Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 18, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #706 of 10,664
Quote:

Thanks for the replies (and icefalcon too) 
So I will go ahead and be satisfied...and consider it a success..my CF mod 5.5 gen ipod has now doubled the capacity to 60 Gb and is running Rockbox. Good stuff.

Now next step is to go ahead with the diy imod, now that I see how much extra room I've got inside. Gotta get ready for some tiny tiny soldering!

You should be and deserve a beer.
normal_smile%20.gif

I am also thinking about dyimod using the direct-out method (bypassing everything after the DAC and going to the lod directly). But soldering the wires to the pins is more than intimidating to me at this point. But I want to give it a try even that means failure after all preparations I could have done.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #708 of 10,664
Quote:
You should be and deserve a beer.
normal_smile%20.gif

I am also thinking about dyimod using the direct-out method (bypassing everything after the DAC and going to the lod directly). But soldering the wires to the pins is more than intimidating to me at this point. But I want to give it a try even that means failure after all preparations I could have done.

That's what I'm planning to do. Damn those pins are tiny, aren't they? I have considered using the headphone out as a line out but then that's another thing to figure out.

I have been practicing lifting some tiny pins off some scrapped phone boards, etc. If you get just the point of a new xacto knife blade pushing from the back and apply a touch of heat with the soldering iron they pop off. We will see, I am at about a 75% success rate. I am going to give it a few more dry runs to get confident but it's certainly do-able.

If you trim about 1/16 off the top edge tip of the CF adapter (CF card end) you can shift it up just enough to get 4.7 Elna film caps in there w/ a 30 gig back.  Or at least that's my theory...
rolleyes.gif
 We will see what really happens. I am thinking  there is some luck involved!

So..good luck!

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #709 of 10,664
Double check the flexy connection into the CF adapter. First time around, I didn't have it seated properly and the ipod would turn on, and a "caution triangle" graphic showed on the screen. 
Seated fully, it then jumped right into recovery

The drive is there, like it shows up and i can format it if needed

It just doesnt show up on iTunes

When i plug it in its on that need to restore screen, there's no triangle or anything

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #710 of 10,664
Quote:
Yes, I've read a ton of sites discussing "infinite reboots". They all advise restarting in disk mode - which doesn't work for me.

That second link is interesting because it has a comment saying the Kingspec drives do not work because "it was no way getting an Kingspec SSD inside ipod for its poor +3v". Odd, because the spec should have been 3.3V for the drive I bought.

It's a strange problem. The information that no-one ever provides is what happens after the physical disk installation - i.e. the disk formatting / partitioning that iTunes may or may not perform.

Using OP's guidelines, I bought a KingSpec 128GB 1.8" 5mm ZIF SSD KSD-ZF18.6-128MS from Amazon for a total of $159.99 on 12/12/2012 to upgrade an iPod Classic 6th-gen (6G) 80GB. It is a drop-in replacement, no modification necessary. Installed the drive, plugged into iTunes and "restored" the device to factory; yields 117GB of user-available storage. Additionally I had backed up my original 80GB drive with iCloner and restored that backup to this SSD, so absolutely nothing was lost in the upgrade process. I've been using it for several days with iTunes and in standalone mode with no issues. Opening the 6G, I lost track of time, but it took upwards of 30 minutes, approaching an hour (using a bunch of X-Acto knives and non-marring plastic pry tools). Those sarcophagus clips are an absolute nightmare, and being that my iPod has always been cased and is in nearly perfect condition, I was compelled to take my time so as not to incur any damage.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #711 of 10,664
Quote:
That's what I'm planning to do. Damn those pins are tiny, aren't they? I have considered using the headphone out as a line out but then that's another thing to figure out.

I have been practicing lifting some tiny pins off some scrapped phone boards, etc. If you get just the point of a new xacto knife blade pushing from the back and apply a touch of heat with the soldering iron they pop off. We will see, I am at about a 75% success rate. I am going to give it a few more dry runs to get confident but it's certainly do-able.

If you trim about 1/16 off the top edge tip of the CF adapter (CF card end) you can shift it up just enough to get 4.7 Elna film caps in there w/ a 30 gig back.  Or at least that's my theory...
rolleyes.gif
 We will see what really happens. I am thinking  there is some luck involved!

So..good luck!

Yes those pins are so tiny I won't be able to see them clearly without a magnifier. Practice makes perfect! If you are already 75% perfect, you will get the 100% with more practice.

Yes good luck and please keep me updated when you have actually pulled this off.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #712 of 10,664
Quote:
Yes those pins are so tiny I won't be able to see them clearly without a magnifier. Practice makes perfect! If you are already 75% perfect, you will get the 100% with more practice.

Yes good luck and please keep me updated when you have actually pulled this off.

Well, that's the way I have been practicing, working with a couple strong magifying glasses...and no coffee for 2 hours before! lol Soldering on the pins after they are lifted is the easy (??) part. I am mostly worried about damaging the pins while isolating them. Not much room for error.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #713 of 10,664
Quote:
Well, that's the way I have been practicing, working with a couple strong magifying glasses...and no coffee for 2 hours before! lol Soldering on the pins after they are lifted is the easy (??) part. I am mostly worried about damaging the pins while isolating them. Not much room for error.

