Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jul 26, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #8,161 of 10,664
I checked the battery terminals with a multi meter and there is power going to it, checked the battery as well and its fully charged. But when the ipod is connected to computer it reports that the battery is empty showing the empty battery icon with the zig zag on it.

It can be the usb cable (the chinese ones are terrible) or the ipod connector that is broken.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #8,162 of 10,664
I checked the battery terminals with a multi meter and there is power going to it, checked the battery as well and its fully charged. But when the ipod is connected to computer it reports that the battery is empty showing the empty battery icon with the zig zag on it.

It might be a broken capacitor that prevents the battery from delivering power to the motherboard.

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #8,163 of 10,664
It might be a broken capacitor that prevents the battery from delivering power to the motherboard.

Right, got three ipod cables. They all work with my ipod classic 7th gen, with no issues at all.

I was able to aquire another logic board to replace this one with the empty battery icon and zig zag on the screen

I plugged in the new one. It also has some kind of reboot loop, this is what happens:

komputerbay professional 32gb cf flash connected

1. apple logo
2. folder icon with exclamation mark saying go to the apple web address
3. exclamation mark in middle of screen and says underneath DO NOT DISCONNECT

then it loops back round to the apple logo and starts the loop again

This one does not display the empty battery icon with the cf card connected, so can only think there must have been some issue with the usb port or the battery circuit.

with a sandisk ultra 32gb SDHC card connected,

1. apple logo
2. sad face icon
3. empty battery icon

then loops back around again

Im totally confused with what is going on with this ipod,

Could this be an incompatibility issue with the memory cards?

Also when the USB is plugged in, I get a message that says, "unknown usb device" (device descriptor request failed) The screen on ipod shows a big tick symbol and says ok to disconnect

Bearing in mind all my usb ports work correctly and ipod usb leads all work

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #8,164 of 10,664

Right, got three ipod cables. They all work with my ipod classic 7th gen, with no issues at all.

I was able to aquire another logic board to replace this one with the empty battery icon and zig zag on the screen

I plugged in the new one. It also has some kind of reboot loop, this is what happens:

komputerbay professional 32gb cf flash connected

1. apple logo
2. folder icon with exclamation mark saying go to the apple web address
3. exclamation mark in middle of screen and says underneath DO NOT DISCONNECT

then it loops back round to the apple logo and starts the loop again

This one does not display the empty battery icon with the cf card connected, so can only think there must have been some issue with the usb port or the battery circuit.

with a sandisk ultra 32gb SDHC card connected,

1. apple logo
2. sad face icon
3. empty battery icon

then loops back around again

Im totally confused with what is going on with this ipod,

Could this be an incompatibility issue with the memory cards?

Also when the USB is plugged in, I get a message that says, "unknown usb device" (device descriptor request failed) The screen on ipod shows a big tick symbol and says ok to disconnect

Bearing in mind all my usb ports work correctly and ipod usb leads all work

In all cases I've ever had that reboot loop problem, it was due to an incompatible storage media card.

I have no direct feedback regarding a 4th Gen. iPod, however it wouldn't hurt to try the AOMEI wipe method to see if one or both of those cards can somehow be made to work by completely erasing everything and rebuilding the MBR.

There are explicit instructions for that on Tarkan's site, try it, can't hurt.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #8,165 of 10,664
I just did a 5.5 gen iPod 256GB flash mod for a friend using some non-Tarkan parts. It worked just fine on the first try 
dt880smile.png
 so I'll list my parts here in case someone can benefit from this info. I apologize if someone else has already posted this information.

I used a leftover ZIF adapter from Micro SATA Cables that I thought was incompatible. Orpheu suggested it was instead the CF>SD adapter and this turned out to be correct. The ZIF adapter worked fine (thanks Orpheu!):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FD1D2C?ref%5F=oh%5Faui%5Fdetailpage%5Fo06%5Fs01&redirect=true&psc=1&pldnSite=1

I used a PNY 256GB SDXC card:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WWBCS1Y?ref%5F=oh%5Faui%5Fdetailpage%5Fo04%5Fs00&redirect=true&psc=1&pldnSite=1

Finally, I replaced the older DigiGear CF>SD adapter with this DigiGear Slim model that supports up to 2TB. It appears the older adapter only supported SD cards up to 128GB.

https://www.amazon.com/DIGIGEAR-SLIM-CF-Adapter-WiFi-SD/dp/B00XO2KSEO/ref=pd_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51rRiHnfwrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR123%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=Z852XGMFVJ093628HEVX

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #8,166 of 10,664
In all cases I've ever had that reboot loop problem, it was due to an incompatible storage media card.

