Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #466 of 10,664
Installed the 64gb mSATA drive and I'm getting the same ATA errors with Rockbox, but it works with iTunes iPod OS.

Has anyone else out there been able to get a mSATA drive to work with Rockbox on a 5.5gen? 

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #475 of 10,664
I used this zif to mSATA adapter and it fits quite nicely. Because of the orientation of the connector the drive can be popped in and out without having to disconnect the adapter from the ribbon cable. Nothing else is required to mount it other then some antistatic tape to hold it in place and a little foam to fill the gap to the case. 

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Cables-Adapter-Toshiba/dp/B009BA5JU6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350761444&sr=8-1&keywords=msata+to+zif

Here is a link to a short video of some photos of the install.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FUR0WtqnCY

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #478 of 10,664
So you all look like experts to me, so forgive my questions:

- How do I know if a SSD msata ssd is suitable for my Ipod? So in other words: how many pins? How much volts (3,3?), and are there any other things I should take care about?

- Seeteeyou, your posts are well documented and you help to keep blowing life into this topic, so keep up the good works. But can you give me a list of suitable 256gb SSD's for my Ipod Video? (the cheapest ones) (I want to try the same trick as Crashtack did..., because if it works by him it should work with me too I hope).

And besides a 256gb disk, are there also any other options (bigger)? (but smaller then the 512gb version because $400 is still too expansive for me..)

And the first link refers to a Micron Sata disk, but that isn't per defenition a msata? Micron is the brand in this example,right? But on the other hand it says 1,8".. so how do I know if an disk fits into my Ipod Video case?

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #480 of 10,664
Hi,

right now iam really frustrated. I bought a ipod classic 6th gen 80gb as defective. The hdd is surely broken. I also bought a Kingspec SSD 128gb (KSD-ZF18.1-128MJ).
The SSD is recognized in the diagnosticmode but on startup i got the red x. Is my purpose even possible or may be anything else broke??? Many thanks and sorry for my bad english :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back