Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 24, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #7,831 of 10,664
Is the SD iFlashes more reliable than mSATA mod?

I have a 256gb mSATA drive not quite sure what to do with. Could put it in an ipod but if i'm better off with SD I can do that.

Ordered a 2000mah battery last night. Hoping that'll bring my 5.5gen 30gb back to life, it doesn't even charge.

May 24, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #7,832 of 10,664
Is the SD iFlashes more reliable than mSATA mod?

I have a 256gb mSATA drive not quite sure what to do with. Could put it in an ipod but if i'm better off with SD I can do that.

Ordered a 2000mah battery last night. Hoping that'll bring my 5.5gen 30gb back to life, it doesn't even charge.

No doubt, SD is better option..

May 24, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #7,833 of 10,664
I am often surprised to see msata being referred to at this point to be honest. The sd cards are just easier to deal with all around.

Also, a 5.5 30gb generally can't go higher than 128gb with iTunes. I have an extra 128gb pny I am not using that I need to sell at some point if you're interested. Just tested it to see if it works and it does. Other than that it is new. I would do 75 percent of the current retail price. For the record, it is listed in the classifieds.

May 24, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #7,834 of 10,664
  Thank you for the reply! I'm looking at the following SD card: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013CP3Q9G/

The iFlash site has the 128gb variant listed as being compatible so I assume the 256gb should be also. Is it inevitable that when I remove the iPod rear that it will be completely unusable? Is there a recommended stockist of iPod 5th (or is it a 5.5?) gen rear covers? Thanks!

Check out the excellent guides on https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod

Once you're inside the iPod, there are other perils to watch for.

Disconnecting the battery can lead to the connector detaching from the logic board. You will essentially have a knackered ipod after that.
My top tip is to use a toothpick (or anything non-conductive and pointy) to brace the connector (the white bit soldered onto the logic board) as you pull up vertically on the latch with another tool. Been opening iPods over the past year and haven't busted one yet.

I'm also on the look-out for 256GB SDXC cards so would be interested to hear how you get on if you take the plunge. The Tarkan recommended PNY cards are actually cheaper to import from USA to UK through Amazon even after paying tax and duties.

May 24, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #7,835 of 10,664

I'm also on the look-out for 256GB SDXC cards so would be interested to hear how you get on if you take the plunge. The Tarkan recommended PNY cards are actually cheaper to import from USA to UK through Amazon even after paying tax and duties.

Brilliant. You shouldn't have said that to me as I'll probably go with the 256GB PNY on Amazon US for $80 now. As you said it's cheaper even after import fees etc. God bless America. Sorry! :)

May 24, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #7,836 of 10,664
I have a 5.5 gen 120 gb ssd with a msata. Is there known battery issues with that? my battery seems life it goes out fast and when it goes out it does the reset loop and takes forever for it to get back to normal. is there a more stronger battery i should be having? 

May 24, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #7,837 of 10,664
I am often surprised to see msata being referred to at this point to be honest. The sd cards are just easier to deal with all around.

Also, a 5.5 30gb generally can't go higher than 128gb with iTunes. I have an extra 128gb pny I am not using that I need to sell at some point if you're interested. Just tested it to see if it works and it does. Other than that it is new. I would do 75 percent of the current retail price. For the record, it is listed in the classifieds.

I figured SD was the way to go but i have a 256gb mSATA collecting dust and nothing better to do with it.

May 24, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #7,838 of 10,664
Would it be possible that a dislodged battery connection would cause an iPod to still function correctly except for the fact that it is not recognized by the computer? Is that caused by the battery connector being dislodged?

May 25, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #7,839 of 10,664
I'm interested how you did this. I did the format on my laptop and put the iPod together, with new battery as well. my iPod is alternating between the "low battery" warning, and, the iPod apple support symbol.

Make sure that the battery is fully charged before starting. I didn't even put the SD card in my computer. From the package I put it straight in the adapter. I also had the support symbol and after restoring twice everything was working.

