*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jan 19, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #2,237 of 2,577
I don't see why they won't work with the MBP2016, just be aware that the new model doesn't have optical out.

I am sure it will "work". I wanted to know how well the Magni/Modi 2 (Uber) would work with my MacBook Pro and Swan speakers. I plan on using USB into the DAC for now. I will be getting a dock that has a S/PDIF digital audio output port and may switch to that later. Does the Modi 2 Uber work better with USB or S/PDIF? I am getting the Modi 2 Uber mostly for speaker volume control for now. I was going to get the SYS instead but I expect to be getting a good set of headphones sooner than later.

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #2,238 of 2,577

I am sure it will "work". I wanted to know how well the Magni/Modi 2 (Uber) would work with my MacBook Pro and Swan speakers. I plan on using USB into the DAC for now. I will be getting a dock that has a S/PDIF digital audio output port and may switch to that later. Does the Modi 2 Uber work better with USB or S/PDIF? I am getting the Modi 2 Uber mostly for speaker volume control for now. I was going to get the SYS instead but I expect to be getting a good set of headphones sooner than later.

Thanks!

To be more specific, I used my Modi2U with my 15" MBP2016 earlier this week and it sounded great, but I wasn't listening critically, just enjoying the music. They're normally not together, because my MBP is almost always left at work and my Modi2U is at home, so I don't know when I'll have another opportunity to test this.

As far as Optical vs.USB, Schiit generally says that optical is better on their DACs.

Edit: I use my Modi2U with a regular Magni2, not a Magni2U.

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #2,241 of 2,577
I just got my new Magni 2 and Modi 2 today, Modi 2 doesn't seem to be having problems but my Magni 2 right out of the box seems to have a defective volume pot.

Specifically, unless I nudge the pot in a particularly specific way, it will only control the volume in the left channel, with the right channel being on full blast even if the pot's all the way down to zero. In other words, a hell of a channel imbalance that persists even past the lowest volume ranges.

So as a result in order to enjoy balanced channels with my Magni 2 I have to turn the volume on it all the way to max and keep my PC's system volume really low (about 10-14%), and I can't imagine this being good for the amp or my Sennheiser HD 6XX's, if not at least suboptimal in some way (these are my first DAC and amp, all I know is that source volume should be kept around the 50-70% mark).

Already shot a support form to Schiit, hoping I can get this unit repaired or replaced. 

I of course googled this and I can't find anything on this issue, hence why I'm posting it here.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #2,242 of 2,577
 Specifically, unless I nudge the pot in a particularly specific way, it will only control the volume in the left channel, with the right channel being on full blast even if the pot's all the way down to zero. In other words, a hell of a channel imbalance that persists even past the lowest volume ranges.

I was doing some DIY stuff with some generic pots and this kept happening to me on some pots.  Definitely defective stuff.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #2,243 of 2,577
I have been using my Gilmore Lite as my main amp for several years. I'm pretty much satisfied with it. I think it's a great amp. But I have to admit that I'm interested in the Magni . Mainly because of all of the positive feedback regarding the Magni on head-fi.Other than more power , is the Magni a step up from the Gilmore Lite?

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,245 of 2,577
I've heard the argument that the Asgard 2 MIGHT sound better than the Magni 2 Uber, and I've also heard that there is little to no difference between them. Upon comparing the statistics between the two, the Magni 2 Uber actually looks like it would give more power to low impedance cans like the he-400i for example. So I was wondering if their is an opinion that the Magni 2 Uber is superior to the Asgard 2 for hifiman low impedance orthos?

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #2,246 of 2,577
  I've heard the argument that the Asgard 2 MIGHT sound better than the Magni 2 Uber, and I've also heard that there is little to no difference between them. Upon comparing the statistics between the two, the Magni 2 Uber actually looks like it would give more power to low impedance cans like the he-400i for example. So I was wondering if their is an opinion that the Magni 2 Uber is superior to the Asgard 2 for hifiman low impedance orthos?

If you consider the dB difference in power, it is unlikely that you will notice any difference. We do not perceive volume in a linear fashion.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #2,247 of 2,577
Mimby/Magni 2 stack just came in! I am only a few hours in but I am quite happy thus far.

My main setup is Mimby + Crack + HD650. The Magni is here so I don't have to waste tube hours on TV/Movies/Gaming. 

I must say the stack is quite incredible. Not as smooth as the Crack, and a bit brighter, but quite enjoyable. It sounds really good.

As for the Mimby I am extremely impressed.I'm a musician and specifically drums sound more realistic to me with the Mimby. Depending on the recording, not necessarily more like an acoustic set, but more like recorded drums should sound, or what it sounds like playing live drums when using in ears. 

In addition I hear a little bit more sound stage, better separation, and I believe more accuracy. Complicated guitar riffs and piano runs sound more precise, with each note more distinct. I feel like I'm hearing... more.

This is the first R2R DAC I've ever heard, and I must say the reproduction is incredible. I've only had limited chances to hear truly 'high end' gear, but even on a few hours with the Mimby, I know I don't need to upgrade. My quest is over. What Schiit has accomplished with their entry level stack is amazing. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #2,248 of 2,577
Magni 2 + Fulla 2 should be arriving within the hour....

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #2,250 of 2,577

Users who are viewing this thread

Back