Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 7, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #10,126 of 10,664
Hi. Does anybody has any experience with THIS ZIF SSD, which is "specially designed for iPod upgrade"? Are they any good?
I am considering to upgrade an 7Gen, and this solution seems to be much cheaper (I am aiming at 512 GB) than iFlash + SD (or mSD), doesn't matter if I go iFlash Solo, Dual or Quad way.

Apr 18, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #10,129 of 10,664
how do i sync less to my iPod, specifically i have songs that have lyrics, 500x500 album art etc. reading the suggestion on these forums, I'm hitting the 64mb database limit with around 39000 songs all in 256kb format, which doesn't even fill up the 400gb card that i have in there. is there some way for me to sync less, through iTunes?

would rock boxing solve any of this issue?

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #10,130 of 10,664
how do i sync less to my iPod, specifically i have songs that have lyrics, 500x500 album art etc. reading the suggestion on these forums, I'm hitting the 64mb database limit with around 39000 songs all in 256kb format, which doesn't even fill up the 400gb card that i have in there. is there some way for me to sync less, through iTunes?

would rock boxing solve any of this issue?

I thought someone here mentioned there is no way to reduce meta-data thereby increasing the track limit. I could be wrong.
Rockbox would solve your problem. I have about 100,000 tracks on my Rockboxed 5.5 iPod.

Apr 24, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #10,132 of 10,664
welp, i just went on a 2 hour adventure of installing rockbox onto my iPod only to find out it's been a colossal waste of time -- none of my alac files play on it, everything crashed within 15 seconds. apparently some tags that i'm using are not compatible with rockbox, per a google trouble thread I found from 2019, which is unfortunate as my whole library is in this type of alac and there is no more development of rock box.

so i then tried using every single conversion possible through XLD tool that i have, FLACs wouldn't even load on the iPod, they seemed to be corrupted also, OGG and Lame MP3 worked but the songs would skip within themselves, as if they got encoded with different 15 second sections in random, it ended up being a total sh8tshow and i'm now reverting back to a stock iPod and will just have to live with only 39k tracks on there.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #10,135 of 10,664
I am loving my 5.5 1tb iPod classic but I am finding out that it doesn't sync music with the Music app under Catalina. But it works with the old itunes app under Mojave and before. Apple needs to fix this.

May 24, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #10,136 of 10,664
I noticed a guide for adding bluetooth to the iPod Video, and this picture shows where to solder onto the iPod Video motherboard for LEFT and RIGHT channels. Does anyone know where the equivalent LEFT and RIGHT spots are on an iPod Classic motherboard?

9425595.jpg

May 27, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #10,137 of 10,664
HI guys. Newbie here who has gone all in and bought 3 Ipods (2 x 7g and 1 x 5.5g). One of the 7g models I have left with the stock 160gb hard drive, one I have modded with an iFlash Quad and had 256gb memory installed, the third was a 30gb 5.5g which I have modded up to 160gb using the salvaged HDD from the the aforementioned modded Ipod (and installed Rockbox on dual boot so I can use my old FLAC files) . So all good and having fun trying to fill them...

Just one question - My iFlash Quad has four slots (obv) of which I have used two. Can I simply add another Micro SD card when the mood takes me or will it require a fresh install from scratch (i.e. a new sync). Many thanks in advance as I am thinking of doubling up to 512gb.
It will require a fresh install, just as if you built it anew, after you add memory to the open slots

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #10,138 of 10,664
Hi I have a rock boxed duel op iPod 5. Some music I copy on skips etc. Am I supposed to open the iPod in apple mode plug it in. Can I then drag and drop songs in to the folder or do I have to use iTunes. Also most of my music is wav, do I need to convert it?

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #10,139 of 10,664
Hi I have a rock boxed duel op iPod 5. Some music I copy on skips etc. Am I supposed to open the iPod in apple mode plug it in. Can I then drag and drop songs in to the folder or do I have to use iTunes. Also most of my music is wav, do I need to convert it?

I had the same issue and it drove me crazy, but yes, you are supposed to have your ipod on the original os before transferring files. You do not need to use itunes though. There's also nothing wrong with the audio format, rockbox is just buggy like that

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #10,140 of 10,664
This will be my first attempt to mod an ipod, so forgive the newb questions. I have 5.5g (80gb thick) and 7.5g (160gb thin) ipods I'm getting ready to mod - batteries & memory.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using micro SD (iflash quad) vs plain SD (solo or dual)? Cost of the cards? Seems like I've read more people are using the quad, but maybe that's incorrect? Does choosing one or the other dictate the size of replacement battery that can be used, or is that solely determined by a thick or thin case? For now, I'm planning on just using iTunes, so I think I'll go with either 256gb or 512gb total in each.

For the 5.5g:
I can use the 3000mah battery with any iflash adapter, correct?

For the 7.5g:
Is the 1900mah the only one that will fit with an iflash adapter?

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back