

I feel the pain, my fellow Floridian! Mine was supposed to be delivered today but only made it as far as the Orlando hub. So now it's supposed to be delivered on Saturday instead... In an ideal world, we would get a partial credit back on the shipping charges when delays like this happen!

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #415 of 3,690
I feel the pain, my fellow Floridian! Mine was supposed to be delivered today but only made it as far as the Orlando hub. So now it's supposed to be delivered on Saturday instead... In an ideal world, we would get a partial credit back on the shipping charges when delays like this happen!

Yeah, it sucks being on the opposite coast from Schiit Audio. And if you use Amazon Prime at all, it spoils you...

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #416 of 3,690
Hello Head-Fi community,

It's my first post here, so to everyone participating in this valuable and informative community a big thank you first! I am just getting my toes wet in this wonderful world of quality audio gear. Although having dreamt a long time of a nice loudspeaker and reciever setup, I am starting first with a decent setup for my recently aquired Beyerdynamic T90 headphones. I am living in Switzerland, which is a relatively small country but we have the luxury of access to a wide range of very very good products reaching the summit-fi of audio gear. But and that is a BIG but, no access to any of the Schiit products, because they do direct selling (what I admire), so nobody here has these products available (yet).
I usually listen to gear first before i buy, but this was not possible in that case. But anyway the Vali 2 got ordered together with the Modi 2 Uber, because who can resist a real tube-amp and worldclass DAC for that price? So as you Homeyjojo have this exact setup with Vali 2 and T90 I was wondering how well they pair together. Warm and analytical you said, which is very good regarding the bright analytical nature of the Beyer. I am no basshead so I don't mind the amp not overly improving the bass of the Beyers. But what exactly is happening with the treble range? Does the Vali 2 recess the highs? Some people think the T90's sibilance is too much, so if the Amp would actually bring this down a notch, that wouldn't be too bad either. I guess you are running the amp in high gain with the T90. Could you tell a bit more about your impressions with the Beyers, please?

A happy new year to everybody!

Quote:
  Pairing with the TH-X00:

Its an interesting pairing to be sure. These cans with the original Vali were too warm I would say. As it has been said before, the Vali 2 is a bit more neutral, making it a better pairing with the Th-X00. 

Holy bass. Loud, deep, clear. This extends up through the mids - giving artists such as Ed Sheeran the clarity they deserve, while also delivering a kick on the lower end. (Runaway is a great song for this). At the top end things start to get a bit lost. The X00 isn't as critical as my T90's, which with this amp provides a slightly warm analytical sound. However getting into treble and bass range the X00 surpasses the T90. 

Flipping between hi and lo gain, the high gain fills out the X00 immediately, and gives you that kick down low. I prefer keeping it at low for the X00 - Cranking it up still gives that full bass and sound very quickly, while reducing a bit of a fuzz/muddied sound you get with high gain on these 25 ohm cans.

Written for @MrPanda

Anyone feel free to ask questions or call out my vocabulary. I'm new.

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #417 of 3,690
Sitting in a similar situation. Mine was supposed to be here today. Looks like it will only make it to the post, so not out for delivery until Sat. Ughh. Oh well. Lesson on patience. It will be what it will be.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #418 of 3,690
@Designer79

I've been using high gain with it yes. I might consider using it on low actually. The amp has more than enough power on low, and I've noticed a couple thing on high. There's a slight fuzz/static on high, a character of tube amps, but i don't hear it on low gain. Also on high gain the snares and drum beats are a bit too sharp.

The amp definitely adds some character to the T90, rounding it off nicely. You'll have to play around for yourself however, I have experience with only my limited gear, so I can't really point you in any directions. I would't worry - The paring is good - keeping the crisp sound of the T90 and adding some warmth.

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #419 of 3,690
Hi all, loving my Schiit setup, Bifrost and Vali 2 with HE-400s and HD-650's. Have a JJ gold pin tube coming soon to roll and see how the sound changes, however the stock tube sounds great. Running on the low gain with 3/4 volume and powers more then enough. Hopefully soon can post a picture or two.

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #420 of 3,690
Hi all, loving my Schiit setup, Bifrost and Vali 2 with HE-400s and HD-650's. Have a JJ gold pin tube coming soon to roll and see how the sound changes, however the stock tube sounds great. Running on the low gain with 3/4 volume and powers more then enough. Hopefully soon can post a picture or two.

How is it treating your 650 with the stock tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back