Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 21, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #256 of 3,702

I have an Asgard 2 and an considering getting the valid 2 as a complimentary amp. Does anyone have both and can give an opinion on the sound difference? If adding the valid would be a sideways move, I'll just save toward another set of hp's.

Current cans,,,th-xoo...x2...he400s...m50.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #257 of 3,702

How can I tell what the Garage1217 amps power in mW is?  Their website has it all listed as vrms, which I'm not familiar with.

I got a User Manual with mine that had them listed depending on the Restiance, you have set 

I assure you I pulled those numbers right from the user Manual, you guys can also shoot Jeremy an Email right from their web site, he's very nice an he'd be happy to either answer direct questions about power or share the Manuals with u

For teh Garage 1217 amps, it seems their Project Ember has the best Power Output, though it's around $300 

Though for Under $200, I'm going to say the Vali 2 does a better job with hard to drive cans, like my HE 4

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #258 of 3,702
  the Vali 2 should be able to take a 12AX7 Mullard

The guys in the know here say 12AX7 is a 12v Tube & will NOT work in the Vali which uses 6v tubes.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #259 of 3,702
  I got a User Manual with mine that had them listed depending on the Restiance, you have set 

I assure you I pulled those numbers right from the user Manual, you guys can also shoot Jeremy an Email right from their web site, he's very nice an he'd be happy to either answer direct questions about power or share the Manuals with u

For teh Garage 1217 amps, it seems their Project Ember has the best Power Output, though it's around $300 

Though for Under $200, I'm going to say the Vali 2 does a better job with hard to drive cans, like my HE 4

Thanks for all your help, I'll shoot Jeremy an email if I can't find their manuals online.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #260 of 3,702
  The guys in the know here say 12AX7 is a 12v Tube & will NOT work in the Vali which uses 6v tubes.

Oh... well shame on me 

schiit that's good to know 

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #261 of 3,702

Thanks for all your help, I'll shoot Jeremy an email if I can't find their manuals online.

I'd just go for the Ember II.  Delivers way more power at 300ohms at up to 725mw.  Plus it has auto bias so you don't have to tinker with that like the Starlight.  Just plop tubes in.  Also Ember II can't roll opamp so you don't have to worry about that either, unless you want to.  If you don't want to spend that much or rather want more things to tinker with then I'd go for Ember II.  Was thinking I should have gone for an Ember II instead because I have the Project Polaris and now the Vali 2.  Maybe I should have combined them both into Ember II lol.  But then I kinda rather just have a simple clean looking setup in the Schiit stack and be done.  Then just roll couple tubes.  This stuff is getting out of hand!  Then at times I just want an all in one amp, dac and speaker amp all in one.  Ahhhh.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #262 of 3,702
  I'd just go for the Ember II.  Delivers way more power at 300ohms at up to 725mw.  Plus it has auto bias so you don't have to tinker with that like the Starlight.  Just plop tubes in.  Also Ember II can't roll opamp so you don't have to worry about that either, unless you want to.  If you don't want to spend that much or rather want more things to tinker with then I'd go for Ember II.  Was thinking I should have gone for an Ember II instead because I have the Project Polaris and now the Vali 2.  Maybe I should have combined them both into Ember II lol.  But then I kinda rather just have a simple clean looking setup in the Schiit stack and be done.  Then just roll couple tubes.  This stuff is getting out of hand!  Then at times I just want an all in one amp, dac and speaker amp all in one.  Ahhhh.

Lol, I feel your pain.  The thing is I've never owned a tube amp, so spending $350 on an unknown entity is hard to swallow.  Whereas the $170 of the Vali 2 is perfect, but it doesn't have the options that Garage1217 amps have in terms of tube rolling.  Between the Starlight and the Vali 2, it seems that for hard to drive headphones, the Vali 2 is the clear winner.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #263 of 3,702
  Honestly, I kinda like the sound of the TH X00 with the Vali 2, though I have Alpha Pads which give the TH X00 a drier sound than staock pads 

I have to agree with your assessment.Read my comments farther back.This is NOT a syrupy,rolled off amp.I would be willing to bet Pinks this amp would sound KILLER with Senn 650's or other "lush"sounding cans!

I dunno who says tubes can't work with warmer, lusher headphones. My old Lyr + LCD-2 (pre-fazor) was absolutely godlike. I"m wondering if an EL-8 + Vali 2 will be kind of a mini version of that.

Yeah, I can only (re)post what I heard:

1. Between m9xx and m9xx > Vali 2, I preferred just the m9xx with my stock Fostex TH-X00. I feel no need to add anything to these headphones - just love em'.
  2. However, I loved the Vali 2 on my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. I also loved it on my AKG K7XX and Grado SR60i.
  3. The Vali 2 is not syrupy, and for me this is an issue on my Audeze EL-8C headphones. I like something a little syrupy or just extremely powerful to help the bass compensate for the forward nature of these headphones, which I do not like. Due to my personal pickiness, I've only been running my EL-8C on Chord Mojo, Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon, and Schiit Ragnarok.

I will be following this thread though, and hoping to find a super sloppy, syrupy tube, to give the EL-8C a retry.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #264 of 3,702
  Yeah, I can only (re)post what I heard:

1. Between m9xx and m9xx > Vali 2, I preferred just the m9xx with my stock Fostex TH-X00. I feel no need to add anything to these headphones - just love em'.
  2. However, I loved the Vali 2 on my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. I also loved it on my AKG K7XX and Grado SR60i.
  3. The Vali 2 is not syrupy, and for me this is an issue on my Audeze EL-8C headphones. I like something a little syrupy or just extremely powerful to help the bass compensate for the forward nature of these headphones, which I do not like. Due to my personal pickiness, I've only been running my EL-8C on Chord Mojo, Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon, and Schiit Ragnarok.

