*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Apr 22, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #421 of 2,577
Hey guys I am pretty new to hi-fi audio and am interesting in purchasing the magni / modi due to seeing how great the reviews are for it.

I dont know much about amps / dacs at the moment but all i really want to know is if I do end up purchasing the magni / modi will it make the bass through my headphones sound significantly better?

I have a audio technica a900x headphone driven with sound blaster Zx sound card.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #422 of 2,577
  Question for those who have the Magni 2/Modi combo...

Does Magni 2 also clip at high gain setting when used with 2V source like the O2/ODAC does?

Thanks.

It shouldn't be an issue with the Magni as that was due to a bad choice in the design of the O2/ODAC. It works fine with my Bifrost which is spec'd at a max out of 2 V RMS.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #423 of 2,577
Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[Clipping with sources greater than 2V RMS]

I shall try this out, my good sir. Time to pump up the volume!

Originally Posted by liraop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . .The Fleet Foxes debut album sounds... incredibly real and vivid.  Dang. I need to sleeeeep but it sounds SO GOOD. 

It is no problemo. I'm glad you're enjoying it. But please get some sleep! Maybe I should try listening to The Fleet Foxes.
Originally Posted by illitirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[Will Modi+Magni make A700X bass much better?]

This is actually a tough question, because it depends very specifically on the headphone itself. The right amp will make a headphone sound as good as it should, but it won't make it sound great automatically.
blink.gif
The Magni 2 Uber is very neutral, so it leaves my Q701 sounding, well, neutral. There is no bass or treble emphasis, unlike what my Sony Receiver puts out. I actually prefer my Q701 from my receiver because it adds bass. But the sound is much more clean and fast from my Magni 2 Uber!

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #424 of 2,577
: :
sound as good as it should, but it won't make it sound great automatically.
blink.gif
The Magni 2 Uber is very neutral, so it leaves my Q701 sounding, well, neutral. There is no bass or treble emphasis, unlike what my Sony Receiver puts out. I actually prefer my Q701 from my receiver because it adds bass. But the sound is much more clean and fast from my Magni 2 Uber!

Try some EQ to boost the sub bass.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #425 of 2,577
Originally Posted by StanD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try some EQ to boost the sub bass.

I should play around with the EQ. But then I get confused, wondering; Is this the right amount of EQ? Am I distorting the sound?
I'll see what I can do. Maybe I could measure my receiver to see how much bass it's adding. Thanks for the tip XP.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #426 of 2,577
I'm very interested in getting a magni 2 über to upgrade my desktop rig. Will connect it to fiio e10 to be used as the dac. My question is: will the magni2u be enough power to adequately drive the Beyer DT880-250ohm? Or should I jump to something like the Asgard 2. Thanks

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #427 of 2,577
I'm very interested in getting a magni 2 über to upgrade my desktop rig. Will connect it to fiio e10 to be used as the dac. My question is: will the magni2u be enough power to adequately drive the Beyer DT880-250ohm? Or should I jump to something like the Asgard 2. Thanks

The Magni 2 U will work just fine.

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #428 of 2,577
Just pulled the trigger. Magni/Modi 2 Uber.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #429 of 2,577
  Just pulled the trigger. Magni/Modi 2 Uber.

Sweet, fun up ahead for you. They really sound fantastic, deal of the centuary. Despite the urge for new toys, you might not need to get anything else unless you get an exotic headphone like an HE-6 that requires an inordinate amount of juice.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #430 of 2,577
  Sweet, fun up ahead for you. They really sound fantastic, deal of the centuary. Despite the urge for new toys, you might not need to get anything else unless you get an exotic headphone like an HE-6 that requires an inordinate amount of juice.

Agreed. At this point anything else just spending money.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #432 of 2,577
  The head-fi elite just removed you from their Christmas card list.

I'll be losing sleep over that. Spending all that extra money on music.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #434 of 2,577
Okay, now I can state something. 

4 days with my magni2uber and I'm concern about the problem I've stated on a previous post. 
There is some kind of noise, on the left channel, when using High Gain settings. It's like something is causing interference.
I've changed the sources and removed the RCA cable. The noise stands. It's noticeable when there is no music playing. 
I cant say if there is noise when I use Low Gain since I can't really listen. I hope it doesn't. 

My phones are all low impedance. 

Did anyone experience similar problems ?

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #435 of 2,577
  Okay, now I can state something. 

4 days with my magni2uber and I'm concern about the problem I've stated on a previous post. 
There is some kind of noise, on the left channel, when using High Gain settings. It's like something is causing interference.
I've changed the sources and removed the RCA cable. The noise stands. It's noticeable when there is no music playing. 
I cant say if there is noise when I use Low Gain since I can't really listen. I hope it doesn't. 

My phones are all low impedance. 

Did anyone experience similar problems ?

Contact Schiit for service, something isn't right. Removing the RCA cable means that there is no input, nothing plugged into the Magni's inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back