Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 4, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #8,881 of 10,664
I think its a bug but ive noticed the volume decreases rapidly on my portable speaker and i try to turn it up and it stays soft. OF is super loud. I tried going into sound settings and volume but it doesnt help. When im in OF the sound is normal?

What am i doing wrong?

Regards

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #8,885 of 10,664
Almost all software uses the default FLAC encoder. If you're getting USB problems and audio playback problems, I'd question if your storage is actually working OK.

Storage should be fine, using a iFlash SD/CF adapter from Tarkan, I have a Pny 256 GB u3 card inserted. Other music, AAC and MP3 run and play great. Just wish iTunes used FLAC so that's why I asked which Program I could use to encode FLAC.... what is almost all software? Please be specific. I thought Media MOnkey would work 100% but that wasn't the case.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #8,887 of 10,664
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, how does one convert Playlists from iTunes to play on Rockbox. I've tried iTunes Export by Eric daughtry, I'm always getting an error when copying the m3u file with my playlist of 1600 songs to the Playlist folder on the root, I haven't tried copying the M3u file to the .rockbox folder that Rockbox installs. What am I missing? I find that one has to add copies of songs to the playlist folder to be able export a playlist from iTunes.

Please advise what I need to do without physically copying the additional 1600 songs in a separate folder.

Thanks
Dane

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #8,888 of 10,664
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, how does one convert Playlists from iTunes to play on Rockbox. I've tried iTunes Export by Eric daughtry, I'm always getting an error when copying the m3u file with my playlist of 1600 songs to the Playlist folder on the root, I haven't tried copying the M3u file to the .rockbox folder that Rockbox installs. What am I missing? I find that one has to add copies of songs to the playlist folder to be able export a playlist from iTunes.

Please advise what I need to do without physically copying the additional 1600 songs in a separate folder.

Thanks
Dane

If you open the  m3u file in a text editor, you can use it to delete the full file paths and replace it with whatever is appropriate for your player's file structure. If you have the m3u in the same folder as the files, you can use just the file name instead of a path.

So you'd want it to look like...

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:1485,Some Artist - Some song
101-Some_song.mp3
#EXTINF:153,Someone else - Another song
102-another_song.mp3

etc etc etc

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #8,889 of 10,664
If you open the  m3u file in a text editor, you can use it to delete the full file paths and replace it with whatever is appropriate for your player's file structure. If you have the m3u in the same folder as the files, you can use just the file name instead of a path.

So you'd want it to look like...

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:1485,Some Artist - Some song
101-Some_song.mp3
#EXTINF:153,Someone else - Another song
102-another_song.mp3

etc etc etc

Thank you for your response. You see I got a 1670 song playlist stored on iTunes, i export the playlist to a folder, the get iTunes Export by Eric Daughtry to convert it to m3u. Once I got the m3u file, think it's 70 Kb in size, I'll copy that m3u file into iPod_Control folder (hidden) and copy it to the subfolder music folder where all the music is stored in many folders (F1,F2 etc) do I just copy it into there.

I have a 5.5 gen iPod, so for editing what would it look like?

Please tell me what I just type in exactly in file editor with regards to the above. Do I have to do it for every song or just once for all the 1670 songs in the playlist??

Thank you.

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #8,891 of 10,664
Hi,

Simple question: If I want to mod to 512gb and put a 2000mah battery which would be the ideal ipod model?

I have a 160gb thick, I'm stuck at 128gb with SD cards right?

Thanks

First question - depends what you want. Different pros-and-cons for different models, and people don't agree on them. But my guess would be that everyone agrees that 6th gen (80gb classic, 160gb fat classic) and 7th gen (120gb slim classic) are the least desirable options.

For the second question - you are stuck at 128gb with sd cards and the same is still true if you go ssd. Unless you go rockbox. In which case you can go above 128gb, but SSDs can be temperamental with rockbox and whether sdcards work with it seems to depend on brand.

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #8,892 of 10,664
  Hi,

Simple question: If I want to mod to 512gb and put a 2000mah battery which would be the ideal ipod model?

I have a 160gb thick, I'm stuck at 128gb with SD cards right?

Thanks

I made a 320GB iPod with the 2000mAh battery from an 80GB 5th gen:

The parts for my 320GB iPod Classic:

I used a 5th Gen 80GB iPod Video logic board, LCD, clickwheel and frame.
Tarkan's iFlash-Quad holds (2) 128GB microSDXC cards and a 64GB microSDXC card.

The battery is the 2000mAh from Alex.

The backplate is a U2 Slim Edition with a 6th Gen lock/unlock and headphone jack.

The red clickwheel is a 5th Gen, so it sticks up a bit, but makes no difference when in the case.
The 6th Gen (Classic) clickwheels on a 5th Gen (Video) logic board are slow and touchy.

The frontplate and center button are 6th Gen (Classic), so I filed down the edges of the frame.
I also added a small bit of soft velcro to raise the center button to sit flush with the clickwheel.

The finished product with a red Belkin Soft Gel case:

I have a bunch of movies loaded that I can watch on my car stereo's (albeit small) screen.
I can also use the iPod A/V cable to connect to any TV when traveling.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #8,893 of 10,664
Rockbox is not building the database and not committing :frowning2: it gives me a panic message after the last few songs have finished building. I have to reset the iPod to be able to come on and when I click Database, there is nothing built and it asks me to initiate the building of the database again. I've done it like 5 times but I can't see songs in Rockbox. iPod 7.5 Gen using link: https://files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic.html

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #8,894 of 10,664
Rockbox is not building the database and not committing
frown.gif
it gives me a panic message after the last few songs have finished building. I have to reset the iPod to be able to come on and when I click Database, there is nothing built and it asks me to initiate the building of the database again. I've done it like 5 times but I can't see songs in Rockbox. iPod 7.5 Gen using link: https://files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic.html

I had that happen twice, but both times it was with a non-PNY sd card. Seemed like rockbox wasn't compatible with those other card brands in 7.5 gen (something to do with cluster sizes, I gather). Never had it happen with PNY so don't know what's going on in your case. Perhaps something to do with how your card is formatted?

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #8,895 of 10,664

Rockbox is not building the database and not committing
frown.gif
it gives me a panic message after the last few songs have finished building. I have to reset the iPod to be able to come on and when I click Database, there is nothing built and it asks me to initiate the building of the database again. I've done it like 5 times but I can't see songs in Rockbox. iPod 7.5 Gen using link: https://files.freemyipod.org/~user890104/bootloader-ipodclassic.html

I had that happen twice, but both times it was with a non-PNY sd card. Seemed like rockbox wasn't compatible with those other card brands in 7.5 gen (something to do with cluster sizes, I gather). Never had it happen with PNY so don't know what's going on in your case. Perhaps something to do with how your card is formatted?

Im using a Newly bought PNY 256 GB SD u3 card with a dual sd adapter configuration. Database doesnt want to commit over 40000 songs itunes synced songs :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back