Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #1,291 of 10,664
Bought a 2nd hand 5th Gen (details below) with a view to tarting it up to match my 7th gen (also below) and was wondering if there was a 256GB SSD that was known to work with both models? (should I end up deciding to drop the 160GB HD from the newer one into the 5th gen or some other unforeseen circumstance)
Thanks in advance

Name: iPod with video (Generation 5)
ModelCode: ipod_video
Family name: A1136
Model Number: MA146
Group1: iPod
Group2: nothing
Generation: 5
CPU speed: 80MHz
Screen size: 2.5 inch
Screen resolution: 320x240 pixels
Colour: Black
Production year: 2005
Production week: 53 (January)
Production number: 14892 (within this week)
Model introduced: 2006
Capacity: 30GB
Factory: 4V (China)
---------------
Family name: A1238
Model Number: MC297
Group1: iPod
Group2: Classic
Generation: 7
Colour: Black
Production year: 2009
Production week: 36 (September)
Production number: 16583 (within this week)
Model introduced: 2008
Capacity: 160GB
Memory - flavour: x0
Factory: 8K (China)

May 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,292 of 10,664
Quote:
Bought a 2nd hand 5th Gen (details below) with a view to tarting it up to match my 7th gen (also below) and was wondering if there was a 256GB SSD that was known to work with both models? (should I end up deciding to drop the 160GB HD from the newer one into the 5th gen or some other unforeseen circumstance)
Thanks in advance

Sadly there is no 256GB SSD for the 7th gen iPod... Yet.

Which site did you use to get your iPod's information?

May 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #1,293 of 10,664
Played with the mSATA more last night . While it worked running the apple OF on a 5.5g/80GB model initially, it failed on my other two modded ipods (all sad faces). Eventually, when I put it back to the first ipod (which it worked initially) I kept getting the famous sad faces no matter what I tried. I am pretty sure the cables were connected good. Sometimes it gave the "Low battery please wait". While I am not sure what has caused all these sad faces, I have a strong feeling there is a serious power issue with the mSATA drive. Torne also mentioned about the power issue in his latest post at the RB thread with the mSATA'ed ipod he is dealing with. Would like to hear from other head-fi'ers about the battery issue. Does the battery drain fast and how long does a full charge last?

May 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,294 of 10,664
Quote:
Played with the mSATA more last night . While it worked running the apple OF on a 5.5g/80GB model initially, it failed on my other two modded ipods (all sad faces). Eventually, when I put it back to the first ipod (which it worked initially) I kept getting the famous sad faces no matter what I tried. I am pretty sure the cables were connected good. Sometimes it gave the "Low battery please wait". While I am not sure what has caused all these sad faces, I have a strong feeling there is a serious power issue with the mSATA drive. Torne also mentioned about the power issue in his latest post at the RB thread with the mSATA'ed ipod he is dealing with. Would like to hear from other head-fi'ers about the battery issue. Does the battery drain fast and how long does a full charge last?

Mine last probably nine hours, the charge times is normal (Maybe three hours using an 1 amp charger)  Remove the battery and let the board fully discharge overnight then try again.   

I use mine on a daily basis (at work) and it is stable.

May 31, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,295 of 10,664
Quote:
Mine last probably nine hours, the charge times is normal (Maybe three hours using an 1 amp charger)  Remove the battery and let the board fully discharge overnight then try again.   

I use mine on a daily basis (at work) and it is stable.

It appears these mSATA's and/or adapters consume much more battery than the CF mods. Thanks for the tip on overnight discharge and I will give it a try.

I may stick to the CF's and return the drive to Amazon if the power consumption is an issue.

May 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,297 of 10,664
Quote:
DMinor, are you using a different (brand/model) mSATA drive than cmarti's? And how about
your green mSATA adapter, is it any different than cmarti's? Thanks for your comments.

This adapter is the green one I bought from eBay and it appears to be the same as what cmarti and others bought from Amazon (I believe). It worked initially with the Apple OF but it now gives me the sad face after I removed it from and then put it back in the same ipod.

The blue one (much bigger) couldn't get connected using the stock ribbon cable (too short to reach the ZIF socket after the mSATA is inserted into the adapter). So we can forget about that one.

May 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,298 of 10,664
I know all 3.3v mSATA SSD should theoretically work the same way. But maybe slight variation in power consumption or supply could cause a problem.
DMinor, could it be that your iPod battery is not supplying enough power? Does you iPod battery work well with CF card or stock hard drive now?
Is cmarti also using the same model of Crucial M4 256GB mSATA (DMinor's is this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0085J17UA/ref=redir_mdp_mobile)?

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #1,299 of 10,664
If I upgrade my memory for my iPod touch, can I take the memory out and use it on an iPod Classic 5.5G?

Figured it's more cost efficient for now to upgrade my memory instead of buying a new iPod + the latter

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #1,300 of 10,664
I know all 3.3v mSATA SSD should theoretically work the same way. But maybe slight variation in power consumption or supply could cause a problem.
DMinor, could it be that your iPod battery is not supplying enough power? Does you iPod battery work well with CF card or stock hard drive now?
Is cmarti also using the same model of Crucial M4 256GB mSATA (DMinor's is this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0085J17UA/ref=redir_mdp_mobile)?

My batteries are all doing great with the CF's, in fact that's one reason I like the CF mods. My 256gb msata is the same as cmarti's. I saw pic of his msata.

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #1,303 of 10,664
Quote:
Sadly there is no 256GB SSD for the 7th gen iPod... Yet.

Which site did you use to get your iPod's information?

Oh well, it'll keep me focused on my original task. The website is here: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html.

Now to scour this rather long thread (!) to discover what I need to buy...

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,305 of 10,664
So I've purchased the m4 256GB SSD along with a the ZIF>mSATA adapter suggested as a bundle, got everything together and am trying to get it to work with my 5G, no matter what, though when the ipod starts up it shows the 'dead ipod' screen after a little bit and shuts off. Does the SSD need to be reformatted first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back