*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Apr 7, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,681 of 2,577
Modi 2 owners I have a very pleasant surprise for you:

Download, install and use the following ASIO driver for Foobar:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/foobar2000-wasap2-output/

Now it sounds like you have upgraded your DAC!
More detailed sound, more natural, better instrument separation and very wide soundstage!

WOW!

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #1,682 of 2,577
  Modi 2 owners I have a very pleasant surprise for you:

Download, install and use the following ASIO driver for Foobar:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/foobar2000-wasap2-output/

Now it sounds like you have upgraded your DAC!
More detailed sound, more natural, better instrument separation and very wide soundstage!

WOW!

Wow, thanks for the heads up.  I never liked ASIO but a new WASAPI, may have to give it a try tonight on my Havana.

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,683 of 2,577
Does not work with Bryston Bridge.  Lots of distortion and slow motion music playback.  Am I missing a setting?  I had to uninstall wasapi from Foobar to get this new one to come up as an output option.

Oh well.  

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #1,684 of 2,577
Apr 8, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #1,686 of 2,577
I think that unless you're messing with DSD/SACD-iso files, you shouldn't mess with that driver.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,688 of 2,577
I setup my Modi/Magni Uber 2 combo this week.  What is the recommended setting under Playback options in Windows 10 in terms of bit-rate and Hz?

Primary application is Computer Games, and iTunes use.

Also, I see an option on the Schiit website for ASIO drivers.  Are those preferable for these applications?

Thanks for your help.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #1,689 of 2,577
Holy schiit, since upgrading from a Fiio E6 to the Magni 2 I haven't gone back for 2 months, and when I did today I couldn't believe it. I literally can't hear the bass and kick drum on Kanye's music since it's pretty deep I guess. Difference is really substantial even with HD25-1.

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,691 of 2,577
I hope its not placebo, but i can actually hear a difference with the ASIO.
but its pretty bugy.
i cant switch between my speakers and headphones with a shortcut like i did before.
every time i want to switch i need to restart Foobar.
also, while i listen to music with my headphones in Foobar any other audio wont work, why is that? i need to exit Foobar completely to be able to play those playbacks (like youtube or games)
moreover, some tracks in my playlist are making Foobar to crash.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,692 of 2,577
  How do I use this one with my Modi 2?

First install the Schiit USB Gen2 drivers for Modi 2 from schiit.com/drivers
Then install the ASIO2-WASAPI2 components for Foobar (see the link in previous post).
Run Foobar, goto Preferences->Output->Device and choose the option "ASIO2 : ASIO for USB device". Finally click "Apply" and "OK".
You are ready to listen ...

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #1,693 of 2,577
I hope its not placebo, but i can actually hear a difference with the ASIO.

I'm curious: could you describe these differences?

also, while i listen to music with my headphones in Foobar any other audio wont work, why is that?

because the asio driver makes exclusive use of your audio device. This is not a bug, this is a feature.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,694 of 2,577
  I setup my Modi/Magni Uber 2 combo this week.  What is the recommended setting under Playback options in Windows 10 in terms of bit-rate and Hz?

Primary application is Computer Games, and iTunes use.

Also, I see an option on the Schiit website for ASIO drivers.  Are those preferable for these applications?

Thanks for your help.

Currently using 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality) and no ASIO drivers for the above applications.  Do these settings seem correct for the above applications?

I see a ton more options under Playback > Properties > Advanced tab > Default Format

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,695 of 2,577
I'm curious: could you describe these differences?

from a very short listen:
i think the sound is clearer, i notice more nuances of the sounds.
hard to describe :)

you should give it a try.

the reason i believe that there is an actual difference is because when i first installed this add-on, i didnt hear any change, then i realized that i never even set the ASIO as an output
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back