*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Apr 4, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #331 of 2,577
  They're here! :D

It only took 2 days! Opened them up, plugged them in. Initial impressions...

Holy hell

These things
I can't even english anymore.
they sound wonderful. I'm just sitting here listening to songs I've heard a hundred times and sweating like a pig with excitement from just how much more I can hear. :) It'll probably take a little getting used to.
I notice that at low levels, SO much more detail is present. I've not noticed these on the computer. Well schiit, i guess i'll have to relisten to 84 hours of cds that i have ripped.

The left channel is a little weak at low volume in the magni, but that's ok, i can turn down the computer's source volume and turn up the knob. Will this make the signal more noisy?

Also the input button on the Modi is really loose, like REALLY loose, but that's also fine because I only have one input/output I'll ever use.

I can understand now how the Ultrasone hfi-580s that i use are Bassy and bright. I guess they've never really been driven by anything decent until now. Still love them though. The Sennheiser HD650s should be here in a couple days, so I'll see how those sound too.

If u r gonna use 1 input, why did u get the uber ver? Just the normal ver will do?

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #333 of 2,577

If u r gonna use 1 input, why did u get the uber ver? Just the normal ver will do?

Uber is supposed to have a better analog section...
And because shiny.

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #335 of 2,577
  Will the Modi 2 Uber support a 192/24 connection through toslink?

From the Schiit site:

Modi 2 Uber: 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB. 16/44.1 to 24/192 via Toslink* and Coax.
*Note: many optical transmitters cannot output 24/176 and 24/192 reliably

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #336 of 2,577

From the Schiit site:

Modi 2 Uber: 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB. 16/44.1 to 24/192 via Toslink* and Coax.
*Note: many optical transmitters cannot output 24/176 and 24/192 reliably

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

the transmitter, perhaps, but is there anything about the modi being able to receive a 192/24 signal via toslink?

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #339 of 2,577

they sound wonderful. I'm just sitting here listening to songs I've heard a hundred times and sweating like a pig with excitement from just how much more I can hear. :) It'll probably take a little getting used to.
I notice that at low levels, SO much more detail is present. I've not noticed these on the computer. Well schiit, i guess i'll have to relisten to 84 hours of cds that i have ripped.

I can understand now how the Ultrasone hfi-580s that i use are Bassy and bright. I guess they've never really been driven by anything decent until now. Still love them though. The Sennheiser HD650s should be here in a couple days, so I'll see how those sound too.

Do you use Jriver or Foobar (wasapi)?
Do you convert all your music in .FLAC instead of .mp3?
Also the EQ equaliser setting totally change how it sounds too (much better) --> http://www.ziyadnazem.com/post/956431457/the-perfect-eq-settings-unmasking-the-eq   (I chose the Boosted one)
I wanted to make them sound even greater with my Beyer DT880 so the program "DFX audio Enhancer" is fantastic. :D (i downloaded the cracked version on youtube) My best DFX setting: Fid. 7/10,  Amb. Off, 3DSur. Off, Dyn.Bst Off, Hyprbass 6/10.   :wink:

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #340 of 2,577
  Do you use Jriver or Foobar (wasapi)?
Do you convert all your music in .FLAC instead of .mp3?
Also the EQ equaliser setting totally change how it sounds too (much better) --> http://www.ziyadnazem.com/post/956431457/the-perfect-eq-settings-unmasking-the-eq   (I chose the Boosted one)
I wanted to make them sound even greater with my Beyer DT880 so the program "DFX audio Enhancer" is fantastic. :D (i downloaded the cracked version on youtube) My best DFX setting: Fid. 7/10,  Amb. Off, 3DSur. Off, Dyn.Bst Off, Hyprbass 6/10.   :wink:

I use Winamp

Flac-ripped CD's are the lowest-quality thing i'll listen to. ^_^

I don't use any EQ. I like the music to be as clean as possible.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #341 of 2,577
Hi guys.

I'm thinking of getting a modi 2 uber and was wondering if this would work:
IPhone>lightning to USB type A>usb type A to USB type B>modi 2

I'm pretty new to some of this audio stuff so I'm sorry if it's a stupid question

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #342 of 2,577
Hi guys.

I'm pretty new to some of this audio stuff so I'm sorry if it's a stupid question

You will probably need a powered USB Hub as the iPhone might not be able to supply enough current for the Modi's USB port.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #343 of 2,577
You will probably need a powered USB Hub as the iPhone might not be able to supply enough current for the Modi's USB port.

Indeed true.
Personally in this config, Would move to Modi 2 Uber and skip the powered hub.

edit, correction.

as others stated, a powered hub is still necessary despite modi 2 uber having it's own internal power supply.
confirmed, as I tested it myself this morning without the Wyrd.

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #344 of 2,577

That will not work, I have confirmed that with my iPhone and Modi2 Uber. You will get the "This device draws too much power" message on the phone. You will need a powered hub in between.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #345 of 2,577
That will not work, I have confirmed that with my iPhone and Modi2 Uber. You will get the "This device draws too much power" message on the phone. You will need a powered hub in between.

Exactly. The wall wart for the Uber powers the linear circuitry, the USB port still gets its juice from the source connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back