*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Apr 19, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #406 of 2,577
     Yes, it would be absolutely safe. You can(and should) leave the volume up around 80% on your Mac Book Pro and use the Magni's volume control to reach your listening level. This will assure that you get maximum dynamic range. However, it will drain your battery faster. But in terms of safety, you won't be able to damage your headphones or ears as long as you keep the Magni's volume at normal levels.
   Here is a Head-Fi thread where the subject is debated: http://www.head-fi.org/t/605183/high-volume-on-the-amp-and-low-volume-on-the-audio-player-or-vice-versa
Some people suggest that higher than 80% volume will overload the source and cause clipping. On the other hand, lower than 80% will cause the most quiet sounds and loudest sounds to come closer together(lower dynamic range.)

I have tested my Magni 2 Uber with a number of sources: Sony AV receivers, PCs, MP3 players, smart phones, etc. It works well with all of them, though receivers are slightly different as they output much more voltage. I usually keep my source volume at 100%, using Foobar2000 with WASAPI from my PCs. Fear not!
cool.gif
(The Magni has a relay that should protect you anyway.)

Thanks for the reply! Very didactic

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #407 of 2,577
It's no problem. I get kinda carried away sometimes
blink.gif

Say, have you guys actually checked the temperature of your Magni 2 Ubers? I used an infrared thermometer and found that the outside of mine reached 113°F! It seems to get hottest near the stereo input.

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #408 of 2,577
How does the Magni 2 Uber pair with an HD 800? I believe I am going to sell/trade my X7 for a Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber, but before I do, I want to make sure that this pairing is effective and sounds good. Thanks in advance. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #409 of 2,577
Holy schiit. Magni 2u on High Gain brought life to my DT770. It sounds better than ever! The bass is hitting deeper, stills tight and there's more detail in general.

On X2 the story is a little different. The bass now is very very controlled. Sounds a little more open and more neutral overall but the improvement is not that noticeable as on DT770. 

I'm using now MPB as source for Magni2u and it sounds better than the E10K I have. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #410 of 2,577
I realize this is a Schiit based thread and there may be some bias, but I figured some of you may know the answer to my question anyway.

I'm thinking of getting the Modi 2 Uber to replace the DAC portion of my Aune T1. The main reason is to get optical/coax inputs so that I can also hook up my blu ray player and whatever else I might find down the road alongside my computer. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you know about or have tested/owned similarly priced dacs with all three of those inputs. I haven't really found anything and while I have no issues with the Modi 2 Uber, I want to make sure I'm considering all options before I buy. I really only have a budget of $150 or so. I plan on using this with a different amp down the road, but for now it would be used with my T1 amp.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #411 of 2,577
Well, after one day with the amp, I think I have a problem. (I'll re-read the thread, though) 
I have some kind of noise on the left channel. It's like a ground problem or interference. 
The "ground-noise" problem also happens when touch the volume pot but I think that is expected. 
They are all amp isolated problems. (by this I reduce the causes for power supply and amp).

I'll wait and spend more time with it to see what happens. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #413 of 2,577
  Will 598s benefit at all from amping? The only reason I could think of getting the dac is to reduce that background noise from my desktop..

Would still be nice to get so I can upgrade later.

Unless your source/phone/DAP is a weakling, the HD5x8 series of cans are so easy to drive thay really don't need an external amp.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #415 of 2,577
Question for those who have the Magni 2/Modi combo...

Does Magni 2 also clip at high gain setting when used with 2V source like the O2/ODAC does?

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #417 of 2,577
I don't think so.... clip?

Basically what happens with the O2 when it is used with a DAC line voltage of 2V (such as the ODAC or most other standalone dedicated DACs)  is that it clips/audibly distorts at gain settings higher than 3.5x. Just wondering if high gain in the Magni 2 is the same when fed the line voltage such as the one from the Modi.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #418 of 2,577
Basically what happens with the O2 when it is used with a DAC line voltage of 2V (such as the ODAC or most other standalone dedicated DACs)  is that it clips/audibly distorts at gain settings higher than 3.5x. Just wondering if high gain in the Magni 2 is the same when fed the line voltage such as the one from the Modi.

With the 650s, I haven't heard any distortion or anything with the ubers

Apr 22, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #419 of 2,577
     (...) You can(and should) leave the volume up around 80% on your Mac Book Pro and use the Magni's volume control to reach your listening level. (...)

I MUST thank you one more time! The MPB out is way better with micro details and soundstage than E10K's. The sound is more open and bass tighter. 
It sounds SO FREAKING GOOD through Magni 2 Uber on my X2 and DT770. I can't barely describe it. I'm re-listening some records and I'm really blown away.
Sound in general improved. Everything is smoothed and neutral. 

The Fleet Foxes debut album sounds... incredibly real and vivid.  Dang. I need to sleeeeep but it sounds SO GOOD. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back