*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jan 8, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #2,222 of 2,577
Are there any problems with turning the Magni 2U on and off while headphones are plugged in?

I have the headphones plugged in all the time, also when turning on/off. No problems so far (I've had it for over a year).

The muting relay (the click you hear from the unit about 10 seconds from turning on) is there to make sure it is safe to keep things plugged in.

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #2,223 of 2,577
I have the headphones plugged in all the time, also when turning on/off. No problems so far (I've had it for over a year).

The muting relay (the click you hear from the unit about 10 seconds from turning on) is there to make sure it is safe to keep things plugged in.

Ah, I actually thought that pop/click was something going wrong! Glad you cleared that up, thanks. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,224 of 2,577
I just wanted to say that I got a pair of HD800 and schiit stack. So far I am very pleased, going from ie 80 and from PC 350 Special Edition is another world.

However i have to ask if people have any advice on how to set up Modi 2 on linux to have better experience. Windows makes this quite easy. Thanks.

You can set gmusicbrowswer to play bit perfect audio easily. In case you are streaming from say tidal, use Google chrome to be able to listen to hifi. Needless to say, if you use Google chrome it will be mixed by pulse audio most likely, instead of ALSA.
http://mangel312.blogspot.com/2014/05/bit-perfect-audio-in-ubuntu.html

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #2,225 of 2,577
You can set gmusicbrowswer to play bit perfect audio easily. In case you are streaming from say tidal, use Google chrome to be able to listen to hifi. Needless to say, if you use Google chrome it will be mixed by pulse audio most likely, instead of ALSA.
http://mangel312.blogspot.com/2014/05/bit-perfect-audio-in-ubuntu.html

Also, check this article to improve sound in pulseaudio: https://pacesettergraam.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/improve-sound-quality-by-pulseaudio-configuration/

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #2,226 of 2,577
New to the forum want to say hello to everyone.

Ok I have akg 712 pro and schiit vali 2 and running my android phone into the amp. The low gain won't hardly drive them at full volume. I have to use hi gain at 3 o'clock to drive. I don't like the sound of this amp. I'm interested in the schiit stack and want to know if anybody is using akg 712 with it ?

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #2,227 of 2,577
Does anyone know how well pairing a Magni with a Fiio E10K (line-out) works? I'd rather skip the Modi in favor of my Fiio if I can help it, to save some money. But I got no idea how much I'll be "missing".

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #2,228 of 2,577
Does anyone know how well pairing a Magni with a Fiio E10K (line-out) works? I'd rather skip the Modi in favor of my Fiio if I can help it, to save some money. But I got no idea how much I'll be "missing".

Can't comment on the Modi, but E10K line out to Magni 2 sounds just fine to me.  There is a loss of soundstage and spaciousness vs just using the E10K by itself, but the Magni 2 does add some fullness and warmth.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #2,229 of 2,577

Can't comment on the Modi, but E10K line out to Magni 2 sounds just fine to me.  There is a loss of soundstage and spaciousness vs just using the E10K by itself, but the Magni 2 does add some fullness and warmth.

How much soundstage loss are we talking about? Is it absolute ground zero (nothing beyond the earcups) or can you still sufficiently tell instruments apart? I'd like to have as much warmth and soundstage as possible (directly contradictory, I know), but if I had to choose I would probably choose soundstage.

In turn, how much warmth/fullness does the Magni offer by comparison?

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2,230 of 2,577

How much soundstage loss are we talking about? Is it absolute ground zero (nothing beyond the earcups) or can you still sufficiently tell instruments apart? I'd like to have as much warmth and soundstage as possible (directly contradictory, I know), but if I had to choose I would probably choose soundstage.

In turn, how much warmth/fullness does the Magni offer by comparison?

To my ears, it's a noticeable loss of soundstage and spaciousness.  Separation, not so much.  Separation is still pretty good.  I think the extra power of the Magni 2 amplifies all those subtle little background sounds to a point that they kind of blend in with the foreground more, which makes the overall sound more 2-dimensional.  There's still some soundstage and spaciousness present, but it's not nearly as good as the E10K by itself.

The Magni 2 sounds "proper" to me in terms of warmth or fullness of the sound.  Not too warm.  Just properly full and correct.  Even female vocals have a fuller more natural sound to them.  The E10K by comparison, sounds a bit thin overall.  Again, it's hard to quantify in words.  You just have to hear it for yourself and make your own judgments.

The extra amplification of the Magni 2 really helps with Classical music.  The added dynamic range helps a lot.  Soft sounds that can sound a bit distant or lost on the E10K, are clearly present, and when louder sounds hit, it sounds quite nice.  Much better experience than E10K.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #2,231 of 2,577
Is anyone here running the Modi 2 (Uber) with the Magni 2 (Non uber)?

I am thinking about buying this setup, and only shelling out the extra 50$ for the Modi 2 because of the optical feature.

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #2,232 of 2,577
  Is anyone here running the Modi 2 (Uber) with the Magni 2 (Non uber)?

I am thinking about buying this setup, and only shelling out the extra 50$ for the Modi 2 because of the optical feature.

I am, in my bedside rig.
I originally bought Modi2 and Magni2 both non-uber, but then I needed optical, so I bought the Modi2U and sold the Modi2.
Any specific questions?

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #2,233 of 2,577
Originally Posted by LazyListener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E10K by comparison, sounds a bit thin overall.  Again, it's hard to quantify in words.  You just have to hear it for yourself and make your own judgments.

That's my main criticism with the E10K. Sounds pretty artificial and flat. It's like my headphones are not wanting to go to their full potential, and they are not hard to drive at all (X2).

This clears up the question whether the Magni is worth it or not, which I take as a yes (soundstage I gotta judge for myself, but if it doesn't completely drop it, I'm fine). Now only the question remains, just how much better the Modi is in comparison to the E10K's DAC.

Quote:
  I am, in my bedside rig.
I originally bought Modi2 and Magni2 both non-uber, but then I needed optical, so I bought the Modi2U and sold the Modi2.
Any specific questions?

I'm not the one who asked that question, but I'm still curious. Do you recall any audio differences between the two DACs or is the difference literally just an optical in at 50 bucks more?

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #2,234 of 2,577
I'm not the one who asked that question, but I'm still curious. Do you recall any audio differences between the two DACs or is the difference literally just an optical in at 50 bucks more?

There is definitely a noticeable difference, but the Modi2 was a 4396 model and the Modi2U is a 4490 model, so it could very well be because of that.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #2,235 of 2,577
Hello everyone. First post for a new member so be kind!

I am planning on buying the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber in the next few days. How do you think they will work with the late 2016 MacBook Pro and Swan HiVi M200MkIII speakers?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back