Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 16, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #7,996 of 10,664
  Hello sweex, Happytalk and MikeyFresh,

thanks for all of your support and wishing me all the best with my 768GB ipod.

I do have a short sad story to tell......

Well, after coming home from night shift, it was about 7:00AM (15th June), I took Tarkans adapter put my 512GB PNY card in slot 1 and my 256GB PNY card in slot 2. So far so good.

I got really exited.

Took one of my black 7.5Gen ipods disconnected the HDD - then connected the adapter and the battery.
Guys, you won't believe what showed up......  a darn screw*** "RED X".
Reconnected the HDD and everything was all good, I really don't get it.

Do any of you have any idea what caused this?
I tought it is possible to exchange the "storage media" in between ipods of the same generation with the same firmware?

Gosh, I was willing to tear my place down, I was soooooo frustrated.

Since I have more than just one more ipod - last year I was really busy buying used ipods of 7.5Gen - I took a silver one.

YEAH, happyface, smile, grin, laugh.
It showed the desired:  Connect to Itunes to restore ------  Shoutout to all of you.

Now I started being really carful....  I charged the ipod 'til I woke up again.
Good, so far.
Then connected it to my computer. Since I read on Tarkans video it'll take about 4 minutes to restore, I needed to be really patient at that time.

I first started putting about 60GB on the ipod using the dual firewire/usb cable.
Charged the battery for about an hour.
Then one batch of about 100GB and another of about 110GB.
Now I am back at work. I cannot wait to load more on the ipod.

VERY SPECIAL thanks to MikeyFresh for taking the time to explain and putting everything about the USB issues in words.

Ooooohhhhhh, but one more thing:
Since I have an "Alex" extended battery and thick back, I connected the extended battery.
But the ipod does not close fully. There is a small gap between the "thick back" and the front of the ipod.
Has anyone a solution for me here.

Greets,
JULIA

Try prying up a little bit the lock tab on the back cover where the gap occurs. That should fix it.

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #7,997 of 10,664

Try prying up a little bit the lock tab on the back cover where the gap occurs. That should fix it.

Hello Imod,

excuse me, my -not being my mother tongue- English is quite good I thought. But now you got me here.
What is it you are trying to advise me to do?
Sorry, I really don't get it what you are trying to tell me.

I try to describe that problem a little better.  It's either the display side that will be "up" - while the bottom side is closed or vice versa.
And if I press too hard - trying to get both sides almost evenly together, I will lose the display - it will just shine white.

Anyone having a good address for a "normal size" battery for ipod classic 160GB?

imod, do you have any idea, how the former original batteries in the ipod kind of have become "swollen"?
Can that do any harm?

Greets,
JULIA

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #7,998 of 10,664

Hello Imod,

excuse me, my -not being my mother tongue- English is quite good I thought. But now you got me here.

I try to describe that problem a little better.  It's either the display side that will be "up" - while the bottom side is closed or vice versa.
And if I press too hard - trying to get both sides almost evenly together, I will lose the display - it will just shine white.

Anyone having a good address for a "normal size" battery for ipod classic 160GB?

imod, do you have any idea, how the former original batteries in the ipod kind of have become "swollen"?
Can that do any harm?

Greets,
JULIA

Hello Julia,
The thick back with the 2000mAh battery from Alex should close perfectly. It could be that the battery and/or Tarkan's adapter are not  properly positioned. Also make sure there are no thickness pads inside. If all is correct, then look at the locking tabs on the back cover. These tabs keep the back cover and the front plate locked together. Sometimes these tabs need to be "adjusted" by prying them up or down so they can lock properly. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #7,999 of 10,664
Took one of my black 7.5Gen ipods disconnected the HDD - then connected the adapter and the battery.
Guys, you won't believe what showed up......  a darn screw*** "RED X".
Reconnected the HDD and everything was all good, I really don't get it.

Do any of you have any idea what caused this?
I tought it is possible to exchange the "storage media" in between ipods of the same generation with the same firmware?

Greets,
JULIA

Hello imod,

thanks for your explanation.
Well, I realized Tarkan's adapter seemed to "push up" by itself a little.  Hmmm, it seems that my ipod "display side" is too thin for the dual adapter.  "smiley face"
No matter what type of "mod" I am trying to do, there always seems to be something special and different about it.  It starts to really get on my nerves.

Do you maybe have an idea what could have caused the above quoted problem?

Have you got a good address for a new regular size battery and headphone jack/hold button unit?

Greets,
Julia

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #8,000 of 10,664
And did you try to restore your iPod, look if your MacBook recognised it then? Does another computer (Mac, Windows or Linux) recognises the drive?