I have no direct feedback regarding a 4th Gen. iPod, however it wouldn't hurt to try the AOMEI wipe method to see if one or both of those cards can somehow be made to work by completely erasing everything and rebuilding the MBR.

There are explicit instructions for that on Tarkan's site, try it, can't hurt.

I tried the software approach and still doesnt work.

Im actually thnking of forgetting about this route with the sd cards and instead get a kingspec 1.8" ide to CF 50 pin 64gb or 128gb.

This way it will bypass all the adapters and fit straight to the 1.8" hd flex.

Has anyone got any ideas about this route?

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #8,167 of 10,664
Hey everyone,

I do have a question ----- yeah, I know, again.

What can cause the ipod to let you see the apple logo and then have a black screen?
The only way to "reanimate" the ipod is to remove the headphone jack/hold button ribbon and reconnect it.
One of the 2 ipods then might show what is on that HDD (some 3500 songs) and sometimes not.
But that is only on one ipod the other is not in the mood any longer to do anything.
If at all it will show me the  RED X  even though the HDD is OK.
WIth both of situations: if I try to close the back the screen turns black and there is no chance at all to get the ipod to work.
Even if I lift up the ipod without the back on - that happens.
And now the weirdes thing about it is, it happened to 2 of my ipods almost at the same time.

I was just trying to test if the HDD's I am still having, are still working.

Yes, they both are on 2.0.4.

Any of you has any idea, what the problem could be?

Greets,
JULIA

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #8,168 of 10,664
  Hey everyone,

What can cause the ipod to let you see the apple logo and then have a black screen?
The only way to "reanimate" the ipod is to remove the headphone jack/hold button ribbon and reconnect it.
One of the 2 ipods then might show what is on that HDD (some 3500 songs) and sometimes not.
But that is only on one ipod the other is not in the mood any longer to do anything.
WIth both of situations: if I try to close the back the screen turns black and there is no chance at all to get the ipod to work.
And now the weirdes thing about it is, it happened to 2 of my ipods almost at the same time.

Greets,
JULIA

Do you still see a backlight on your iPod or is the screen completely black?

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #8,171 of 10,664
  Hey everyone,

Greets,
JULIA

If closing the back is what makes the screen go black that seems to suggest something is pressing on something and upsetting a loose connector, possibly just the screen cable connection, or perhaps the battery connector?
What kind of case back (thick/thin) and battery is it?
When screen goes black is it totally dead or can you still hear drive (assuming its hdd) whirring?  Any clicking when using clickwheel (if its set to click).

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #8,172 of 10,664
Hello ThinWalls,

thanks a lot for replying.

both are originally thin back - so 7.5 Gen.
one of them has a thick back though.
one normal and one thick battery - both were fully charged.
both are "running" with HDD.
no sign of life when pressing menu and middle button.
both show a flashing apple sign and black screen when connecting to USB wall charger.
it seems like the ipods want to start but cannot do it...... like there is something missing.

black screen stays, even without putting back on.

what amazes me is, that it happens to 2 different ipods at the same time.

Greets,
JULIA

Jul 31, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #8,173 of 10,664
Hoping to get some help with a 5.5 gen iPod with a 256gb SSD. I had a friend put this together for me, but he's away for the summer. I've been having some issues with it that I'm hoping to solve myself and this thread is a bit daunting. I think I've got it figured out, but hoping an expert here can steer me away from doing something idiotic.

The iPod starting doing the whole "dim apple logo" flashing thing, which I think is because I let the battery get too low. In my attempts to get my computers (PC) to recognize it, I stupidly restored the iPod and now it's only showing 128 GB instead of 256 GB. So I've got two questions:

The battery thing seems to have been resolved by the restore, but is there a way to prevent this in the future? A new larger capacity battery?

With the iPod not recognizing the full capacity of the hard drive, is there a way to solve this without removing the hard drive? Everything I've read seems to imply that I need to remove the hard drive (or SD card - will confirm when I get my iPod tools next week) and format it with a zif adapter (new partition) and then put it back in the iPod and restore. Is this correct? Or is there an easier solution that'll have the iPod recognizing the full capacity of the hard drive?

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #8,174 of 10,664
what type of SSD u have in it?  Not sure why it shows half the capacity.  You may have to remove it and format it off the iPod.

Try booting the iPod into diagnostics, then go to IO>HardDrive>HDSpecs and see if it gives you any info on what you have inside. 

Jul 31, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #8,175 of 10,664
Thanks for the tip. It was definitely reading a higher capacity before I restored as I had at least 170 GB of music on it.

Here is what it HD Specs says:

Model Number:
iFlash-DUAL v3 iPod DualS
HDSN:
Total LBA:
Total Size: 119GB
Temp: Current 32C
Min 0C Max 0C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back