Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 13, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #10,576 of 10,664
While looking for fixable ipods came across a weird item on ebay.uk. An Ipod classic with a blackplate clearly marked as "140gb". (Also says copyright 2005 - generally the thick 160gb classics say copyright 2007).

Never seen a backplate marked "140Gb" before. I'm entirely aware of course that you can get aftermarket ones with 1Tb or 512Gb etc (useful for flash mods) but 140Gb is just weird. Some sort of botched Chinese knockoff attempt?

May 14, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #10,577 of 10,664
Hi,
It’s been some time I asked:
Is building and using the database in rockbox on iPod 7 with Tarkan quad adapter possible now? And what about updating the database?
I read that the newest rockbox builds do fully support the tarkan adapters, or did I get it wrong?
Any new experience ?
Thank you

May 14, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #10,578 of 10,664
While looking for fixable ipods came across a weird item on ebay.uk. An Ipod classic with a blackplate clearly marked as "140gb". (Also says copyright 2005 - generally the thick 160gb classics say copyright 2007).

Never seen a backplate marked "140Gb" before. I'm entirely aware of course that you can get aftermarket ones with 1Tb or 512Gb etc (useful for flash mods) but 140Gb is just weird. Some sort of botched Chinese knockoff attempt?
I once had a backplate made with my initials engraved instead of the size.
Maybe somebody had it custom made so the size marking corresponded to the effective size inside?

May 16, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #10,579 of 10,664
I still have a small selection of iPod classics spare parts laying around at home. Apart from a few nostalgic moments I don't really use them anymore. I'd be happy to help around a fellow enthusiast who's still active with these devices. So feel free to send a private message.

May 18, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #10,581 of 10,664
I still have a small selection of iPod classics spare parts laying around at home. Apart from a few nostalgic moments I don't really use them anymore. I'd be happy to help around a fellow enthusiast who's still active with these devices. So feel free to send a private message.

I still use my ipods every day, but that's me. I am curious what you're using instead?

May 22, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #10,582 of 10,664
what replaced the ipod?
I still use my ipods every day, but that's me. I am curious what you're using instead?

My iPhone started replacing the iPod more and more. Apple Music made it too easy to start adding music to my library and too difficult to keep on managing it on my iPod :frowning2:
It would have been cool if they had made it compatible.
Do any of you use an iPod in combination with a music streaming service? If so, how?

May 24, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #10,584 of 10,664
My iPhone started replacing the iPod more and more. Apple Music made it too easy to start adding music to my library and too difficult to keep on managing it on my iPod :frowning2:
It would have been cool if they had made it compatible.
Do any of you use an iPod in combination with a music streaming service? If so, how?
Perhaps why I still mainly use my iPods is because I don't stream music. I have about 1TB of music of varying genres and don't feel the need to pay to stream. I also don't regularly buy new music. Every few months I'll update the iPods with whatever I did buy. It can be a bit of a hassle because of the number of iPods I maintain, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

May 24, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #10,585 of 10,664
Yes
Perhaps why I still mainly use my iPods is because I don't stream music. I have about 1TB of music of varying genres and don't feel the need to pay to stream. I also don't regularly buy new music. Every few months I'll update the iPods with whatever I did buy. It can be a bit of a hassle because of the number of iPods I maintain, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
Yes, same here, no need to pay for streaming, no need for internet connection, possibly better lossless quality, 50 hours plus battery life, better in pocket control and its even more friendly to the environment.
I have 3 devices, two of them being 2tb and another one 1tb.
I use free file sync, and thats working perfectly to sync the ipods.

May 24, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #10,586 of 10,664
Yes

Yes, same here, no need to pay for streaming, no need for internet connection, possibly better lossless quality, 50 hours plus battery life, better in pocket control and its even more friendly to the environment.
What are you using for lossless? My Rockboxed iPod seems to crap out with m4a's that I make.

May 25, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #10,588 of 10,664
I kept my MacBook Pro for almost 2 or 3 years after I stopped using it daily, just to keep my music library locally and being able to sync it with my iPod.
But once you start streaming it's difficult to go back. It's almost impossible to beat the: "hey that's a nice song let me just add that to my library."
Also my digital library "somehow" contained much more songs than the CD's I ever bought. With streaming I at least pay all the artist I am listening to.

May 27, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #10,589 of 10,664
Yes

I hadn't heard of free file sync. Thank you. That's something that will be useful outside my iPod hobby as well.
Free file sync can't be used with non-rockboxed iPods, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back