Quote:
  I have a 5.5 gen 120 gb ssd with a msata. Is there known battery issues with that? my battery seems life it goes out fast and when it goes out it does the reset loop and takes forever for it to get back to normal. is there a more stronger battery i should be having? 

I have the same issues with my 5.5 gen 240GB mSATA with 2000mAh battery. I had to be vert careful not to let the battery drain completely which included charging it every few days even when not in use. I wish I could offer a solution but I have found none at the moment. 

May 25, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #7,840 of 10,664
guys I did post a few pages back, I think it got lost in all the posts, but I'm having what *appears* to be a battery related issue.
5th gen iPod
Tarkans dual sd adaptor
formatted correctly with Aomei

I've even changed the battery, and, used a FireWire charger fr a few hours.
it either says
"very low battery please wait"
or displayed the contact apple support with logo.

any ideas please...?

May 25, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #7,841 of 10,664
Hi,

I have 3 Ipod with iFlash-mSata adapter + mSata cards :
. Crucial M500 480gb
. Crucial MX200 500GB
. Samsung EVO840 1Tb
All Ipods have a 1900mAH big battery
I noticed something strange.
When Ipods are not fully charged, and even when they are fully charged sometimes, if I dock the Ipods on a dock (Pure i-20), there are random pauses or skips when playing tracks while charging the Ipod. I can see that the Ipod is stopping charging   when it skips or pause. When the Ipod show it is charging again, the song restarts
It seems the Ipod can’t play through dock and charge at the same time without having some problems.
I play only Apple Lossless files

Did someone ever notice that?
Thank you,

May 25, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #7,843 of 10,664
  Hi,

I have 3 Ipod with iFlash-mSata adapter + mSata cards :
. Crucial M500 480gb
. Crucial MX200 500GB
. Samsung EVO840 1Tb
All Ipods have a 1900mAH big battery
I noticed something strange.
When Ipods are not fully charged, and even when they are fully charged sometimes, if I dock the Ipods on a dock (Pure i-20), there are random pauses or skips when playing tracks while charging the Ipod. I can see that the Ipod is stopping charging   when it skips or pause. When the Ipod show it is charging again, the song restarts
It seems the Ipod can’t play through dock and charge at the same time without having some problems.
I play only Apple Lossless files

Did someone ever notice that?
Thank you,

Do you have the same problem with non lossless files? Because it might be possible that the iPod cannot access the data fast enough on the drive. (The iPod was never designed for flash storage)

this is not true. 128GB limit (in iTunes) is only for 6G Classic. 5/5.5G Video and 7G Classic do not have any such limitation.

https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-compatibility/

True but don't forget that the cache of the iPod does limit the the total number of tracks you can put on it, depending on tracksize, metadata etc...

May 25, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #7,844 of 10,664
To be honest I think I'll stick with the more expensive Sandisk. I've read a few reviews of the Patriot and it doesn't fill me with confidence. Unless there are many on this forum using the Patriot and can vouch for its quality and endurance?

I recently installed the Patriot 256gb SD card into my 5.5G ipod. Had no issues at all. I picked it up due to its price.

I put it in the iPod, plugged it into the computer. Used itunes to restore it. Synced my music, and was done. I didn't need another program to format or anything. Couldn't have been easier. I have also used the Patriot 128GB SD cards with no issues at all. Hope this helps.

May 25, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #7,845 of 10,664
True but don't forget that the cache of the iPod does limit the the total number of tracks you can put on it, depending on tracksize, metadata etc...

the 128GB limit he'd declared for the 5.5G Video is false.

the limitations in the number of total tracks is a bit more dodgy, and there seems to be no genuine, hard determination of what the upper limit truly is. different installs and scenarios have seemed to generate differing results on what to expect.

i am aware of the track # limitation, however, which is why i posted the link to Tarkan's website, which should be considered the canonical, factual information on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back