*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Apr 17, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #1,712 of 2,577
anyone here knows if the magni 2 can push the fostex t50rp mk3 to a very loud volume levels on the high gain mode? I've read that the t50rp's are very hard to drive and i like it loud

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,713 of 2,577
Just a qjick question in here, now that we are talking about whether to get the Uber or non-Uber versions. Can the regular Magni connect to the Uber Modi, or do I need both units to be of the same variant? I mean, because of the different inputs.

For my DAC, I'm thinking about purchasing the Modi 2 Uber since I want to use it with different sources and not only from my PC, but for an amp, the standard Magni 2 should suffice as I will only use it for headphones. Therefore, I can save some money by pairing the Uber Modi with the non-Uber Magni. Is that possible, or will I need both purchases to be of the Uber variant?

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,717 of 2,577
  planning to get the modi dac, can someone compare its sound to the audioquest dragonfly and the inbuilt dac inside the woo audio wa7?

use the search this thread and global function, you will get some results.  Oh, here let me do that for you:

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=dragonfly&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=748067&advanced=1

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=wa7+modi

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #1,718 of 2,577
I was wondering, does the volume control of the magni 2u controls the volume of a subwoofer? I was thinking how am i going to set the volume of my speakers and sub with the magni. Speakers on half, sub also on half volume (works best for my room) pc volume at max, and then control everything from the amp? Speakers and sub are active.

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #1,719 of 2,577
thanks!
  use the search this thread and global function, you will get some results.  Oh, here let me do that for you:

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=dragonfly&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=748067&advanced=1

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=wa7+modi

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,720 of 2,577
Alright this stack looks like the best price/performance amp/dac combo. 
I have the Fostex TH-X00, HE-400(rev 4) and DT 770 600 ohm. Based of the anecdotal evidence I've
read, I became knowledgeable of the fact that those cans pair wonderfully with Shiit stack.

HOWEVER, who axually has the HD800 paired up to the magni 2 uber/ modi 2 uber (or the original ones for that matter)? 

I plan on eventually shelling out all my fortune for the Senn's , so dear chap can you help me out by answering the above questionaire?

Shiit for real.

Apr 19, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #1,721 of 2,577
I have a Modi 2 Uber and a Marantz SR3001 AVR...do you guys think the output on the Modi 2 Uber could be used to drive the Analog In (VCR, DSS, CD, TV) on the Marantz's receiver? Basically bypassing the Marantz DAC and using the Modi 2 Uber?

Do Blue Ray drives and CD players output the same level as a Modi 2 Uber?

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #1,722 of 2,577
My Schiit Modi 2 Uber went to Schiit yesterday.  Not literally, it just stopped working.  I bought it in December and about a week later it stopped working.  I was in the process of doing a return or exchange--I was still within the 15 day trial period--and something happened on the inside and it started working again.  It has worked since then, but I never really "trusted" it.  I wish I would have just requested a new unit as mine was clearly defective.

Has anyone else had any reliability issues with their Schiit?  I find it rather disheartening that they offer a 5 year warranty on some of their products, but mine hasn't made it 5 months.  Sent them an email yesterday to get a return or exchange authorization and haven't heard back from them.  I do recall that when I originally had issues, the customer service wasn't really up to par IMO.  They treated me like I was some sort of invalid by asking questions like whether or not I had the right channel selected, etc.  I know how the Schiit works and they were really hesitant to even entertaining the idea of returning it--during my trial period.  I called today to see if they could get my exchange going and got the usual irrelevant jokey babble like they have on their website.  I get that they're "fun and hip" and all, but after listening to the phone recording for 5 minutes just to tell me to email them at the end was annoying. 

I broke the Schiit out of my leg in February and my electronic hobbies are the only things keeping me sane.  It's been terribly frustrating and painful troubleshooting my Modi 2 Uber since I already know it's broken.  But I know they'll want me to go through all that Schiit before sending me a replacement.  So I just ordered a Fiio D3 to use until all this gets squared away, because I have a feeling it'll take a few weeks for me to get my replacement unit, I hope someone on here can tell me otherwise.  I hope I just got a lemon and can expect the next one to be much more reliable.  Input regarding this would be greatly appreciated.  Either way, Schiit just rubs me the wrong way with their whole marketing approach, customer service, experienced unreliability, and sub-par build quality.  Hopefully someone here can sway me the other direction cause when I get my replacement I'll probably just sell it and buy an Audioengine D2 since the wireless aspect is greatly needed.  Or perhaps the $30 Fiio D3 will perform well enough that I won't feel the need to upgrade my DAC any time soon.  I dunno.  All I know is that healthcare costs in America are effing ridiculous and my broken Schiit has just pushed me over the edge of misery. 

