Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 20, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #721 of 10,664
Dec 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #722 of 10,664
This thread is awesome! Who's awesome? You are! 
I got a (well) used iPod 5th gen for 30USD and ordered a new front+back+clickwheel (15USD), plus a 32GB CF card (27USD) + CF to ZIF adapter (4USD) from ebay since the HDD was busted. Just waiting for the merchandise to arrive at this point.
Are there any other mods I can do to improve the iPod? Like changing the battery for longer battery-life??
Thanks for being awesome folks.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #724 of 10,664
Awesome topic, I registered to keep the record:

- Successfully swaped a kingspec ssd KSD-ZF18.6-128MS into a Classic 120GB;
- Was not succesfull with the Video 60GB;

Just waiting for a new display and face/backplate.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #725 of 10,664
Quote:
The flash memory in the iPod Touch is soldered to the logic board. While it may be possible to replace, the process would be much more difficult than with HDD based iPods.

Hmm...well that sucks. Talk about making an expensive disposable unit!

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #726 of 10,664
Hey everybody! I have watched this thread for some time now and decided it was time to get myself an ssd to replace the harddrive in my iPod video 5.5 I decided on this one:

Samsung 64GB MCCOE64GEMPP with ZIF connection.

The good news: it seems to work! itunes had no problems recovering the harddrive, and I was able to successfully transfer songs and install rockbox on it.

The problem is that in rockbox sometimes I get an error when switching tracks/ selecting from the file menu:

"error accessing playlist control file (-4)"

Sometimes it freezes with this error in screen, other times it just states this and continues like normal. I think it has something to do with r/w access of rockbox, does anybody have thoughts on how to solve this?

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #727 of 10,664
hey everybody.
after reading the thread, i decided to upgrade my ipod 7th gen with a [size=small]MXSSD1MNANOZ-240G because the hdd was getting pretty crowded. the specs seemed right (3.3V), the installation was quiet straightforward, but no matter what i tried, the i pod just booted to the red x icon screen.[/size]
[size=small]when trying to enter th disk mode, i got to the red x screen again.[/size]
then i tried diagnostic mode -> manual test -> IO -> Hard Drive -> HDSpecs and after the [Open Device...] message i got the error [Can't open Device] Error! Diag Halt
then i booted the ipod into recovery mode, it was found by itunes, itunes did its thing, but still it only booted to the red x icon screen.
after that i ried an external enclosure, which worker without any problems whatsoever.
does anyone have an idea, what i did wrong? did i miss anything important?

update 1:
i just formated the ssd using a sata to zif adapter with the following settings: fat32, cluster size 64k -> same error in diagnostic mode 

update 2:
after clonig the original hdd with clonezilla and overwriting the ssd with the image, the ssd is found in the diagnostic mode, but sadly i still get the red x when i try to start the ipod

update 3:
i give up. after doing THIS i now have a unmodified ipod7g with not enough space and a external ssd. after doing everything from trying 3 different cables to formating the disk with 2 different adapters and 3 different filesystems (mac native, fat32 and exfat) i give up. maybe, if someone is able to get something else working, i'll try again. frustrating little bugger tis 7g thingy...

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #729 of 10,664
^ TripleM: Please Make sure that connection to your SSD is tight and solid. A while ago a guy in this thread solved the red X problem by doing that. I also fix a sad Apple face by fixing a loose connection to my CF card.

DMinor: I do not know for sure. But I guess when you are playing tracks, speed of your CF card does not matter. It may matter when you are transferring lots of albums very often, but personally I would pay more for a higher speed CF as I do not transfer lots of albums every day. Also keep in mind that the CPU speed of iPod already is slow to start with (it is less than 150 mHz IIRC, for reference CPU of Sansa Clip+ is at 250 mHz ).

Welcome to Headfi, Madfox. Sorry I do not know how to solve your problem.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #730 of 10,664
Quote:
Hmm...well that sucks. Talk about making an expensive disposable unit!

That might be the business strategy of the bad apple trying to prevent you from DIYing their products. They probably have learned from the iPod 5g/5.5g with which we have so many options to modify and upgrade. That's one of the reasons I love the 5g/5.5g. I am also wondering why the Rockbox can be installed flawlessly to the 5g/5.5g in less than a minutes while it is struggling to do the same for the classic's.

Quote:
DMinor: I do not know for sure. But I guess when you are playing tracks, speed of your CF card does not matter. It may matter when you are transferring lots of albums very often, but personally I would pay more for a higher speed CF as I do not transfer lots of albums every day. Also keep in mind that the CPU speed of iPod already is slow to start with (it is less than 150 mHz IIRC, for reference CPU of Sansa Clip+ is at 250 mHz ).

Yeah I wouldn't want to pay more for a higher speed CF card if there isn't really any noticeable improvement in performance. I mean if you look at the CF cards being sold on eBay there is a big swing of price for the same GB's with different brands.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #731 of 10,664
Quote:
That might be the business strategy of the bad apple trying to prevent you from DIYing their products. They probably have learned from the iPod 5g/5.5g with which we have so many options to modify and upgrade. That's one of the reasons I love the 5g/5.5g. I am also wondering why the Rockbox can be installed flawlessly to the 5g/5.5g in less than a minutes while it is struggling to do the same for the classic's.

I doubt they're actively antagonistic to modders and hackers -- those people represent too small a chunk of the market to matter, and they are trying to turn Apple's products into things that Apple has no interest in making, so they don't really represent a threat to their market or intellectual property.

It's that Apple doesn't care about modding and hacking. And so since there's a meaningful amount of room inside the case that can be saved by not having socketed components (batteries, SSDs, etc.), Apple's going to eliminate them when they can. A slimmer case, or a same-size case that can fit more battery and therefore run longer is going to sell better than one that has a pluggable SSD.

Rockbox doesn't run as well on Classic-series iPods because they run on different firmware than the 5.5 G and earlier iPods. If you check the RockBox Status page, you'll also see various Sansa, Cowon, and iRiver players that suddenly break compatibility with hardware changes. SanDisk and Creative are acting with no more or less direct hostility than Apple is; all of them want to upgrade their products as technology changes and they want to sell more of their products to the customers who already have their earlier (or their competitors') models.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #734 of 10,664
Quote:
i formatted my drive with the hp usb tool again

on FAT32 and quick format and it still wont restore when i plug into itunes

can someone help me please

Quote:
What operating system are you running?

The reason I ask is because a while back, I used a different computer than I usually use for transferring music to my ipod, and it WOULD NOT recognize the ipod. I really don't remember what the issue was but I think I had to map it as a drive or maybe turn "on" disk use in itunes or something - this was windows. For the life of me I can't remember what I had to do but BAM then it was fine.

Maybe someone a little more computer savvy could chime in and say what you need to do if your computer isn't recognizing a drive etc. 

Sorry I don't know the answer but there is hope

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #735 of 10,664
Quote:
Yes those pins are so tiny I won't be able to see them clearly without a magnifier. Practice makes perfect! If you are already 75% perfect, you will get the 100% with more practice.

Yes good luck and please keep me updated when you have actually pulled this off.

Hey DMinor- See my post here. Success. Really not that hard.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/269604/the-apple-diymod-my-take-on-the-famous-imod-56k-killer-featuring-3g-4g-5g-and-nano-1g/2565#post_8982709

Users who are viewing this thread

Back