Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 8, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #10,141 of 10,664
I had the same issue and it drove me crazy, but yes, you are supposed to have your ipod on the original os before transferring files. You do not need to use itunes though. There's also nothing wrong with the audio format, rockbox is just buggy like that
What’s the best way to fix it. Delete and try again etc?

Jun 22, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #10,145 of 10,664
I built a 1.7Tb iflash-quad ipod ("7.5" gen). Because I'm running out of space on my 1Tb pods, and amazon's micro sd cards very briefly came down in price to something reasonable (before shooting back up again to silly-money levels), so decided to jump in.

But it's proving a complete pain. Windows explorer and iTunes only sees it as 552gb. But Windows disk manager, AOMEII, and the ipod itself, correctly report the full capacity. I read somewhere that this sort of discrepancy might have something to do with the windows file system, and saw a suggestion on expanding that file system to 'see' the fuill disk size - but that didn't work, it gave an error about the wrong file system (presumably because of FAT32 limitations?).

The cards are direct from Amazon (not a third party seller), and they have never sent me dodgy cards before, so I doubt that it's a fake card issue (though I can't really face doiing the extremely time-consuming hwtest2 process on each of them).

Anyone have any ideas? Is there anything meaningful about the figure of 552gb? When I put just two cards in, it formatted to the correct capacity of 733GB, but if I add any more cards the capacity goes _down_ to 552!

It's 3x400 + 1x512. Two 400s on their own seem to work, but if I put any more cards in it just fails in an ever-changing stream of different errors. The process never seems to fail in the same way twice!

If I try and rockbox it, it says there's not enough room to put rockbox on there! Or it installs, but then rockbox, like windows explorer, thinks there's only 552gb available (yet knows the full size is 1.7Tb)

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #10,146 of 10,664
I built a 1.7Tb iflash-quad ipod ("7.5" gen). Because I'm running out of space on my 1Tb pods, and amazon's micro sd cards very briefly came down in price to something reasonable (before shooting back up again to silly-money levels), so decided to jump in.

But it's proving a complete pain. Windows explorer and iTunes only sees it as 552gb. But Windows disk manager, AOMEII, and the ipod itself, correctly report the full capacity. I read somewhere that this sort of discrepancy might have something to do with the windows file system, and saw a suggestion on expanding that file system to 'see' the fuill disk size - but that didn't work, it gave an error about the wrong file system (presumably because of FAT32 limitations?).

The cards are direct from Amazon (not a third party seller), and they have never sent me dodgy cards before, so I doubt that it's a fake card issue (though I can't really face doiing the extremely time-consuming hwtest2 process on each of them).

Anyone have any ideas? Is there anything meaningful about the figure of 552gb? When I put just two cards in, it formatted to the correct capacity of 733GB, but if I add any more cards the capacity goes _down_ to 552!

It's 3x400 + 1x512. Two 400s on their own seem to work, but if I put any more cards in it just fails in an ever-changing stream of different errors. The process never seems to fail in the same way twice!

If I try and rockbox it, it says there's not enough room to put rockbox on there! Or it installs, but then rockbox, like windows explorer, thinks there's only 552gb available (yet knows the full size is 1.7Tb)
I have two iPods with 2*400 and 2*200=1200, each. No problems. I would do a hw2test...

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #10,147 of 10,664
I have two iPods with 2*400 and 2*200=1200, each. No problems. I would do a hw2test...

Yeah, I have a couple that work well, of that (just over 1Tb) capacity already - using the same brand of cards, also from Amazon. Am just baffled why this attempt at making a slightly bigger one refuses to work.

Even if there's a bad card in there, I'm still puzzled why it gets hung up on that specific 552gb figure.

With just two 400gb cards it seems to come out correctly at approx 750Gb, but it goes wrong and reverts to 552Gb as soon as I try and add the others. But the mysterious thing is it does the same if I put the 512gb card in the first slot and then add the other three! It seems as if it's not a specific bad card, but this particular combination of 4 cards that it doesn't like.

