*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Feb 17, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #1,561 of 2,577
Call me crazy, but I noticed a significant increase in brightness today when I plugged my Modi 2U directly into the wall rather than plugging it in a generic extension cord. I remember yesterday I wasn't very impressed with the overall tone and was looking to upgrade to a sabre based DAC, only difference today was to plug it in the wall directly. Now it has gained some grainess or air that I wanted instead of sounding too natural. Maybe I was too tired yesterday or something happened, I don't know. Anyone else have any similar experience?

My setup sounds different to me everyday.

Atmospheric pressure, mood, blood pressure, etc will affect your hearing way more than barely measurable differences made by plugging your amp straight to the wall

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #1,562 of 2,577
  My setup sounds different to me everyday.

Atmospheric pressure, mood, blood pressure, etc will affect your hearing way more than barely measurable differences made by plugging your amp straight to the wall

It seems that I haven't been used to the sound yet which is why I heard differently for a few days, but sound is consistent now. Can't complain for the price.

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,564 of 2,577
  Is there any benefit in using the Magni 2 Uber with Powered Speakers over a simple Schiit Sys?  I have no use for the headphone portion but am wondering if the preamp aspect is any different.

I am wondering the same thing.Besides headphones i will be using the stack with my powered speakers and sub.Wondering if i can do that with the MM2U stack.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #1,568 of 2,577

Found a USB cable so going to see if the sound is any different. Was using toslink previously. Otherwise I'm going to sell this and find something else.

I'm enjoying mine with toslink!

I have tried mine with both USB and TOSLINK, but I can't say I heard any difference. It would depend on the quality of the specific computer's USB/TOSLINK components of course. I do mainly run on USB though (shielded cable with ferrite beads on both ends).

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,569 of 2,577
Not sure what it is but it is just to harsh for my  HE400. Did not notice this before with a first gen modi. I'm using the exact same audio sources. 

Would I see the same thing on a bifrost? 

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #1,571 of 2,577
I know that the HE400 are bright but they just seem brighter now with the switch to a Modi 2U. I am connecting the Modi 2U via usb to my win10 pc. I am using foobar for my flac files and spotify premium. Amp is the same, Lyr. 

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #1,572 of 2,577
I currently have an Audioengine D1 driving my HD 558 Senns.  My Magni 2 arrived this morning.  I couldn't afford the stack quite yet, so wanted to at least get the Magni amp, because the D1 is a bit of a lightweight in terms of power, especially when it comes to downmixed surround tracks for movies I play in JRiver.  For now the Magni 2 paired with the D1 is fine until I get the Modi 2 which should be soon.

I've been burning in the Magni for about 4 hours and have been very pleased.  It seemed a bit harsh out of the box, but after about hour 2, the sound got a bit warmer and more pleasing.  The amp totally outdoes the D1 for power... slightly bigger soundstage, but the biggest change is it sounds less "digital" and "closed in" than the D1.  I've heard the Modi 2 is a better DAC than the D1, so I can't wait.  I should add I used the sonar reference 3 plugin in JRiver, which opens up the Senns in a huge way for flat performance, and that makes a massive difference with the Magni.  At some point I'll upgrade to the HD 600s, but for now I feel I'm getting close to the best sound possible out of the 558s.

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #1,573 of 2,577
  I know that the HE400 are bright but they just seem brighter now with the switch to a Modi 2U. I am connecting the Modi 2U via usb to my win10 pc. I am using foobar for my flac files and spotify premium. Amp is the same, Lyr. 

Yup, the modi 2 uber is a dac that leans to the bright side.  The older bifrost was similar in that regard but better.  The new Bifrost 4490 and Bimby are much different than the older Bifrost sound and both do not lean to the bright side to the degree the modi2 uber does.

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #1,574 of 2,577
Yup, the modi 2 uber is a dac that leans to the bright side.  The older bifrost was similar in that regard but better.  The new Bifrost 4490 and Bimby are much different than the older Bifrost sound and both do not lean to the bright side to the degree the modi2 uber does.

Thanks a bunch for the details! Helps a lot.

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,575 of 2,577
I've recently ordered myself a H400i to replace my relatively old Beyer 990 pro's which I used for a long time with a lower end SMSL amp/dac. I looked into the possibilities and given my preferences and budget the M2 Schiit (either standard or Uber, haven't decided yet) stack and the O2ODAC are the best options.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to look at 100+ pages of information on the Schiit but my question is (I think) fairly simple for anyone who owns them - I'll be needing to buy RCAs on the side to bridge the two as well as a USB a to USB b cable I gather. I live in Europe so buying from a website (not the official Schiit one) based in the UK is the best option for me so I'd like to be sure on which cables I need to order. I'm a little confused as for which ones I need exactly, all three of these are available to be bundled in with the stack, so the ones I should be buying are the red RCA single ends and the USB A-B right? Their PYST cables look sturdier/fancier than cheaper alternatives so I'll probably not skimp out just to save 50 dollars but would there be a real difference between USB cables specifically, can I just keep the Amazonbasics A-B that I already own and order the PYST RCAs with the stack?

Appreciate any helpful replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back