*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Apr 9, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #361 of 2,577
Yes, from my understanding they all have the loose button, its an unfortunate oversight in their engineering on an otherwise good looking solidly built item.

Thank you for answering this, cbennett0811. I was actually just about to ask about it. The button on my Modi 2U makes what I would call a moderately loud, metallic "clack" sound when I touch it in certain ways.

It's definitely not anything that gets in the way of listening. I just wanted to know if mine was the only one that behaved this way.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, does the Bifrost button have a similar issue?

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #362 of 2,577
Yes both the bifrost and gungnir that I've owned had the same loose floating knob for switching it's just more obvious on the modi because of its small size you tend to move it around more it's nothing to worry about since the actual button is behind the button that you push if that makes any sense.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #363 of 2,577
I believe that someone ask me several pages back how the bifrost fit in between the modi 2 uber and the gungnir and at the time I had never heard the bifrost but have since bought one and it's hard to say since I have over 500 hours on my gungnir but from what I've hear from my uberrfrost after about 20 hours is that if the modi2 uber was a 1 and the gungnir was a 10 I would put the uberrfrost at about a 6 or 7 I can hear an improvement over the modi 2 uber but it's not quite as good as the gungnir using only se outputs but I really need to hear/ burn in the uberrfrost for about 100 hours before I can say for sure.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #364 of 2,577
Yes, from my understanding they all have the loose button, its an unfortunate oversight in their engineering on an otherwise good looking solidly built item.

I think i'm gonna open it up and see if i can stick something in or tape it or something so it doesn't rattle like a rattlesnake having a seizure every time i pick it up XD

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #365 of 2,577
Can anyone with a Magni 2 Uber open theirs up and take a few pictures of the PCB?  Thanks!

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #366 of 2,577
Apr 11, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #368 of 2,577
Truyền hình FPT là sản phẩm tích hợp công nghệ giải trí hiện đại và thông minh nhất, được cung cấp bởi FPT Telecom, truyền hình FPT và dịch vụ đăng ký internet fpt đà lạt và lắp mạng fpt quận 4 sẽ truyền tải đến nhà bạn một hệ thống thông tin giải trí phong phú. Với truyền hình FPT khán giả thật sự sẽ có một trải nghiệm thể thao đỉnh cao hoàn toàn khác biệt, truyền hình FPT đã mua bản quyền phát sóng thể thao tất cả các trận Ngoại Hạng Anh và nhiều môn thể thao khác như Tennis, Billard, Golf... Khán giả có thể chủ động xem 8 trận đấu Ngoại hạng Anh cùng 1 lúc với chất lượng âm thanh tuyệt hảo và bình luận chuẩn quốc tế. khi đăng ký dịch vụ đăng ký internet fpt khánh hòađăng ký internet fpt hạ long và đăng ký internet fpt thanh oai với Tính năng Luyện tập trong Mục Thể Thao. Truyền hình FPT mang đến những bài tập thể thao như: Yoga, bóng đá… giúp người xem có thể rèn luyện thể dục thể thao tại nhà qua những video hướng dẫn do Truyền hình FPT cung cấp và liên tục cập nhật.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #369 of 2,577
  My Uber stack just arrived at my girlies house. Would have cost $47 to ship to Canada, uninsured, untracked, gets here when it gets here. Or for $11, shipped to my girlies, 2-day shipping, fully insured and tracked....
Anyways so its there, I'm dying.
Going down tomorrow. Bought my RCAs and Optical cable already. I'll have to plug it into her DvD player to test it until I get home frown.gif

ok when you do, could you try seeing if the Modi makes static fuzz when the input is on toslink, and the magni is at high volumes? mine did that for a couple hours after receiving it, and then it suddenly stopped... :/ i'm curious.

also, i think it's kind of adorable you call her your girlie XD. i might steal that one.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #370 of 2,577
ok when you do, could you try seeing if the Modi makes static fuzz when the input is on toslink, and the magni is at high volumes? mine did that, and suddenly stopped... :/ i'm curious.

I've just tried with my Modi2U/Magni2U, and it does output audible static on high volumes for both coax and toslink (to a lesser degree on the toslink) inputs when nothing is connected to them. When the input is connected to a source (doesn't matter if anything is actually playing or not, but the source must be turned on), then there is no noise at all even at max volume.

I guess I have some 40 hours of usage on the M&Ms by now.

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #371 of 2,577
  From their website.

That must have been added in the last 4 months or so because when I bought my Magni 2 they didn't have pictures for the Uber model.  Thank you!

From looking over it a few minutes there are a few more resistors and caps used, but you have to keep in mind the added preamp outputs.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #373 of 2,577
does anyone else's Magni 2 Uber run warm?

Yes, my Magni2U gets warm to the touch but not hot. I haven't measured, but a guess is around 38-40°C / 100-105°F. As the chassis acts as a heat sink, a bit of temperature is to be expected.

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #375 of 2,577
Hello all, I've just spent quite a while reading thru this entire post so I'm hoping that somebody can please take a moment to answer this question:

Any impressions on audible difference between the Modi (original) vs. Modi 2 or vs. Uber version?

After owning the original Modi+Magni for almost a year and extensive testing, I've realised that the old Modi puts out a sound that is slightly 'distant' or 'middle row', as compared the the 'front row' sound I get when daisy-chaining the Magni 1 my laptop's amplified soundcard (via 3.5mm to RCA), as opposed to the original modi+magni setup. So has anybody done enough A+B testing between only the old Modi DAC and the Modi 2 and/or Modi 2 Uber to be able to tell if there is any noticeable sound improvement that is audible?

Note that I do not need the additional inputs of the uber version; only the USB input so I'm wondering if the Uber version actually sounds better than the normal Modi 2 or not.
Essentially I'm looking for a DAC with better sound imagining (instrument placement), detail retrieval and 'direct-ness' than the old Modi. So any audible impressions, or recommendations on other DACs would be much obliged!  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back