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the suggestions so far! If I can get my old PowerBook to work, I will try it there. I will also have access to a more modern MacBook Air, in two weeks. I'll try to find a PC. How would I restore it if it doesn't show up? Can I do so with no computer? The funny thing is, something is happening because once it is plugged in and I unplug it, it lights up.

Julia. There is a picture several pages back showing how to install that battery. There is a wrong way to do it. The correct way has to do with folding back the ribbon cable and likely in your case turning the battery around. I will see if I can find the post.

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #8,001 of 10,664
Hello Imod,

Can that do any harm?

Greets,
JULIA

You have to be very careful with swollen batteries. These batteries are probably old, were discharged for too long, became to hot or to cold or a combination of the above. I would recommend disposing it in one of those battery boxes (I suppose it's not only in Belgium they have these right?)

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the suggestions so far! If I can get my old PowerBook to work, I will try it there. I will also have access to a more modern MacBook Air, in two weeks. I'll try to find a PC. How would I restore it if it doesn't show up? Can I do so with no computer? The funny thing is, something is happening because once it is plugged in and I unplug it, it lights up.

Julia. There is a picture several pages back showing how to install that battery. There is a wrong way to do it. The correct way has to do with folding back the ribbon cable and likely in your case turning the battery around. I will see if I can find the post.

It's also called DFU mode. You have to press the center and menu button and the same time, the iPod will turn itself off and start rebooting. Keep pressing until it turns itself off again now release the buttons your iPod should now show the connect to iTunes screen.
https://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/Modes#Getting_DFU_mode_on_iPod_Classic.2C_Nano_3G_and_newer

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #8,004 of 10,664
Hello sweex,

ok, thanks for the information.  Can they explode or anything like that?

Do you have any idea, where I can get new, but not the "ALEX" batteries?

Greets,
Julia

Yes it could. The Lithium in the li-ion batteries reacts very actively with water. So if your battery gets punctured this is very likely to happen, and your battery will get a puncture more easily if it is swollen. So it's always best to be cautious with those type of batteries. That being said I don't think iPod batteries will puncture easily but better safe than sorry no?
It is of course also the source of some great YouTube videos:
https://youtu.be/0rjn5BC3EOQ

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #8,005 of 10,664
Yes it could. The Lithium in the li-ion batteries reacts very actively with water. So if your battery gets punctured this is very likely to happen, and your battery will get a puncture more easily if it is swollen. So it's always best to be cautious with those type of batteries. That being said I don't think iPod batteries will puncture easily but better safe than sorry no?
It is of course also the source of some great YouTube videos:
https://youtu.be/0rjn5BC3EOQ

Re: the youtube video - makes me wonder about them being sent through the post in the first place.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #8,007 of 10,664

Do you have any idea, where I can get new, but not the "ALEX" batteries?

Try this seller on aliexpress - http://es.aliexpress.com/item/high-capacity-1900mah-upgrade-li-ion-battery-for-ipod-5th-gen-video-30gb/32226273996.html

Someone recommended them earlier in the thread. I ended up ordering 4 from them for the bulk discount and paid about 10 bucks for each. The seller also sent me a bunch of extra free stuff including 3 new thick and thin back panels and 2 new front panels. Very happy.

I haven't really put the battery through its paces yet, but it's been performing well for the few hours I've been fiddling with it so far. Will report back at some point when I've run it fully charged to flat.

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #8,008 of 10,664

Here is a pic of correct large battery installation. May or may not help. I hope it does. Photo credit from Dminor.

Hello Happytalk,

thanks for that nice picture, I must have missed that. But I have one that is a little wider but shorter.
Can that battery ribbon actually be bent like this that easily?
I really hope for you, that all your work will work out as well - just like mine did.

I keep thinking about what probably could have caused your ipod issue and how to solve it.
Hmm, but all I know I actually wrote already - but if nothing worked....... I feel sorry for you.

But did you ever try to reset the Ipod? (pressing middle and menu button at the same time 'til apple logo appears - then release your fingers from ipod).
If yes and that did not help........ then I really don't know.

Greets,
JULIA

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #8,009 of 10,664
Hello to  sweex, Happytalk and imod,

sorry, but I haven't had time 'til about now to even enter the forum.
Too much to do at work and then cleaning the apartment, packing my stuff for the trip.

THANKS A LOT TO ALL OF YOU AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT.

Greets,
JULIA

PS:  Anyone here in the forum want a   Samsung 840EVO 1TB mSata?

Jun 19, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #8,010 of 10,664
I got an ipod 5th gen on eBay with a black faceplate but I really dislike it. Can anyone tell me where I might get a white faceplate and appropriate click wheel? I've looked at eBay, Amazon and AliExpress and came up empty handed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back