Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 23, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #10,022 of 10,664
Well, maybe closer to £240, depending how shiny and new-looking it has to be. Main point being you can now get 256gb micro sd cards for £28, so the maths follows fairly simply from that, Also requires finding someone selling an ipod with a working logic board and a faulty hard-drive (as fully-working ipods go for more and you don't need the hard-drive)

I'm just envious about the price some people are selling them at, because I just made multiple ones for myself because I'm obsessive-compulsive (each one is slightly different, you see), and found I couldn't bring myself to sell any of them.
Ha! Ha! Didn't realise there were other people just like me. I've modded 5 iPod videos & 2 x 7th gen160's using Tarkan Quads, then RockBoxed 'em …. not 1T, but 250-300gb & I too, CANNOT bring myself to re-sell them - just can't ! PS: Are you sure they're actually selling for over £1000 & not just 'Buy-It-Now' ?

Nov 24, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #10,023 of 10,664
Ha! Ha! Didn't realise there were other people just like me. I've modded 5 iPod videos & 2 x 7th gen160's using Tarkan Quads, then RockBoxed 'em …. not 1T, but 250-300gb & I too, CANNOT bring myself to re-sell them - just can't ! PS: Are you sure they're actually selling for over £1000 & not just 'Buy-It-Now' ?

Started with SSD pod, then the original sd card adaptor (half dismantled to make it fit in slim case), then dual, then quad...currently have a couple of slim quad terapods and a thick dual plus a 5.5gen...all with different style/colour housings. It's idiotic to have more than one really, I'm irritated with myself about it, but, dammit, they are all different and represent a fair bit of effort and quite a learning-curve, so I'm not parting with them.

Plus I find selling stuff on ebay in general to be really stressful - too many idiots and scammers on there. In my opinion you have to be both very on-the-ball and a bit ruthless to not get ripped off as a seller there.

Currently people are selling modded ipods on there for up to £450 BIN, but when I looked at 'completed sales' a while back, there were a few that went for almost £1000 in auctions, which I find amazing.

Also the only reason I 'need' a terabyte, really, is that I seem to 'hoard' podcasts as much as I collect ipods. Really I don't need to carry all that stuff round with me, it's a bit mad.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #10,024 of 10,664
Started with SSD pod, then the original sd card adaptor (half dismantled to make it fit in slim case), then dual, then quad...currently have a couple of slim quad terapods and a thick dual plus a 5.5gen...all with different style/colour housings. It's idiotic to have more than one really, I'm irritated with myself about it, but, dammit, they are all different and represent a fair bit of effort and quite a learning-curve, so I'm not parting with them.

Plus I find selling stuff on ebay in general to be really stressful - too many idiots and scammers on there. In my opinion you have to be both very on-the-ball and a bit ruthless to not get ripped off as a seller there.

Currently people are selling modded ipods on there for up to £450 BIN, but when I looked at 'completed sales' a while back, there were a few that went for almost £1000 in auctions, which I find amazing.

Also the only reason I 'need' a terabyte, really, is that I seem to 'hoard' podcasts as much as I collect ipods. Really I don't need to carry all that stuff round with me, it's a bit mad.
I've started stroking 'em before I go to bed !!!!!! …. Hey ! - It's a hobby. It's a passion. You don't have to explain eccentricities if it's a hobby …. At least that's my excuse ! :)

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #10,025 of 10,664
I have never been able to get the database to work properly.

My settings are Auto Update = Yes

But that never works. So when I transfer files I do auto update which is says is happening in the background. But the new files are never added so I need to do a full initialize from scratch.

Only this sometimes doesn't work either even though I start with a full charge and it doesn't run out of battery. The database ends up completely uninitialized and unusable.

What's the correct way to get this to work? I thought after a working full initialize you just need to do either auto update or manual update nows but neither of these work and it seems hit and miss whether full initialized every manages to complete either.

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #10,026 of 10,664
I have never been able to get the database to work properly.

My settings are Auto Update = Yes

But that never works. So when I transfer files I do auto update which is says is happening in the background. But the new files are never added so I need to do a full initialize from scratch.

Only this sometimes doesn't work either even though I start with a full charge and it doesn't run out of battery. The database ends up completely uninitialized and unusable.