I am not worrying about damaging anything if I did all my homework. It's just an iPod!

My suggestion is you get a spare ipod for this dyimod project so you won't be left with that empty feeling in case you fail and lose that ipod. Hey these days the 5g/5.5g can be found very cheap if you pay attention. I got one 5g/60GB yesterday for 25 bucks from a guy selling off Craiglist. I could have probably gotten it for 20 bucks and thought that would be mean. LOL.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #714 of 10,664
Ok GoD...I'd take the CF card out. Reformat her and try again. Something is ******* up.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #715 of 10,664
Quote:
I am not worrying about damaging anything if I did all my homework. It's just an iPod!

My suggestion is you get a spare ipod for this dyimod project so you won't be left with that empty feeling in case you fail and lose that ipod. Hey these days the 5g/5.5g can be found very cheap if you pay attention. I got one 5g/60GB yesterday for 25 bucks from a guy selling off Craiglist. I could have probably gotten it for 20 bucks and thought that would be mean. LOL.

Yes, this is a good idea. I am going to approach it in a little bit of a different manner however. If I screw this up first try, then I will look for a spare to get all frankenstien with. Heck maybe buy a few and mod all of them just for kicks. Although I have had this particular ipod since new (and just about 6 months ago found it - thought it was lost!) I really have no attachment to this particular logic board....
rolleyes.gif

I want to try doing one with a 128gb CF mod, thicker 80 gb back, large battery, and try jamming some 10uf Elna film caps in there. They are double the size of the already kind of large 4.7 but I think it will work with the deeper back. 

I think another fun idea would be to wire the DAC right to the pins, and build a special line out that had a plug of some sort where I could "quick change" the caps and see what, if any difference, the caps have on sound. Figure out my favorite..

Anyhow, to keep this on topic: I am already noticing very much improved battery life playing FLAC files on this with the CF mod vs. the aged, clicky-creaking cobwebbed up old hard drive. And so much lighter! this is an awesome mod, very happy.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #716 of 10,664
Quote:
Yes, this is a good idea. I am going to approach it in a little bit of a different manner however. If I screw this up first try, then I will look for a spare to get all frankenstien with. Heck maybe buy a few and mod all of them just for kicks. Although I have had this particular ipod since new (and just about 6 months ago found it - thought it was lost!) I really have no attachment to this particular logic board....
rolleyes.gif

I want to try doing one with a 128gb CF mod, thicker 80 gb back, large battery, and try jamming some 10uf Elna film caps in there. They are double the size of the already kind of large 4.7 but I think it will work with the deeper back. 

I think another fun idea would be to wire the DAC right to the pins, and build a special line out that had a plug of some sort where I could "quick change" the caps and see what, if any difference, the caps have on sound. Figure out my favorite..

Anyhow, to keep this on topic: I am already noticing very much improved battery life playing FLAC files on this with the CF mod vs. the aged, clicky-creaking cobwebbed up old hard drive. And so much lighter! this is an awesome mod, very happy.

I know this is a little off topic but not really. It's part of the ssd mod and you will need to use the Takan adapter and the CF card to give the space needed for the bypass surgery.

Good to know the improved battery life from your CF card swap. Where did you buy the CF from (link appreciated)?

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #717 of 10,664
Quote:
I know this is a little off topic but not really. It's part of the ssd mod and you will need to use the Takan adapter and the CF card to give the space needed for the bypass surgery.

Good to know the improved battery life from your CF card swap. Where did you buy the CF from (link appreciated)?

It came from B&H Photo, I got the 64Gb Maxell maxdata 400x but they are out of stock right now (it was $65 shipped!) 

Here is a link to the 32 gig of the same thing
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/884205-REG/Maxell_504404_32GB_CompactFlash_Memory_Card.html

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #718 of 10,664
Quote:
The iFlash adapter can also be purchased in the US and Canada from iDemiGods. http://www.idemigods.com/iFlash_Video_iPod_Compact_Flash_Adapter_p/iflsh_v2.0.htm

Thanks for the info. It appears on sale now with some discount. $22.75 including shipping to US address. I just ordered one.

Quote:
It came from B&H Photo, I got the 64Gb Maxell maxdata 400x but they are out of stock right now (it was $65 shipped!) 

Here is a link to the 32 gig of the same thing
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/884205-REG/Maxell_504404_32GB_CompactFlash_Memory_Card.html

Good deal there. I just ordered a Komputerbay 32GB CF from Amazon for $24. I have to throw in a blu-tack to be eligible for free shipping. LOL.

I know 32gb is not much for FLAC's but this is for my diymod project. Eventually this card will go to my Canon camera regardless.

Really getting warmed up for the exciting diymod. The only thing left is an amp.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #719 of 10,664
My first setup was with a 32gb CF card before tackling the 128gb. The battery life is absolutely better.

I have a question for you guys...does anyone know if you can upgrade the hard drive on an ipod touch?

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #720 of 10,664
Quote:
My first setup was with a 32gb CF card before tackling the 128gb. The battery life is absolutely better.

I have a question for you guys...does anyone know if you can upgrade the hard drive on an ipod touch?

The flash memory in the iPod Touch is soldered to the logic board. While it may be possible to replace, the process would be much more difficult than with HDD based iPods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back