Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 24, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #10,441 of 10,664
I just installed 1tb and 3x400gb, so 2.2tb and it is working flawlessly

What did the total capacity come out as?

I have several with different permutations of cards coming to between 1.5 and 2Tb (can't actually remember which cards are in each now! Though I'm sure one has 4x512). Haven't really paid attention to what the maximum capacity you can get to with FAT32, though. Seems like the most I get is about 1.9Tb - but I get confused by the conversions between Tib and Tb,

I keep upgrading ipods with larger cards (usually when Amazon has a sale), then being left with smaller cards that I took out to replace with the larger ones ,left over, then
making a new flash pod to make use of all the left-over cards ('cos it's a shame to waste them)...then eventually I end up upgrading that new 'make use of the leftovers' one and the process repeats. It's a bit irrational/compulsive, if I'm honest.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #10,443 of 10,664
Similar thing here! And then I hunt for iPod's with damaged disks to receive the leftover working ones. It seems the loop is never clossing...

Jan 24, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #10,444 of 10,664
To whom it may concern:
1tb +3*400 gb works but I am not able to use 2*1tb + 200gb.
2 TB works, but once I add the 200 gb, it only shows as a 45 GB drive. I imagine, that it is just 45 GB too much. Wonder how the guy offering 4tb iPods is doing it?

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #10,445 of 10,664
Similar thing here! And then I hunt for iPod's with damaged disks to receive the leftover working ones. It seems the loop is never clossing...

Yeah, exactly - it's a never-ending process of ending up with leftover parts and getting more parts to make use of them ('cos I don't want to _waste_ them), then having more parts left over from _that_. Plus gotta make use of all those different colour ipod housings and clickwheels...

Ipods with failed hard-drives (and all forms of fautls) seem to be getting scarcer and more costly, I guess because more people have twigged that they are repairable.

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #10,446 of 10,664
To whom it may concern:
1tb +3*400 gb works but I am not able to use 2*1tb + 200gb.
2 TB works, but once I add the 200 gb, it only shows as a 45 GB drive. I imagine, that it is just 45 GB too much. Wonder how the guy offering 4tb iPods is doing it?

I don't know that the 2Tb limit would manifest like that - I would expect it just to 'max out' at around 2Tb. That sounds like it could be a different kind of issue. I've had quite a few build attempts that had weird quirks where adding another card caused the capacity to go _down_ to some weird arbitrary smaller number like that. It always seemed to be that certain combinations of cards didn't play well together. I might be wrong, don't really know the inner workings of file systems or the ipod's firmware.

Who is the guy offering 4Tb ipods? I am very skeptical that there is any way that could possibly work.

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #10,447 of 10,664
I don't know that the 2Tb limit would manifest like that - I would expect it just to 'max out' at around 2Tb. That sounds like it could be a different kind of issue. I've had quite a few build attempts that had weird quirks where adding another card caused the capacity to go _down_ to some weird arbitrary smaller number like that. It always seemed to be that certain combinations of cards didn't play well together. I might be wrong, don't really know the inner workings of file systems or the ipod's firmware.

Who is the guy offering 4Tb ipods? I am very skeptical that there is any way that could possibly work.
Iupgrader offers 4 TB iPods. I found out about him on amazon.com

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #10,452 of 10,664
I live in France, i ordered one Iflash quad from UK and I had to pay custom taxes.

All brexit's fault.
You can try it on Amazon or ebay but there is no guarantee that there will be no taxes to be paid upon arrival.
This situation is exasperating, from 2021 whatever comes from the United Kingdom, even if it costs a few euros, there are customs taxes to pay.
Look here .... for € 6.48 of spending I had to pay € 3.43 of taxes.
**** off!!!!!

1.jpg

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #10,453 of 10,664
Has anyone successfully tried this Sandisk Micro SDXC and capacity with iFlash Quad?

My attempts all failed on ipod classic 7g and ipod video 5.5g, with a single card, or 2 cards, or 3 cards or 4 cards. All I got were red X or sad face. The cards were bought and shipped directly from Amazon. There were all properly formatted and detected by my computer. My guess is either the iFlash adapter is faulty or these SD cards are not compatible.

IMG_0362.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #10,454 of 10,664
Has anyone successfully tried this Sandisk Micro SDXC and capacity with iFlash Quad?

My attempts all failed on ipod classic 7g and ipod video 5.5g, with a single card, or 2 cards, or 3 cards or 4 cards. All I got were red X or sad face. The cards were bought and shipped directly from Amazon. There were all properly formatted and detected by my computer. My guess is either the iFlash adapter is faulty or these SD cards are not compatible.

IMG_0362.jpg

Pretty sure I've gotten that one working. Recently successfully used the 1Tb version of the same thing, and in the past suspect I've used the 512gb version.

I _did_ recently have problems with an iFlash quad that refused to work, no matter what cards I used (and those same cards then worked fine with a subsequently-purchased iFlash quad - I think one of them may have been a San Disk ultra). Still haven't managed to figure out how to get it replaced/refunded. I _could_ open a paypal case, but I don't want to risk ending up on a Tarkan blacklist for doing so! (Bought so many iFlashes over the last few years).

Would rather just sort it out with them directly, but can't work out how.

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #10,455 of 10,664
Pretty sure I've gotten that one working. Recently successfully used the 1Tb version of the same thing, and in the past suspect I've used the 512gb version.

I _did_ recently have problems with an iFlash quad that refused to work, no matter what cards I used (and those same cards then worked fine with a subsequently-purchased iFlash quad - I think one of them may have been a San Disk ultra). Still haven't managed to figure out how to get it replaced/refunded. I _could_ open a paypal case, but I don't want to risk ending up on a Tarkan blacklist for doing so! (Bought so many iFlashes over the last few years).

Would rather just sort it out with them directly, but can't work out how.

It appears with the SDXC cards and adapter the mod result is based on your luck. I thought I would give it a try for a 2TB ipod to satisfy my curiosity, but I am gonna return the cards and forget about it. I bought the iFlash Quad from iDemiGods, and think that's authentic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back