What's the correct way to get this to work? I thought after a working full initialize you just need to do either auto update or manual update nows but neither of these work and it seems hit and miss whether full initialized every manages to complete either.
I tried with the database update, too, and it’s never worked on my iPods. Now I am using the simulator, and updating works with that. I do not write anything within Rockbox, neither the database, not any playlist or anything else, because when I do this, sometimes I get corruption issues, and the iPod is not usable anymore. That’s why I am doing everything with the simulator. The simulator is in a folder on my iPod, and I cut and paste the whole media folder to the simulator folder, then I do the up date and playlist stuff, after that I cut and paste the media folder back to its original I do not write anything within rock box, neither the database, nor any playlist or anything else, because when I do this, sometimes I get corruption issues, and the iPod is not usable anymore. That’s why I am doing everything with the simulator. The simulator is in a folder on my iPod, and I cut and paste the whole media folder to the simulator folder, then I do the database and playlist stuff, after that I cut and paste the media folder back to its original location.

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #10,027 of 10,664
I tried with the database update, too, and it’s never worked on my iPods. Now I am using the simulator, and updating works with that. I do not write anything within Rockbox, neither the database, not any playlist or anything else, because when I do this, sometimes I get corruption issues, and the iPod is not usable anymore. That’s why I am doing everything with the simulator. The simulator is in a folder on my iPod, and I cut and paste the whole media folder to the simulator folder, then I do the up date and playlist stuff, after that I cut and paste the media folder back to its original I do not write anything within rock box, neither the database, nor any playlist or anything else, because when I do this, sometimes I get corruption issues, and the iPod is not usable anymore. That’s why I am doing everything with the simulator. The simulator is in a folder on my iPod, and I cut and paste the whole media folder to the simulator folder, then I do the database and playlist stuff, after that I cut and paste the media folder back to its original location.
Thanks for the response. I think I looked into the simulator but couldn't find any working link for Windows 10 last time I tried.

I appreciate your patience but is there any working executable for the simulator or a guide to using it I can refer to to get this sorted?

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #10,028 of 10,664
Thanks for the response. I think I looked into the simulator but couldn't find any working link for Windows 10 last time I tried.

I appreciate your patience but is there any working executable for the simulator or a guide to using it I can refer to to get this sorted?
i think i used these pre compiled version, and i use it in windows 10.
http://rasher.dk/rockbox/simulator/
i dont know where i found the infos to use it, but it is rather simple to use, and once you know how to use it, it really helps with not corrupting the filesystem on the ipod.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #10,031 of 10,664
Thank you this is super helpful - you're a legend!

Is it possible to update through the emulator or must you always initialize?

btw I assume it doesn't matter what version of the emulator you use as the database format is universal to rockbox?
Updating the database works with the emulator. And I think it does not matter which version you use.
I use the pre-compiled I mentioned earlier.
There is actually one Importanz step I forgot to mention in the video:
Once the database initialization or update has finished you have to close the simulator and open it once again, only then the database files will be written into the simulator rock box folder.
And then you can copy and paste these files into the original rock box folder

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #10,032 of 10,664
Thank you for the video. Another suggestion: Instead of copying the media folder (which may take a long time if you have a lot of files) you can set hardlinks. What I am dreaming about is enabling RockboxUtility to create the database and the pictureflow files, but I am not able to do this and I am afraid no one with the relevant skills is interested in doing this.

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #10,033 of 10,664
Thank you for the video. Another suggestion: Instead of copying the media folder (which may take a long time if you have a lot of files) you can set hardlinks. What I am dreaming about is enabling RockboxUtility to create the database and the pictureflow files, but I am not able to do this and I am afraid no one with the relevant skills is interested in doing this.
Yes, if somebody could explain how to do the simlink, this would be awesome.
But I do not copy the media folder, I just cut and paste it for the database building. This only takes seconds, and I have about one gigabyte of files. it’s not a copy procedure, cutting and pasting very quickly is possible because The simulator is running on the same drive, The iPod itself, so copying is not necessary.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #10,034 of 10,664
You can't do hardlinks for folders afaik. Otherwise that would be the obvious choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back