*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Dec 11, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #1,352 of 2,577
Trying to install the ASIO drivers but it gives me an unsupported platform error? I'm on windows 10 (Looked at the folder and it doesn't have the windows 10 folder).

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,353 of 2,577
  i was asking about SQ wise.

You are barely gonna hear a difference. People have tested time and again, and some swear they do. However, that's probably just psychological because the majority, including me, don't hear a difference. Spending $40 on PYST cables if you have disposable income is all good if you are happy with it, but saying it has better SQ than monoprice cables is ridiculous.

Go with monoprice if you want to save some money. I have both the monoprice and PYST on my schiit stack and hear absolutely no difference. The only difference is that the PYST cables look better and weigh more.

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #1,354 of 2,577

You are barely gonna hear a difference. People have tested time and again, and some swear they do. However, that's probably just psychological because the majority, including me, don't hear a difference. Spending $40 on PYST cables if you have disposable income is all good if you are happy with it, but saying it has better SQ than monoprice cables is ridiculous.

Go with monoprice if you want to save some money. I have both the monoprice and PYST on my schiit stack and hear absolutely no difference. The only difference is that the PYST cables look better and weigh more.

actually that was what i did, few months ago, as the PYST cables was a bit overpriced for me.
just was wondering about the SQ :)

also i met people that burning in their cables, which even if there is such thing, how noticeable the differences can be?

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #1,355 of 2,577

actually that was what i did, few months ago, as the PYST cables was a bit overpriced for me.
just was wondering about the SQ :)

also i met people that burning in their cables, which even if there is such thing, how noticeable the differences can be?

The topic of burning in headphones is already a highly debated one. Personally, I do notice differences when burning in headphones.  Not a night and day difference, but slight. I might attribute it to my brain psychologically getting used to the headphone's sound. Quite a number of people also believe burn in is more psychological than physical.

Burning in dac/amps are even more vague. Only the elite audiophiles really think about burning in audio equipment other than headphones/speakers. I would say 90% of people don't even consider burning in dac/amp. Personally, I can't tell the difference burning in my dac and amp (I've only used solid state amps so far). Maybe you'll notice a difference with tube amps, I can't say for sure as I don't have one while those who do clais there are differences while others don't notice any. Regardless, it will be very hard to tell the difference. Just like the difference between WAV and FLAC, or even FLAC vs 320kbps MP3, it will be hardly noticeable if any difference even exists.

To be honest, this is the first time I've heard of anyone even burning in cables. Just thinking about it is quite hilarious really. What's the next thing we're going to burn in, our headphone pads? Or the headband? Or maybe the circuit board of every equipment must be burned in? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 20 years audiophiles claim that we need to burn in our amp so that the sound waves transmitted make the case vibrate and that the screws will become lodged nicely through the vibrations to create the best sound effect.

The point is, the effects of burning in are highly debatable. The idea behind burning in headphones in short is for the parts of the sound drivers to physically move into their desired location. There is truth to that, and I do notice slight differences burning in the headphones I won. But cables? What exactly are we burning in for the cables? Does playing sound through cables magically make it move? Because cables transmit digital signals transmitted by the computer/audio equipment, and I've yet to know of a way digital signals can physically move a cable. That would be some otherworldly physics there.

TL;DR: No, burning in cables is completely ridiculous. Just like saying the PYST dumps the monoprice cables in terms of sound quality, it is ludicrous.

P.S. Take a look at this 'diamond' USB and read the descriptions over at the audioquest website. The way they attempt to explain the advantages it has over normal USB cables on their own website is quite funny really. If you do believe them, then I guess you are the sort who believes cables give better SQ

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-75m-Cable-iPhone/dp/B006ZZW3X6

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #1,356 of 2,577

TL;DR: No, burning in cables is completely ridiculous. Just like saying the PYST dumps the monoprice cables in terms of sound quality, it is ludicrous.

P.S. Take a look at this 'diamond' USB and read the descriptions over at the audioquest website. The way they attempt to explain the advantages it has over normal USB cables on their own website is quite funny really. If you do believe them, then I guess you are the sort who believes cables give better SQ

Yea, i agree with you, just mentioned the cable burn in to see if anyone else heard about it :)

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #1,357 of 2,577

They even have $1500 hdmi cables!  The reviews and comments are certainly entertaining.

EDIT:  Oh my, those reviews for the $1500 hdmi cable... 

EDIT 2: What? How? Why?  Audioquest event has a $14,000 hdmi cable!

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,358 of 2,577
They even have $1500 hdmi cables!  The reviews and comments are certainly entertaining.

EDIT:  Oh my, those reviews for the $1500 hdmi cable... 

EDIT 2: What? How? Why?  Audioquest event has a $14,000 hdmi cable!

The reviews are pretty hilarious.

Man and I thought their diamond UsB were the most expensive. Clearly I didnt bother to look. $14,000 LMAO

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #1,359 of 2,577
Neeed those diamonds to transmit digital signal duh  
wink_face.gif
/s off

Yet we can transmit digital signal through the air easily with no problems.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,360 of 2,577
I was just about to buy the Magni 2 Uber then I seen Vali 2. I have the AKG M220, AKG K553, AKG K7XX, Audio Technica ATH-AD900X. I got the Sennheiser HD 598 SE, and the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 LE are under the tree x-miss. Should I go with a flat sound signature like the Magni 2 because I have so many headphones or go with the Vali 2? I plan to buy more headphones next year too.

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #1,361 of 2,577
  I was just about to buy the Magni 2 Uber then I seen Vali 2. I have the AKG M220, AKG K553, AKG K7XX, Audio Technica ATH-AD900X. I got the Sennheiser HD 598 SE, and the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 LE are under the tree x-miss. Should I go with a flat sound signature like the Magni 2 because I have so many headphones or go with the Vali 2? I plan to buy more headphones next year too.

IMO you should go with a DAC\AMP that is as neutral and transparent as possible.
that way you can listen to your HPs sound signature and not the amp itself.
especially when you have a lot of HPs.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,362 of 2,577
Thus says the solid state guy.  The first Vali was apparently quite good.  This one is rollable and has a pre out.  Sounds fun to me.

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #1,365 of 2,577
I almost blew my ear out when one channel just went 100% volume, regardless of pot on my magni 2u. Truly bought some Schiit

EDIT:
Kinda wish I was dreaming

EDIT 2:
Turns out it was the potentiometer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back