I am sure yal are mostly Schiit fans on here, so I'm sorry to bag on it here.  But I just want reliable products with good customer service and I'm not feeling that with Schiit.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.  Convince me to keep my chin up and stick with the Schiit.  Thanks,

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #1,723 of 2,577
  I have a Modi 2 Uber and a Marantz SR3001 AVR...do you guys think the output on the Modi 2 Uber could be used to drive the Analog In (VCR, DSS, CD, TV) on the Marantz's receiver? Basically bypassing the Marantz DAC and using the Modi 2 Uber?

Do Blue Ray drives and CD players output the same level as a Modi 2 Uber?

yes it should work just fine.  Most inputs like 2 volts but anything from 1.2 on up seem to work just fine.

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #1,724 of 2,577

Sorry for your experiences but I don't think Fiio's are that more reliable, as I've seen a lot of Fiio amps broken. But it's really rare that a DAC can go to schiit... Perhaps it's because the Modi 2 Uber is externally powered, I'm not sure. I've been using my ODAC for many years and no problem so far, and I also expect my Modi 2 to last... well, forever.
Anyway if the experience with Schiit is too bad I think you may try JDS ODAC  or Audioengine D1. They are both cheap won't let you down. The D2 is on another level and I've also heard rave reviews.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #1,725 of 2,577
  My Schiit Modi 2 Uber went to Schiit yesterday.  Not literally, it just stopped working.  I bought it in December and about a week later it stopped working.  I was in the process of doing a return or exchange--I was still within the 15 day trial period--and something happened on the inside and it started working again.  It has worked since then, but I never really "trusted" it.  I wish I would have just requested a new unit as mine was clearly defective.

Has anyone else had any reliability issues with their Schiit?  I find it rather disheartening that they offer a 5 year warranty on some of their products, but mine hasn't made it 5 months.  Sent them an email yesterday to get a return or exchange authorization and haven't heard back from them.  I do recall that when I originally had issues, the customer service wasn't really up to par IMO.  They treated me like I was some sort of invalid by asking questions like whether or not I had the right channel selected, etc.  I know how the Schiit works and they were really hesitant to even entertaining the idea of returning it--during my trial period.  I called today to see if they could get my exchange going and got the usual irrelevant jokey babble like they have on their website.  I get that they're "fun and hip" and all, but after listening to the phone recording for 5 minutes just to tell me to email them at the end was annoying. 

I broke the Schiit out of my leg in February and my electronic hobbies are the only things keeping me sane.  It's been terribly frustrating and painful troubleshooting my Modi 2 Uber since I already know it's broken.  But I know they'll want me to go through all that Schiit before sending me a replacement.  So I just ordered a Fiio D3 to use until all this gets squared away, because I have a feeling it'll take a few weeks for me to get my replacement unit, I hope someone on here can tell me otherwise.  I hope I just got a lemon and can expect the next one to be much more reliable.  Input regarding this would be greatly appreciated.  Either way, Schiit just rubs me the wrong way with their whole marketing approach, customer service, experienced unreliability, and sub-par build quality.  Hopefully someone here can sway me the other direction cause when I get my replacement I'll probably just sell it and buy an Audioengine D2 since the wireless aspect is greatly needed.  Or perhaps the $30 Fiio D3 will perform well enough that I won't feel the need to upgrade my DAC any time soon.  I dunno.  All I know is that healthcare costs in America are effing ridiculous and my broken Schiit has just pushed me over the edge of misery. 

I am sure yal are mostly Schiit fans on here, so I'm sorry to bag on it here.  But I just want reliable products with good customer service and I'm not feeling that with Schiit.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.  Convince me to keep my chin up and stick with the Schiit.  Thanks,

Schiit has excellent customer service, and they really communicate with you if you have a defective product. But I've also got a friend who bought a magni/modi stack and the amp just stopped working after a week too. I don't know why but I've also been seeing and reading quite a few rants from buyers having defective products. Probably a QC issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back