Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 2, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #10,411 of 10,664
Lucky, you solved the problem; as I have already written, nothing is safe and the iPods are in such a precarious balance that nothing is enough to stop them from working.
I use itunes only to restore the ipod for everything else I always use floola
I googled floola and it might be my salvation! I haven't been able to figure out a decent way to sync my music library which has a lot of flacs with my iPod. I've been manually converting them to 320cbr mp3s and adding them to itunes but it's really awkward. I just want to take a playlist, put it in an application, and the app will put the songs on the iPod-- converting to MP3 when necessary.

I'm having trouble getting the right version of ffmpeg for floola. Do you use floola to convert flacs by any chance?

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #10,412 of 10,664
Hello to all iPod enthusiasts here! I have problem connecting iPod gen 5.5 with PC or iTunes. PC can't see the iPod and iTunes just become so slow. Also, when I connect it through 30pin connector with my amp (FiiO A3) there is no sound from it at all. 3.5 jack works ok, according the diagnostics HDD is also OK (image attached). Usb charge works and I assume that something is wrong with usb data transfer so that might be problem with connecting to iTunes. As I already have another iPod 5.5 which works ok, is it possible to format HDD (or SD card) in that iPod and put it back to original iPod? Will this work? Thanks in advance.

1637690091033.jpg

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #10,413 of 10,664
Argh. Bought a brand new memory card, and _still_ this iflash/ipod combo won't work. Still get corruption if I try to copy anything to it.

Seems to be that either this iFlash is faulty, or there's something freaky about my PC, and in particular its USB connections. Last attempt will be to get another iFlash and try that.

Now trying with a new iFlash. Better success so far, though had weird issues trying to restore it with iTunes. Kept ending up with the ipod itself, and disk manager, and AOMEII all correctly reporting the full capacity (about 800Gb), but windows and iTunes only ever seeing 275Gb.

Dimly remember having that sort of problem once before with an iFlash ipod. Really don't understand what causes it. The fix seemed to be reformatting the iPod (not the individual cards) with AOMEII.

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #10,414 of 10,664
As I already have another iPod 5.5 which works ok, is it possible to format HDD (or SD card) in that iPod and put it back to original iPod? Will this work?
HDD and flash board are fully compatible from 5th to 7th gen. It should work fine.

On the compatibility topic, there is a great guide that was shared on iPod discord a few month ago. I can share it in pm if interested.

Dec 6, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #10,418 of 10,664
It is published on this discord: https://discord.gg/ipod in the FAQ section.

This iPod discord is very noisy but in the FAQ section you will find a link to the iPod Modding discord which is much more focused.

Dec 7, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #10,419 of 10,664
So does nobody know anything about these non-Tarkan adaptors that have appeared on (US) ebay (sold from China, as almost everything is)?

So far they don't look appealling, as they only take 2 micro sd cards and cost as much as a Tarkan quad. But they seem to be smaller, making it easier to fit oversized batteries in. Am wondering if they will go on to produce higher-capacity ones, allowing more cards. Also wondering if they are legit or if this is a case of ignoring IP laws, i.e. are they ripping off Tarkan in some way?

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #10,420 of 10,664
So does nobody know anything about these non-Tarkan adaptors that have appeared on (US) ebay (sold from China, as almost everything is)?

So far they don't look appealling, as they only take 2 micro sd cards and cost as much as a Tarkan quad. But they seem to be smaller, making it easier to fit oversized batteries in. Am wondering if they will go on to produce higher-capacity ones, allowing more cards. Also wondering if they are legit or if this is a case of ignoring IP laws, i.e. are they ripping off Tarkan in some way?
It's this, right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353738255317?hash=item525c716bd5:g:g-4AAOSw6oFhkm~B

I haven't seen it before & have no idea if it works. The change in size is only useful if they make a larger battery that fits with it which I don't see.
Surprised they're getting away using the iflash name. Maybe Tarkan doesn't have a patent on it?

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #10,421 of 10,664
It's this, right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353738255317?hash=item525c716bd5:g:g-4AAOSw6oFhkm~B

I haven't seen it before & have no idea if it works. The change in size is only useful if they make a larger battery that fits with it which I don't see.
Surprised they're getting away using the iflash name. Maybe Tarkan doesn't have a patent on it?

Yeah that's the one. Seems pointless at the moment, at that price with only two cards. Though I think there is potentially a small benefit with the size - fitting the various larger batteries in is a very tight fit with Tarkan adaptors, and sometimes seems to leave the clickwheel buttons with noticably-less 'travel', and also can cause the battery cable to fracture because it gets so tightly squashed where it folds.

Just curious if there will be further ones appearing, maybe with capacity for more cards. I agree about the "iFlash" name - that seemed rather "naughty" to me, though it would be trademarks that were relevant rather than patents. Curious if there's any patent-infringement involved as well - wouldn't exactly be the first time that happened with Chinese products.

Dec 14, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #10,423 of 10,664
Dec 15, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #10,425 of 10,664
Never ever seen this model. It is not even one tarkian's site. Would that mean it is a rare model? That's why i'm asking
No ne can tell because the photo is far too out of focus to be sure of the model, and even then, what's to say thats not some doctored photo or counterfeit product out of China?

If it is in fact an A1136, no that is not rare, as really almost no iPod model is rare in the sense that it would then be extremely valuable. Start by asking the seller for a less blurry photo so that you can tell for sure what it even is, I agree it looks like the 80GB Gen. 5.5 iPod "Enhanced" (aka Video), but I'm not sure why you think Tarkan or anyone else doesn't know what that is, it is a well known common model.

To make things confusing, Apple also called the previous Gen. 5 (non-enhanced) version Model A1136.

You'd actually need to see the iPod's own illuminated display to know the model # for sure, a picture of a box doesn't tell you much at all, and really nothing when it's that blurry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back