*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jun 19, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #796 of 2,577
This might be an odd question but does anyone else with a Modi 2 uber and Magni 2 uber have different finishes?

My magni 2 uber color seems to be darker, the modi 2 uber i have seems lighter in color.  There is nothing wrong with them sonically but the difference in finishes is kind of bothering me due to OCD.

I purchased them at different times however the only reason i purchased the modi 2 uber in the first place was so that it would match my magni 2 uber.

Anyone else with different finishes?

here is a picture, and obvious difference.

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #799 of 2,577
  This is a good question and one I could be interested in finding out  . . .

On another note, I have just purchased the Magni 2U and will be here early next week. I will work on getting the Modi 2/U at a later date. I believe in purchasing the Uber models, I am in essence 'future proofing' myself to some degree, and I had to have a reason the justified the extra $77AUD haha but yes, am excited to hear my chillout playlist through this AMP w/ my Grado SR325e's . . .

Cheers TM 

i'm plugging my magni 2 uber to 325e as well. ps: Your questions is more specifically addressed to Grado thread as well hehe.
The 2uber to 325e sound good.

There is no futureproof by the way. Eventually, if you like your Grado enough, you will get the Little Dot i+ or some other amps. To be honest, if you have shoestring budget like I do... and not too audiophile-ic with sounds, in relation to the budget you have. Magni 2 Uber is the last amplifiers you will ever need.

That was behind my purchasing decision at the time, and after all this time, I still stand by that. Sure with more disposable incomes, I'd eventually get a Lyr 5 and/or Asgard 4 someday. But Magni 2 Uber is powerful enough for majority of headphones out there (considering it's economical price :D).

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #801 of 2,577
  if i buy

Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber 

can i use the volume control to adjust the powered speakers (yamaha hs7) 

yes, run the output of the magni 2 uber to the input of the powered speakers

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #802 of 2,577
  if i buy

Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber 

can i use the volume control to adjust the powered speakers (yamaha hs7) 

Originally Posted by jaywillin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  yes, run the output of the magni 2 uber to the input of the powered speakers

Additional small note, the pre-amp out on the back of the Magni 2 Uber is only active when you unplug your headphones. Mine is hooked to a pair of Definitive Inclines and the sound is great.

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #803 of 2,577
Additional small note, the pre-amp out on the back of the Magni 2 Uber is only active when you unplug your headphones. Mine is hooked to a pair of Definitive Inclines and the sound is great.

yes,that's correct
and how do you like the inclines ?
I almost bought a pair recently

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #804 of 2,577
yes,that's correct
and how do you like the inclines ?
I almost bought a pair recently
Love them. I've had mine for a little over a year. Surprisingly complete range coverage, solid low end power, clean reproduction, and the angling definitely helps it work for a desktop set up. Not much reproduction in the sub 60Hz or so range, but I wouldn't expect to get that in this form factor. Most people are surprised that there isn't a subwoofer. Highly recommended.

Edit: Changed 80 to 60. It does go surprisingly low.

Jun 21, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #805 of 2,577
I'm looking to upgrade my headphones now that  have the Schiit stack. Was wondering if the HE-400i sound pair well with these. I have heard some amps color the sound of some headphones. I listen to movies and music. Want some to use just on my computer.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #806 of 2,577
  I'm looking to upgrade my headphones now that  have the Schiit stack. Was wondering if the HE-400i sound pair well with these. I have heard some amps color the sound of some headphones. I listen to movies and music. Want some to use just on my computer.

It does. Magni2 can run them perfectly fine.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #807 of 2,577
I still have some glitches with my M2U. They randomely occur through quiet parts, like the beginning of this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onGWF8mz1Zw
Not sure whether my USB cable is 2.0 or 1.0 (very old), but there are far less glitches than before (very very short cable). Have to test with an other cable.

Ali

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #809 of 2,577
  How big is the difference between normal and uber versions? Especially for HD 600?

0.9 dB of power, nothing that should keep you up late at night. Any differences in SNR or distortion should be well below a human's ability to tell any difference.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #810 of 2,577
Thank you for the reply. Sorry I did not respond sooner. Job has been getting to me. I have read reviews saying terms like muddy and what not but now I understand. I have a pair of old Image One from Klipsch. LOL must say being used to the HDJ-2000 then going to them. It is like listen to speakers with a pillow over them. I have not listened to them for well over a year now. Thought they were pretty good but now can't stand them. Going to try to give them away. Don't want to sell them for fear of making an enemy. I like the sound of the Pioneers so want to use them on my Note 4. I have it rooted and been using Viper4 Audio. Not too bad I must say. I listened to players but felt like my money would be better spent on DAC and Amp for the computer so I went with the Schiit stack. I'm glad I did. Looking at the HE-400i for home use. I listen to movies and music at home. From what I understand from the reviews the sound signature seems to be good for this.

It does. Magni2 can run them perfectly fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back