Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 27, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #10,081 of 10,664
Isn't the other limit the fact that FAT32 maxes out at 2TB at 16kB clusters? Even so, HFS+ shouldn't have this limit, right? So if you have a Mac and can format it in Mac format, it seems like you can go over 2TB up to 16TB since the partition limit would be the same as with Windows (16TB), but they don't have the file system limitation that Windows FAT32 does?

If they formatted the iPod as NTFS, I would've thought you could exceed 2TB even with MBR if sector size is 4kB each instead of 512 bytes.

But then, I don't have a Mac handy to confirm this. It seems that you're all referring to Windows where we know the limit is mostly due to the file system. If you can use Mac > 2TB, it wouldn't work in Windows since Windows would force you to format as FAT32 even if you have a read/write driver in Windows.
And yes, I know with the math, 16kB clusters should give you 4TB... but if it's using older APIs that only use signed 32-bit integers for size, then that limit is then 2TB (I ran into this with an older VB6 app) until I used an available API call to have two 32-bit integers returned to get the full 64-bit sizes. I would think it's more a Windows thing than anything else.... which is why I wonder if Mac doesn't behave the same way.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #10,082 of 10,664
And if someone wants to try.... I know iTunes had a problem formatting the drive when I'd use 1TB worth of flash cards at one point. The key there was to boot into disk mode after the system reboots the iPod. Create a partition yourself and format to 16kB clusters.... then reboot on the iPod to finish the firmware install. It drove me up the wall until they fixed that silently in iTunes a year or so ago. But that was how I worked around it.

You may still be limited to 2TB in FAT32 though... but to see, see if you can use this method to make a 4TB partition.... do the restore and when it reboots, hold that keypress on the iPod (down and center?) to go into disk mode... make a 4TB partition... reboot the iPod with (up and center?) and see if the black screen / grey apple screen formats the partition as FAT32 4TB. If you can, I'm buying some flash cards next month.

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #10,083 of 10,664
Hey guys, looking for help. I've done an SD Card swap for a 3rd gen iPod classic. But somewhere, I found a thread or maybe a post online, where someone had replaced the red LEDs in the 3rd Gen iPod classic, to have colored LEDs for a cool colored look. Does anyone know where I can find any reference to that? I think that may be my next project.

Feb 15, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #10,086 of 10,664
Two Sandisk extreme 1T micro SDXC UHS-1 cards

Hello dr408517,

they are darn expensive.... and with the Tarkan Quad.... Is there any specialty about it, or just put them in the Tarkan Quad/Dual connect to Computer/Laptop and the cards get formatted correctly.

I would love to have a 2TB iPod, since my Wave music library is getting to be extremely large - my 1TB iPod is not enough storage any longer.

Can any of the micro SDXC cards mentioned on the Tarkan site be used for the 2TB "sweety"?
Because the Lexar High-Performance 633x 512GB microSDXC UHS-1
is on special offer on Amazon.

Greets,
Julia

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #10,087 of 10,664
Anyone know what this file does within the iPod's file structure (stock firmware)?
iTunesControl

It's size seems to relate to the capacity of the iPod, even just after a restore i.e. empty. So, in my tera-Pod it's 945MB. In my 256GB pod it's over 200MB.

Just wondered whether the size of this is preventing us building iPods with 2TB+ since this file must end up being over 2GB.

Deleting the file just causes iTunes to recreate it when the ipod is ejected.

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #10,088 of 10,664
Anyone know what this file does within the iPod's file structure (stock firmware)?
iTunesControl

It's size seems to relate to the capacity of the iPod, even just after a restore i.e. empty. So, in my tera-Pod it's 945MB. In my 256GB pod it's over 200MB.

Just wondered whether the size of this is preventing us building iPods with 2TB+ since this file must end up being over 2GB.

Deleting the file just causes iTunes to recreate it when the ipod is ejected.
I have a 1.8TB iPod Classic and this thing is about .1% of that for me. I think they just set it to be a set size at 1% and that's the only reason. I think it's the internal database of the iPod Classic... not sure. (it could even be swap storage for all I know)

I still think the reason you can't go over 2TB is just that's how they programmed FAT32.

When I was converting some old VB6 code, the API that was in there limits you to a 32bit integer (2TB). There's another API that lets you use double word (2x 32-bit) to go larger.

But I thought the file size limitation with FAT32 is 4GB, so that's not the limit.

The fact AOEMI in the previous post sees 4TB means that the limit is not 2TB for the drive or else you'd only see 2TB.

But from what I read, the maximum number of clusters for FAT32 is 268,435,445 which for a 16k cluster is 4TB. I seriously think the only reason you can't make a 4TB partition is that the API for file sizes is a 32-bit integer for older systems... and I wouldn't be surprised if FAT32 uses some similar API and can only do 2TB regardless of sector size. That's why I'd be really curious if the user who had the 4x 1TB cards would try to format it on a Mac and see if they can get the full 4TB.

If so, I'll buy a used Mac Mini.

Lauren

Feb 19, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #10,090 of 10,664
Hello guys I'm new here with a few questions concerning the iPod classic 160 GB thick (Black). What's the largest battery recommended for the device that fits, also if I understand correctly this model can only use 128gb of the 160gb drive, does it make sense upgrading to a Tarkan adapter with this ipod? Why do some USB chargers work and others not? Thanks for the help.

Feb 28, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #10,092 of 10,664
I’ve built four 2Tb iPods now. Three are built with the Tarkan Quad, and one with a Tarkan dual. I use PNY and Sandisk SD cards. I’ve wanted to try to build a 4T for several years now, it was just too expensive.

Hello dr408517,
you were so kind and answered me the question about which cards you used for the Tarkan Dual 2TB iPod.
But completely forgot to ask you which micro SDXC cards you used building the 2TB iPod with the Tarkan Quad.
Could you please give me the complete name of those?

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone ever tried the 512GB Samsung Evo (the regular ones white/orange) because the Evo Select (white/green) are darn expensive (about € 200,--/piece)?

Greets,
Julia

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #10,093 of 10,664
Hello dr408517,
you were so kind and answered me the question about which cards you used for the Tarkan Dual 2TB iPod.
But completely forgot to ask you which micro SDXC cards you used building the 2TB iPod with the Tarkan Quad.
Could you please give me the complete name of those?

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone ever tried the 512GB Samsung Evo (the regular ones white/orange) because the Evo Select (white/green) are darn expensive (about € 200,--/piece)?

Greets,
Julia

i have successfully used four Samsung 512gb U3 MicroSDXC in the Tarkan Quad.

Mar 11, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #10,095 of 10,664
0rpheu said:
2TB "normal" ipod seems possible, but its an idea i cannot afford:
https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-quad/
+ (4x) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintech-SDHC-SD-card-to-micro-SD-TF-extension-adapter-FPC-cable-for-mobile-phone-/221149974785
+ (4x) http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Performance-512GB-P-SDX512U3H-GE/dp/B00XJRX01M/191-0599439-1439805

Hello Orpheu,

it's a while ago that you sent that reply.
Did you try that idea by now?

And are those extenders the same ones

https://www.ebay.com/p/1247455495?iid=221149974785
SDXC SD to Micro Extender Cable 250mms Copper 65mms

Greets,
Julia

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back