*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Dec 13, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #1,366 of 2,577
  I almost blew my ear out when one channel just went 100% volume, regardless of pot on my magni 2u. Truly bought some Schiit

EDIT:
Kinda wish I was dreaming

You the first report of this? Schiit say anything about it?

Just got a Uber stack, so kind of interested. If my $1500 K812's or $1000 SE846's blew out because of that, I'd be pissed.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #1,367 of 2,577
This just happened, waiting to see what Schiit says

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,368 of 2,577
  This just happened, waiting to see what Schiit says

I'd check your email--I just looked at the tech support queue, and we have no email regarding a problematic Magni either today or yesterday. The amp is clearly broken, and we need to have a look at it.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 13, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #1,369 of 2,577
  Trying to install the ASIO drivers but it gives me an unsupported platform error? I'm on windows 10 (Looked at the folder and it doesn't have the windows 10 folder).

I'm not sure if you had the same problems as me, but you want to make sure that the driver you downloaded isn't encrypted.  Right click on the extracted folder, choose properties, and click advanced under the general tab.  See if the encrypt contents check box is checked, and make sure it's not checked.  Then try installing/updating the drivers.  

To the other post with the volume problem, first time I've heard of that 100% volume thing.  I have never experienced anything close to that on mine.  Open a ticket and fix it!  I'm easily impressed by how you knew to open the case and test that reading.  

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #1,370 of 2,577
  I'm not sure if you had the same problems as me, but you want to make sure that the driver you downloaded isn't encrypted.  Right click on the extracted folder, choose properties, and click advanced under the general tab.  See if the encrypt contents check box is checked, and make sure it's not checked.  Then try installing/updating the drivers.  

To the other post with the volume problem, first time I've heard of that 100% volume thing.  I have never experienced anything close to that on mine.  Open a ticket and fix it!  I'm easily impressed by how you knew to open the case and test that reading.  

Nope, not encrypted. I emailed Schiit about this and they said all their drivers are through C-Media so whenever they update it to windows 10... god knows when. I'm using WASAPI in the mean time anyways.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #1,371 of 2,577
I see.  I never tried it on Windows 10 as my work computer is Windows 7.  Windows 10 works great with my Auralic Vega and RWA Bellina HPA even though the Bellina driver isn't even signed LOL.  I'm surprised the Windows 7 one doesn't work.  Though for my network card the Windows 7 driver did funny things in Windows 10 like it wouldn't connect.  
  Nope, not encrypted. I emailed Schiit about this and they said all their drivers are through C-Media so whenever they update it to windows 10... god knows when. I'm using WASAPI in the mean time anyways.

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #1,372 of 2,577
Oh and if it's driver signing, you can try from page 17 to disable driver signing.  
https://minidsp.com/images/documents/USBStreamer%20Manual.pdf

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #1,373 of 2,577
I'd like some clarification about how the Modi 2 Uber is powered.

Is the Modi 2 Uber powered by the USB port when used as a USB DAC? Is it only powered by mains for the optical and coax?

On the site is states, "Power Supply: Modi 2 is USB powered, Modi 2 Uber has a linear power supply and wall-wart."

There is no mention of the Uber being USB powered, but Google searches seem to indicate that the Uber is USB powered when in USB mode.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,374 of 2,577
  I'd like some clarification about how the Modi 2 Uber is powered.

Is the Modi 2 Uber powered by the USB port when used as a USB DAC? Is it only powered by mains for the optical and coax?

On the site is states, "Power Supply: Modi 2 is USB powered, Modi 2 Uber has a linear power supply and wall-wart."

There is no mention of the Uber being USB powered, but Google searches seem to indicate that the Uber is USB powered when in USB mode.

Modi 2 Uber needs powered USB hub, if used with iPhone. So, it seems that it uses usb power from the source in usb mode.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,377 of 2,577
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/4455#post_11156943

A little More Information in this post about the Modi 2 U Power.

"...Modi 2 Uber is a very different product than a Modi 2. Because it has optical and coaxial inputs, it needs a power supply. It can’t rely on the USB input alone for power.

Which gives it a big leg up on Modi 2 right there—a linear, low-noise, multiply regulated power supply. With a wall-wart, yeah, but a linear supply will beat USB power anyday...."

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #1,378 of 2,577
I put up a thread about this, but does anyone know how the Modi 2 Uber compares to my current DAC? I'm currently running a circa 2011 MusicStreamer II+.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #1,379 of 2,577
I put up a thread about this, but does anyone know how the Modi 2 Uber compares to my current DAC? I'm currently running a circa 2011 MusicStreamer II+.

Yup, I had both at the same time.  Two different signatures.  Modi is brighter and more stark.  II+ is thicker and more laid back.

I sold the Modi and kept the HRT.  Still looking for my bedside dac replacement.  Using a friend's Havana to good effect with a nice Halide bridge in front.

If you can swing the cash, the Bimby has no competition at the price.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,380 of 2,577
  Yup, I had both at the same time.  Two different signatures.  Modi is brighter and more stark.  II+ is thicker and more laid back.

I sold the Modi and kept the HRT.  Still looking for my bedside dac replacement.  Using a friend's Havana to good effect with a nice Halide bridge in front.

If you can swing the cash, the Bimby has no competition at the price.

What's a Bimby? Bifrost Multibit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back