*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Apr 16, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #391 of 2,577
  @Crazy5miles Your Logitech speakers are 5.1 speakers for surround sound, The stuff you are looking at in the thread is 2 channel stereo audiophile kit. One hooks up powered speakers to the Magni 2 Uber's Preamp out's RCA jacks for L+R. The Modi is a PCM DAC, with L+R RCA outputs. You're going to have to  think this over some.

thanks Stan. I can't believe how i completely forgot that the z5500s are 5.1 speakers. guess i'm better off with the non-ubers and save the $100

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #393 of 2,577
  Is the front led suppose to dim on the magni 2 when you plug the headphones in?

Thanks

Only if you squint.
tongue.gif
 Nope.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #396 of 2,577
Also do you guys get any clipping sound when plugging the headphones in when the amp is on.

I get a light (depending on headphone sensitivity I guess) clicking/popping sound when the relay opens on power off and when it closes after power on (yeah, being lazy I leave them plugged in). Also, the clicking/popping is heard on insertion and removal of the headphone from the amp's connector. I've asked Schiit about this and they say it's normal, and that the click/pop when plugging is due to the TRS connector shorting out upon insertion/removal, an issue with the connector/plug's very design. Even so, better send them a mail and ask them about the specific sound you get.

No dimming of the LED when plugging/unplugging though. You may want to send them a mail about that as well.

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #397 of 2,577
I get a light (depending on headphone sensitivity I guess) clicking/popping sound when the relay opens on power off and when it closes after power on (yeah, being lazy I leave them plugged in). Also, the clicking/popping is heard on insertion and removal of the headphone from the amp's connector. I've asked Schiit about this and they say it's normal, and that the click/pop when plugging is due to the TRS connector shorting out upon insertion/removal, an issue with the connector/plug's very design. Even so, better send them a mail and ask them about the specific sound you get.

No dimming of the LED when plugging/unplugging though. You may want to send them a mail about that as well.

Thanks already send them a email about the dimming and clipping also told them I would like a new amp to try. 

Will update on how it goes for me thanks again guys for the help!

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #399 of 2,577
Recently bought ATH-AD900x's and a Fiio e10k. Absolutely amazing... the headphones that is. The Fiio e10k barely seems to do anything, maybe minor but it's not a big difference. I'm running it on a high-end Retina Macbook Pro though, so it probably already has a decent DAC and amp. So, my question is, would this Schiit stack improve the sound noticeably? Everything I've read seems to point to yes, but then a lot of people said the e10k sounds amazing, but it barely does anything with my Macbook.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #400 of 2,577
  Recently bought ATH-AD900x's and a Fiio e10k. Absolutely amazing... the headphones that is. The Fiio e10k barely seems to do anything, maybe minor but it's not a big difference. I'm running it on a high-end Retina Macbook Pro though, so it probably already has a decent DAC and amp. So, my question is, would this Schiit stack improve the sound noticeably? Everything I've read seems to point to yes, but then a lot of people said the e10k sounds amazing, but it barely does anything with my Macbook.

Have you tried any other headphones through that setup and what type of files are you playing?

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #402 of 2,577

thanks Stan. I can't believe how i completely forgot that the z5500s are 5.1 speakers. guess i'm better off with the non-ubers and save the $100

But for the improvements and features you get with the Uber models it's worth every penny.

The Magni 2 UBER does put out a bit more juice and the Modi 2 Uber has all 3 digital inputs.

That sounds like a win across the board in my book.

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #403 of 2,577
Hi guys, 

Just bought my Magni 2 Uber. I'm planning to buy modi 2 u later, meanwhile I'll be using as source my E10K. 
I have one question though... would it be safe to use MBP headphone out as source for Magni ? 

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #405 of 2,577
Originally Posted by liraop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . .would it be safe to use MBP headphone out as source for Magni ? 

Yes, it would be absolutely safe. You can(and should) leave the volume up around 80% on your Mac Book Pro and use the Magni's volume control to reach your listening level. This will assure that you get maximum dynamic range. However, it will drain your battery faster. But in terms of safety, you won't be able to damage your headphones or ears as long as you keep the Magni's volume at normal levels.
   Here is a Head-Fi thread where the subject is debated: http://www.head-fi.org/t/605183/high-volume-on-the-amp-and-low-volume-on-the-audio-player-or-vice-versa
Some people suggest that higher than 80% volume will overload the source and cause clipping. On the other hand, lower than 80% will cause the most quiet sounds and loudest sounds to come closer together(lower dynamic range.)

I have tested my Magni 2 Uber with a number of sources: Sony AV receivers, PCs, MP3 players, smart phones, etc. It works well with all of them, though receivers are slightly different as they output much more voltage. I usually keep my source volume at 100%, using Foobar2000 with WASAPI from my PCs. Fear not!
cool.gif
(The Magni has a relay that should protect you anyway.)

On a different note, I took my Magni 2 Uber in for some X-rays yesterday. Here is the result:

This thing is beautiful as Schiit! I'm glad I chose the Uber version, as a steel frame would have been a nightmare to get X-rays through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back