Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 26, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #7,427 of 10,664

How did you do the 5G Wheel mod??  Is there a DIY somewhere?

I remember seeing someone who did it years ago and decided I wanted to try it this time around.  I found a post by Antony who did a bunch of minis up nice.  Super nice guy. It's a decent amount of work for a simple color change, but I am really happy with the results.  Feels like the stock setup.

Basic idea is:

Remove the 4 screws from the mini wheel, pull out the center button and soak the rest of the wheel in rubbing alcohol to loosen up the adhesive.  I let it soak for 45min or so.

Sand down the top of the white mini center button until its wafer thing.  You want to keep the back so it holds the black button in place.  I put 220 grit sand paper down on the table and used my finger to push the center button around and kept checking it to keep it even.

Sand down the back of the 5th gen button as well.  I think I took that down so that there was barely a lip left to keep it behind the wheel. Also remove the 4 tabs from the edges that kept it from spinning freely.

Separate the mini wheel plastic from the wheel that has been soaking in rubbing alcohol.  I used my fingernail and exacto knife carefully.

On the 5th gen wheel, razor blade off the white tabs sticking up on the backside where the arrows and menu icons are.  I think I sanded down the back of the wheel a little too.

Stack the wafer thin white button and the black button and test fit the black wheel and stacked button.  Might have to play around sanding here and there.

Glue the wafer thin white button to the black button with super glue.  Stick the black wheel on with double sided tape.

Here is a link to Antony's steps:
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/finished-256gb-upgrade-of-2nd-gen-ipod-mini-see-pics.1843060/page-2

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #7,428 of 10,664
Just put my 80GB iPod 5.5G up for sale on the forums. Upgraded the battery to 2,000mAh with a Tarkan dual SD adapter. Single 512GB card in right now so can add another for 1TB storage. 1TB metal replacement back and Zagg Invisible shield covering the front and back. Device is cherry.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #7,429 of 10,664
I am thinking on buying an iPod 7g 160Gb (This is the thin version and i believe the latest ipod classic that apple released). I hope someone can answer my questions before i spend the cash:

-Can the 7g fit a 2000mAh battery with the dual sd-card iflash mod? If it is not possible with the standard back cover, Can i buy a thicker back cover?
-I hear that the dac is not very good. Will a lod (like the FiiO L9) connected to a portable amp/dac (such as FiiO Q1 ) solve this problem?
-Does this iPod work with the latest iTunes?
-Is there any song limit with rockbox installed?

Thanks for the help, I hope my english is understandable as it is not my native language.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #7,430 of 10,664
  I am thinking on buying an iPod 7g 160Gb (This is the thin version and i believe the latest ipod classic that apple released). I hope someone can answer my questions before i spend the cash:

-Can the 7g fit a 2000mAh battery with the dual sd-card iflash mod? If it is not possible with the standard back cover, Can i buy a thicker back cover?
-I hear that the dac is not very good. Will a lod (like the FiiO L9) connected to a portable amp/dac (such as FiiO Q1 ) solve this problem?
-Does this iPod work with the latest iTunes?
-Is there any song limit with rockbox installed?

Thanks for the help, I hope my english is understandable as it is not my native language.

- U must buy thick back cover...
- Just buy iPod 5th gen with 64MB motherboard and you dont need DAC
- Works great,,,
- There is no limit with Rockbox...

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #7,432 of 10,664
  - U must buy thick back cover...
- Just buy iPod 5th gen with 64MB motherboard and you dont need DAC
- Works great,,,
- There is no limit with Rockbox...

Well, I could use a portable amp/dac. Also all the iPods 5 gen that i find are alredy sold or too expensive :frowning2:
In the case i decice to get the 7g, will the lod and amp/dac work?

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #7,437 of 10,664
  Just put my 80GB iPod 5.5G up for sale on the forums. Upgraded the battery to 2,000mAh with a Tarkan dual SD adapter. Single 512GB card in right now so can add another for 1TB storage. 1TB metal replacement back and Zagg Invisible shield covering the front and back. Device is cherry.

thanks for cluing me into the Zagg InvisibleShield for the iPod. i find Zagg to be the best quality, and i wasn't aware that they actually made them for the old iPods until now. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back