I will be following this thread though, and hoping to find a super sloppy, syrupy tube, to give the EL-8C a retry.

Go for a Mullard or Brimar:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC88-MULLARD-UK-6DJ8-NEW-OLD-STOCK-VALVE-TUBE-O15-/391282609633?hash=item5b1a42cde1:g:ZxUAAOSwdvpWD75K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC88-CV5358-BRIMAR-NOS-BOXED-VALVE-TUBE-/310087990709?hash=item4832af3db5:g:pcoAAOSwDNdV5rdt

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #265 of 3,702
I have had the Vali 2 for a few days now and some have asked for a Valhalla 2 and Vali 2 comparison. I have been using it in my 2 channel setup in place of the Valhalla 2 as a pre amp. It is an incredible little amp. Being that I am running different tubes on the Valhalla It is hard to compare the little details so I will try to keep to the broader strokes if you will. Keep In Mind no HP's here, 2 Channel Speakers is my weapon of choice

The Vali 2 Is the little amp that could. Once the tubes have had about 20 hours on them start to take on the form of its big brother the Valhalla 2. Make no mistake I am not saying it is a Valhalla replacement. The Valhalla Is Happily reconnected to the Bimby. I only had time to do a Few tube rolls. The Vali 2 Is really good and it is apparent the same mad scientists that brought us the Valhalla put the Vali 2 together. I Will try to keep this brief.

Did I have to double check to see which amp was plugged in? No. I have been running he Valhalla in its current config for a while and I am very familiar with the way it sounds. With that being said The Vali 2 is no slouch so do not take this as it is inferior. The Vali 2 is less than half the price of the Valhalla2 but it is no way half the amp. The Vali 2 Has a slightly smaller sound stage and to me the phantom image was a bit more forward than in the Valhalla 2 .Is the Phantom image being forward bad? not to me but in reality could probably changed by speaker adjustments. Welcome to 2 channel. I found that the Bass Impact was there just not that of the Valhalla 2. One more difference is that the placement of instruments was slightly less discernable than with the Valhalla.

"The all-new Vali 2 is a great way to get started with tube sound, without needing a second mortgage! " That is in the Description of the Vali 2 on the schiit website and it is spot on. It sounds remarkably close to the Valhalla which is an accomplishment in itself. If you were hoping this is a cheap Valhalla, I would say it is. But size and design differences as well as cost means, as expected it is no replacement. There I said it. A Valhalla Replacement it is not. Schiit did not set that Expectation and I concur. that does not mean I hate it. Just like the Modi 2 U being a like a Mini Bifrost, this is like a Mini Valhalla. I am super excited , I am on vacation today and want go work and set it up in its' final home replacing the Vali 1 and even get work done just to listen to it more. This is Money well spent. Sure we can argue that other entry level amps have more options and may sound better. But when you start stepping up into the $300 mark for an amp its not a fair comparison to the Vali 2 that is sub $ 200.

Edit.

The setup.
Foobar 2k--> Win 7 laptop--> Wyrd--> Bifrost Multibit--> Vali2/Valhalla2 --> Emotiva Fusion Flex Amplifier --> Elac B6 and a PSB 8" Subwoofer. (Sub level not adjusted through out the comparison)

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #266 of 3,702

I have an Asgard 2 and an considering getting the valid 2 as a complimentary amp. Does anyone have both and can give an opinion on the sound difference? If adding the valid would be a sideways move, I'll just save toward another set of hp's.

Current cans,,,th-xoo...x2...he400s...m50.

You could always use the Vali 2 as a preamp into your Asgard.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #267 of 3,702

Lol, I feel your pain.  The thing is I've never owned a tube amp, so spending $350 on an unknown entity is hard to swallow.  Whereas the $170 of the Vali 2 is perfect, but it doesn't have the options that Garage1217 amps have in terms of tube rolling.  Between the Starlight and the Vali 2, it seems that for hard to drive headphones, the Vali 2 is the clear winner.

Yea as great as the Ember II is, it's not in the same price class as the Vali 2 or the Starlight, an imo it would make a great upgrade to either the Starlight or the Vali 2, as it out powers both an offers the same level of tube exploration as the Starlight with the Auto Features of the Vali 2 [an a tad more power]

Yea Mullards for sure, I owned a SET TWO of them thank you xD with my Millet Hybrid Tube, they were SUPER warm an LUSH 

I think that would get you the sound your wanting, I enjoyed the Mullards with my DT 990 for a time 

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #268 of 3,702
  I have had the Vali 2 for a few days now and some have asked for a Valhalla 2 and Vali 2 comparison. I have been using it in my 2 channel setup in place of the Valhalla 2 as a pre amp. It is an incredible little amp. Being that I am running different tubes on the Valhalla It is hard to compare the little details so I will try to keep to the broader strokes if you will. Keep In Mind no HP's here, 2 Channel Speakers is my weapon of choice

Channel. I found that the Bass Impact was there just not that of the Valhalla 2. One more difference is that the placement of instruments was slightly less discernable than with the Valhalla.
. This is Money well spent. Sure we can argue that other entry level amps have more options and may sound better. But when you start stepping up into the $300 mark for an amp its not a fair comparison to the Vali 2 that is sub $ 200.

Oh nice, it's good to hear a speaker review for this tube! 

An I agree, the Vali 2 is a great way to get into tubes, though once you start rolling you might need some extra cash lol 

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #269 of 3,702

Yeah, but once after you get the Vali 2 you're like, hmmmm maybe I should have gotten the other amp instead, lol.  But yeah, Vali 2 has good power to drive a lot of headphones at a nice price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back