Probably will have to test the cards, but just find it hard to face the effort of removing them all and reformatting them and running hw2test on each (which takes a long time for larger cards)

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #10,148 of 10,664
Probably will have to test the cards, but just find it hard to face the effort of removing them all and reformatting them and running hw2test on each (which takes a long time for larger cards)

First, I would start a Linux Live CD and let gparted format the card to FAT32. If you run Rockbox, just copy a build over. If you use the apple firmware, I am not sure if it would work, if not restored by itunes.

Jun 24, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #10,149 of 10,664
Yeah, I have a couple that work well, of that (just over 1Tb) capacity already - using the same brand of cards, also from Amazon. Am just baffled why this attempt at making a slightly bigger one refuses to work.

Even if there's a bad card in there, I'm still puzzled why it gets hung up on that specific 552gb figure.

With just two 400gb cards it seems to come out correctly at approx 750Gb, but it goes wrong and reverts to 552Gb as soon as I try and add the others. But the mysterious thing is it does the same if I put the 512gb card in the first slot and then add the other three! It seems as if it's not a specific bad card, but this particular combination of 4 cards that it doesn't like.

did you try Rockbox or only Apple? Is it the same error on both?

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #10,150 of 10,664
Yeah, I actually managed to get it to work with three cards and 1.2Tb. But if I add the final card and restore it, it goes back to 552gb in Explorer or iTunes (though the ipod itself reports 1.7Tb correctly, as does windows disk manager). Definitely seems something to do with FAT32 and the file system not liking over a certain capacity. But if you've gotten close to a full 2Tb, there must be some other thing going on to limit this one to somewhere between 1.2 and 1.7Tb.

When Rockboxed, the ipod then reports it has 552Gb free of 1.7TB. The rest of the capacity is seen, but treated as 'used' or not available. But as Windows still only sees the 552gb, it's not possible to do a full sync.

This is so weird. Previously made multiple iflash ipods that just worked pretty much straight away, but the largest of those would be about 1.3Tb or so.

Jun 24, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #10,151 of 10,664
First, I would start a Linux Live CD and let gparted format the card to FAT32. If you run Rockbox, just copy a build over. If you use the apple firmware, I am not sure if it would work, if not restored by itunes.

You mean format each card individually before inserting them in the ipod? I have done that with AOMEII (couple of times now). Do you think it would work better with gparted? AOMEII is of course still running under Windows, but then again, I don't think any FAT32 limits are going to be an issue when formatting individual cards on their own, the problem seems to be the combination of all four of them in the the iPod.

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #10,153 of 10,664
You mean format each card individually before inserting them in the ipod? I have done that with AOMEII (couple of times now). Do you think it would work better with gparted? AOMEII is of course still running under Windows, but then again, I don't think any FAT32 limits are going to be an issue when formatting individual cards on their own, the problem seems to be the combination of all four of them in the the iPod.

It might be worth a try to put all cards into the adapter, boot the ipod into disk mode and let gparted format the cards that should appear as a single partition. The maximum partition size of FAT32 is 2TB, so this should not be an issue here.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #10,154 of 10,664
Well, I managed to format it to the correct capacity with AOMEII (rather than GParted, as I'm more used to AOMEII), then was able to install rockbox and it sort-of works. The drawback being that it doesn't have Apple OF on it so can't dual boot. Which means I now have the problem of Rockbox not being reliable for syncing.
Couldn't install apple firmware after formatting because iTunes wouldn't acknowledge its existence.

Jun 27, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #10,155 of 10,664
Well, I managed to format it to the correct capacity with AOMEII (rather than GParted, as I'm more used to AOMEII), then was able to install rockbox and it sort-of works. The drawback being that it doesn't have Apple OF on it so can't dual boot. Which means I now have the problem of Rockbox not being reliable for syncing.
Couldn't install apple firmware after formatting because iTunes wouldn't acknowledge its existence.

So disk mode doesn't work either? I thougt you could use disk mode even if the OF is not present, because it is a kind of deeper function of the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back