*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Sep 2, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #2,071 of 2,577
  oh well, they sent me the older version then.

the device is turned off

even if they told me that:

I'm a little pissed off at the moment...

Hi,
Can you tell me why you like the 4490 version Modi2u that much? The older version (that uses 4396 chip) indeed has a more balanced sound than the new one. Not having too much bass and not being v-shape sound like the 4490 version.

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #2,072 of 2,577
  hi everybody .i'm looking for a helping connection my Yamaha hs8 (pair )  with Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) . I trying to hook them up with mogami cables balance TRS. Can anyone helps me a good way to  connect them.
i'm sorry for my English grammar . 

My speaker has TRS input and Magni uber have output.

Look at page 5 of the manual at the below link. You will probably need unbalanced cables for each channel. RCA male to plug into each channel of the Magni preamp output going to a TR Phone Plug into the Yamaha. The manual doesn't specify the size of the phone plug, either 6.35 mm or 3.5mm, so you'll have to find out.
http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=67446

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #2,073 of 2,577
I just got my Magni 2 Uber, and boy does this thing have power.  I don't have any hard to drive headphones, so the knob never gets past 10 o'clock on low gain.  I got the Uber over the standard for the preouts, so I could control my old Creative 2.1 system with it, instead of the dopy inline volume wheel they had.  The only problem, the pre-out is super loud as well.  With my speakers, it never gets past 9 o'clock.  For me, it'd be nice if the low gain was even lower.  I eventually plan to get a SYS, which I could drop the input down with that so the amp volume knob would have a bit more range for me.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #2,075 of 2,577
Ok this baffles me. I just tried to hook my iphone 6s up to my Modi 2 uber and it keeps saying its drawing to much power. But i hook it up to my Bifrost and it works fine. Whats the purpose of plugging them in if there still going to draw of of the device? Anybody willing to explain in laymans terms how two DAC's with the same guts as far as i know and one works and the other doesn't.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #2,076 of 2,577
I just noticed on my new Magni 2 Uber, the volume knob is not centered in the hole on the front panel. Is this normal, or is mine not quite straight?

Edit: actually, now that I'm looking closer, it has a slight wiggle so the gap changes as you rotate it.  It doesn't seem right. I think I'll send Schiit an email.

Edit 2: After emailing Schiit, they're sending me the special allen key to tighten the set screw, it's likely it's just a bit loose.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #2,077 of 2,577
Optical/SPDIF question, been using the usb from modi2uber to PC, just switched to a Optical cable into SPDIF back of motherboard, the only way I can get it to work is by setting "Realtek Digital Output(Optical)" as the playback device (Modi device doesnt show up as the name like it did on USB), is it ok if Realtek is the device and is this normal??

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #2,078 of 2,577
Optical/SPDIF question, been using the usb from modi2uber to PC, just switched to a Optical cable into SPDIF back of motherboard, the only way I can get it to work is by setting "Realtek Digital Output(Optical)" as the playback device (Modi device doesnt show up as the name like it did on USB), is it ok if Realtek is the device and is this normal??

Need to go the schitt website. They have the drivers you can download since it sounds like your computer didn't do it automatically. Mine didn't either.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #2,081 of 2,577
cool thanks guys, i really couldnt hear any difference and i dont have any noise issue with USB so i switched back to USB 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #2,082 of 2,577
cool thanks guys, i really couldnt hear any difference and i dont have any noise issue with USB so i switched back to USB 
tongue_smile.gif

I have just almost asked you about that. Nice to know that you didn't hear any difference between 2 inputs :) I have always wanted my Modi2u got a better sound quality throught the coaxial but building a CPU for SPDIF is not an easy work to me :)

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #2,083 of 2,577
 Schiit really makes a great entry level combo. Never tried to use my B2 with the Magni2 Uber because of the fear of blowing
tongue.gif
 . Tonight i did not even recognize my old in ear headphone. What a bass. So deep and so full.
basshead.gif

P/s: The high gain mode sounds far better than the low gain. Volume matched.

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #2,084 of 2,577
Ooh, I see that you're warming up your IEMs, tamleo. (Get it? Because the Magni2Uber is really warm. =P) I'm glad that you're enjoying your Schiit stack. I've never used IEMs with the Magni2Uber because of that same fear, but it actually seems like a great idea after all. Wait, you aren't using high gain with in-ears, are you?
basshead.gif

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #2,085 of 2,577
  Ooh, I see that you're warming up your IEMs, tamleo. (Get it? Because the Magni2Uber is really warm. =P) I'm glad that you're enjoying your Schiit stack. I've never used IEMs with the Magni2Uber because of that same fear, but it actually seems like a great idea after all. Wait, you aren't using high gain with in-ears, are you?
basshead.gif

=p I get it. But because I was using the amp at very low volume, the Magni 2 U was just semi warm (37-40 degree Celsius I guess ).
Yeah I use the high gain because the sound quality of low gain is so medicocre. I don't know why.
I had just remembered that Schiit only noted that we should use the low gain as some in-ear headphones are very sensitive to hiss. And i really didn't hear any hiss or noise whatsoever with my B2 so i dared to try the high gain.
Just remember to turn the volume to zero before powering on and switching between high and low gain mode. Then your iems would be OK 
biggrin.gif

P/s: Sorry for my English

Users who are viewing this thread

Back