Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 9, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #9,571 of 10,664
Ah! Glad you are at least half-way to solving things.

There was a reason I gave up on iTunes a long time ago! It was the 'randomly splitting albums up in to sub-albums for no clear reason' bug that was the last straw for me. The effort you had to go to to get albums to stay collated as single albums was like herding cats. Plus iTunes' insistence on using png for album art rather than jpg was annoying.

In fact it was getting fed up with iTunes that was a big part of why I started using rockbox (though now you can sync iTunes-style using other media managers, plus media-monkey, which I now use, has a good few bugs of it's own - and are there _any_ media managers with proper tools for managing large numbers of playlists? I think maybe Foobar has but I had other difficulties with that)

With pretty much all software I don't get why they constantly change things that aren't important, yet leave annoying bugs unfixed for years and years.

I love the simple UI of the stock firmware, which is why I haven't made the jump to Rockbox. Also, I think jumping out from iTunes at this point would be way too much effort.

Btw, in case anyone else is suffering the consequences of this nasty bug and don't want to get rid of their "Work" info, I'll leave this nice workaround here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/33048944#33048944

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #9,576 of 10,664
Is it worth the trouble upgrading my 30gb 5th gen or 120gb classic?
My 30gb is still in use everyday but needs a new battery but the 120gb wont work , just comes on and stops
I would like to put 5000 songs from my 30gb and 11,000 songs from my phone and put them to lossless on one portable source

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #9,577 of 10,664
The 5th gen isn't very hard to open so I would say it's definitely worth upgrading. I have 600GB in mine now :) Waiting on replacement jack to install thick backplate and 3000mah battery :)

The 6th is a pita to open and is limited to 128GB though so I wouldn't necessarily bother.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #9,578 of 10,664
Is it worth the trouble upgrading my 30gb 5th gen or 120gb classic?
My 30gb is still in use everyday but needs a new battery but the 120gb wont work , just comes on and stops
I would like to put 5000 songs from my 30gb and 11,000 songs from my phone and put them to lossless on one portable source

I agree with peioe, start with the 30gb 5th gen. It's just easier to open up. I'd go for a Tarkan quad iFlash which will give you scope for expansion as microSDXC cards drop in price. The quad iFlash is just thin enough to allow a larger capacity lithium battery and keep the slim back. Just make sure you get the right size battery. I bought one and put it in a 80gb 5th gen along with a quad iFlash and changed the thick back to a slim.

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #9,580 of 10,664
Sep 13, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #9,582 of 10,664
Thanks to a kind soul over at Rockbox forums, I discovered this project and the existence of a quad SD iFlash card. I have been without an mp3 player for years thinking that people with more than 100 CDs in their collection had been completely forgotten about in the age of Spotify. So my aim is to build a 1TB mp3 player and, I guess with the number of songs, I will have to install Rockbox on it. Lower capacity than 512GB is not an option.

I've spent the last few hours reading as many of the 639 pages as possible and have a bunch of questions remaining:

• What are the pros and cons of a 7g over a 5.5g Enhanced?
  • What bugs are present using >512GB on Rockbox with 5.5g or 7g? How much faster is the 7g? What is the difference in battery life? What about bugginess of Rockbox?
  • Are there any recommended SD cards? Or known incompatible ones? I will be buying brand new from recognised manufacturers.
  • People have said the 3000 mAh battery fits with the slim back - is that so? And is slim the original standard? If I require a "thick" back, where do I source it?
  • What sort of battery life can I expect from a 3000 mAh battery (let's say it achieves 1800 mAh in the real world) and 320kbps mp3s with screen off 95% of the time?
  • My plan is to buy a second hand iPod from ebay, replace the battery with this recommended one (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000mAh-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649), be able keep the thin form factor, buy an iFlash quad, buy 4 * 256GB SD cards, install battery/iFlash/SD cards, install Rockbox. Are there any nuaces I should be aware of before spending money?

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #9,583 of 10,664
- 7g = slimmer, nicer design. More recent firmware with a few nicer looking things. Does not work well at all with Rockbox in my experience. 5.5 supposedly sounds better and can be made even better with the diymod cap mod.
- 7g = I couldn't even get rockbox working on it. I got it working on my 6G but it kept corrupting the data and was not really usable. On my 5g everything works fine with rockbox, no issues. It's officially supported unlike the 6/7s.
- Get a name brand like Samsung or Sandisk, you have a list of cards there: https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-quad/ on the "uSD Cards" tab. I use 2x200GB Sandisk cards and a 256GB Samsung one.
- I tried it and I thought it was a bit too tight so I installed it in a thick case. If you get a thick backplate you also need a "thick" headphone jack. I got both at once from: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/new-full-bl...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 The black backplate goes really nice with a 5g black ipod. I don't think it's that thick tbh, I like it.
- I'm not sure, but most likely at least 50h ? Probably more.
- Sounds good. Battery might or might not fit though.

This is mine: https://imgur.com/a/7BFNdme
AdXqN8Km.jpg
uFVr7Cmm.jpg
NRaD4Ojm.jpg

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #9,584 of 10,664
- 7g = slimmer, nicer design. More recent firmware with a few nicer looking things. Does not work well at all with Rockbox in my experience. 5.5 supposedly sounds better and can be made even better with the diymod cap mod.
- 7g = I couldn't even get rockbox working on it. I got it working on my 6G but it kept corrupting the data and was not really usable. On my 5g everything works fine with rockbox, no issues. It's officially supported unlike the 6/7s.
- Get a name brand like Samsung or Sandisk, you have a list of cards there: https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-quad/ on the "uSD Cards" tab. I use 2x200GB Sandisk cards and a 256GB Samsung one.
- I tried it and I thought it was a bit too tight so I installed it in a thick case. If you get a thick backplate you also need a "thick" headphone jack. I got both at once from: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/new-full-black-metal-color-back-housing-case-shell-part-for-ipod-5th-video-60gb/183163740651?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 The black backplate goes really nice with a 5g black ipod. I don't think it's that thick tbh, I like it.
- I'm not sure, but most likely at least 50h ? Probably more.
- Sounds good. Battery might or might not fit though.

This is mine: https://imgur.com/a/7BFNdme
AdXqN8Km.jpg
uFVr7Cmm.jpg
NRaD4Ojm.jpg

Wow - looks lovely!

Looks like I'm going with the 5.5g Enhanced then. And I'll pick SDs from that list.

Which battery exactly did you use? The one I linked? Have you run tests to see what the true mAh capacity is?

The backplate looks great. Shame it has a capacity number on there though.

Can you clarify a couple of things? What's the difference with the "thick" headphone jack? Just positioning or something? It's still standard 3.5mm?

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #9,585 of 10,664
Yeah I used that same battery. I haven't ran any real test though sorry.
There are other backplates with custom capacities (256/512 etc) on ebay but you need to be sure it's a thick/thin one and if it's thick you also need to get a jack/hold that'll fit it.

the "thick" headphone jack is of course a standard jack but the "mounting plate" for the jack and the hold button are different so they are needed for a thick case. It's just the jack that was used in the "thick" ipods (6th gen 160GB).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back