*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Apr 10, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #1,696 of 2,577
I get short dropouts with the ASIO driver (I uninstalled wasapi first, also uninstalled the Modi2uber driver, installed fresh and then ASIO).
Played a little bit with the buffers etc but that doesn't seem to help.
As soon as I went back to wasapi no more dropouts.
Couldn't tell if the sound was any different as the dropouts distracted too much.

Apr 11, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #1,697 of 2,577
Hi, noob question, can someone clarify?

If I buy the Magni and Modi combo, can I simultaneously connect headphones and speakers into them? If so, how do you switch between the two, is it a hardware switch or on the software level?

Also, does anyone have any recommended speakers to go with these for computer desktop use?

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #1,698 of 2,577
Hi, noob question, can someone clarify?

If I buy the Magni and Modi combo, can I simultaneously connect headphones and speakers into them? If so, how do you switch between the two, is it a hardware switch or on the software level?

Also, does anyone have any recommended speakers to go with these for computer desktop use?

You can connect powered speakers to the magni. For other speakers you'd need a power amp in the chain.
You can connect headphones and speakers simultaneously, but as long as headphones are connected, you won't get any sound from the speakers. So, the heardware switch would be to unplug your headphoes 
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #1,699 of 2,577
Hello. I just started to reading this thread to find out the difference between Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber before ordering and having trouble to find. Can anyone help me to understand the difference between the two?

The difference that I could only found is the power supply.

Magni 2 ) Wall wart” style 8VA 16VAC transformer, regulated +/- 15V rails
with over 4,000uF filter capacitance
Power Consumption: 4W

Magni 2 Uber) Wall wart” style 24VA 14VAC transformer, regulated +/- 16V rails, with over 6,000uf filter capacitance
Power Consumption: 5W

Not sure what it means. Is only difference is that Magnificent 2 Uber has more power than Magni 2?

Thank you. :)

Apr 11, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #1,700 of 2,577
It looks just like a website. But you won't believe what happened when I checked "specs" and "faq". 
popcorn.gif

http://schiit.com/products/magni-2
http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #1,701 of 2,577
Apr 11, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #1,702 of 2,577
Thank you very much.
smily_headphones1.gif
FAQ really helped me to understand. The key difference is if it has preamp output or not. May I know when preamp output is necessary? I am newbie and not sure what the difference between preamp and amp.
frown.gif

The preamp output allows you to hookup a set of powered speakers and use the magni 2 uber to adjust the volume of them when there are no headphones plugged in.  When you plug headphones in it mutes the preamp outputs.

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #1,703 of 2,577
Thank you very much. :) FAQ really helped me to understand. The key difference is if it has preamp output or not. May I know when preamp output is necessary? I am newbie and not sure what the difference between preamp and amp. :frowning2:

The preamp output allows you to hookup a set of powered speakers and use the magni 2 uber to adjust the volume of them when there are no headphones plugged in.  When you plug headphones in it mutes the preamp outputs.

Thank you very much. I got the idea now. Since I will use it to drive high impedance headphone without speaker, Uber version might be unnecessary unless there is other good reason to go with uber version against normal version. :)

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #1,704 of 2,577
  I setup my Modi/Magni Uber 2 combo this week.  What is the recommended setting under Playback options in Windows 10 in terms of bit-rate and Hz?

Primary application is Computer Games, and iTunes use.

Also, I see an option on the Schiit website for ASIO drivers.  Are those preferable for these applications?

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Currently using 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality) and no ASIO drivers for the above applications.  Do these settings seem correct for the above applications?

I see a ton more options under Playback > Properties > Advanced tab > Default Format

Any thoughts on the above?

It seems that the Default format setting for bitrate and Hz might be more for recording, but a bit unclear about it.  Also not sure about the ASIO drivers.

Thanks again.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,706 of 2,577
Definitely yes. As a former poor student I also came from the Fiio camp before upgrading to Schitt, JDS and other brands. Then I realized I wasted too much money on Fiio and iBasso. Should have bought the good stuffs from the start
I'm currently using laptop usb > Fiio K1 > Magni 2. Would I notice much difference with the Modi 2 DAC replacing the Fiio K1?

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,707 of 2,577

Hello. I just started to reading this thread to find out the difference between Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber before ordering and having trouble to find. Can anyone help me to understand the difference between the two?

Magni 2 Uber) Wall wart” style 24VA 14VAC transformer, regulated +/- 16V rails, with over 6,000uf filter capacitance

Not sure what it means. Is only difference is that Magnificent 2 Uber has more power than Magni 2?

Thank you. 

Yes Magni 2 uber is more powerful than Magni 2. I have both. 

The difference between these  2 amps that i can hear is the Magni2 uber has more treble and is more lively than the non-uber version. 

The non-uber version is wamer and more relaxed though.

Here is my impression: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748067/official-schiit-magni-modi-2-uber-thread/1575#post_12363776

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,708 of 2,577

Thank you. 

Yes Magni 2 uber is more powerful than Magni 2. I have both. 

The difference between these  2 amps that i can hear is the Magni2 uber has more treble and is more lively than the non-uber version. 

The non-uber version is wamer and more relaxed though.

Here is my impression: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748067/official-schiit-magni-modi-2-uber-thread/1575#post_12363776

Thank you so much for your feedback. It was very helpful. :)

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #1,710 of 2,577
You're welcome. To clarify,I'm talking about the magni 2 über. I don't think you can add speakers to the magni 1 but I'm not sure here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back