Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,276 of 10,664
Quote:
Don't think the blue one (Type 2) will work as you have already tried it without success, but I will give it a try anyway. The green card should be working. I ordered it from China and it looks like the ones your guys bought from Amazon.

I doubt I will receive the mSATA before I leave for a long trip this weekend as Amazon still shows option for cancellation - meaning they have not shipped it out yet.

I will place an order for the Type 1 this Friday, will let know the community if it works.

Enjoy your trip!

May 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,277 of 10,664
Quote:
I will place an order for the Type 1 this Friday, will let know the community if it works.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks my friend. Your effort and willingness to explore more options for the lovely 5g's are much appreciated.

BTW, have you given it a try to the patch or RB test build posted by the RB devs Torne?

May 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #1,280 of 10,664
Quote:
I've bought:
- 1* SSD mSata Crucial M4 256gb.
- 1* SSD mSata Crucia M4 128gb.
- 2* msata to zif adapter.

To be sure, this is the adapter that I've bought, it looks the same as the one from amazon but cheaper, will it work? http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251274441512&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4608wt_1397

That one looks exactly the same as mine, you should be good to go.

Where you plan to use these mSata drives?

May 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,285 of 10,664
Just tracked my mSATA ordered from Amazon and it appears I will get it tomorrow just on time before my trip. So I may give it a try to rockbox (using the test build posted by Torne) the mSATA using both of my adapters if I have some time left after packing for the trip.
wink_face.gif

May 31, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #1,288 of 10,664
I received the 256GB mSTAT earlier than I thought so I decided to give it a try instantly with my two adapters.

The bigger and blue adapter did NOT work even before I closed the back plate. After the mSATA was inserted, the cable won't be able to reach the slot to make the connection. So forget about that adapter.

The other green card was installed like a charm and iTunes restored it without any problem. Then I enabled the disk mode and installed the rockbox and immediately replaced the rockback folder with the test built posted by Torne.

Reboot the ipod to rockbox. Tried to open one flac file and it hung! Forced a reboot then everything went down hill from there with all kinds of problems showing, e,g. automatic reboot forever, asking for restore, low battery please wait, etc. At this point the ipod was HOT like girls in bikini at the beach. After a few opening/closing ipod, finally reboot it to the OF and restored it and wiped out all the rockbox junky.

Now I am having a working 256GB mSATA ipod 5.5g running on Apple's OF. I am playing music now and don't feel any fever with the ipod anymore, but it remains to be seen if there will be any other unforeseen issues.

One thing I would like to mention is the writing speed is about 13 MB/sec for this mSATA drive.

SO, for now forget about that RB test built unless I didn't install the files properly.

Edit: The iPod suddenly lost power and I had to recharge it. While charging I noticed the ipod was HOT again. So this appears to have nothing to do with rockbox. It maybe a mSATA issue and I remember reading this issue before. I would like to know how other owners of the mSATA's have resolved this issue. Thanks in advance.

May 31, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #1,290 of 10,664
Mine gets hot too when charging and transferring files, but other than that works fine with the OF.  I did replace the battery on mine with a new original 7th gen one (Friend who works at BB gave it to me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back