Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 22, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #7,217 of 10,664
I'm not familiar with those programs. Are they affected by the track limit? Do you simply just use those programs instead of the iOS to load tracks?

Yes teracopy replaces windows built in copy and total commander replaces explorer. Eithe work. Both allow you to keep adding to a queue while copying. You need to b rockboxed as ipod OS does not support mass storage mode

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #7,220 of 10,664

Sadly, i must report the failure of the TeraPod Tarkan dual Pny SD on the Gen5.5. Loaded about 600gb under RB and the ipod started reporting failed loads and fragmented files. Finally, RB would not load. This was almost the same issues I experienced with the Gen7.

This weekend, I am going to try it on a virgin build of a Gen7. If it fails, I will test the cards separately as 500gb builds, just in case one of the cards is bad.

Did you try using apple firmware instead of rockbox to load?

Yes. I was able to load about 240gb. But from my other tests I've found that as soon as the number of files exceeds the 56k limit, I can no longer access the files. I really need RB to load everything.

Depends what you mean by 'works'.

It works for me with 60,000+ tracks.  But I don't use OF for actually playing anything, the OF doesn't even know the tracks are there, I just use it for the sync process

dr408517 had trouble beyond the track limit even using rockbox. I may try it if none of these other solutions work.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #7,222 of 10,664
Can someone confirm that the dual SDXC tarkan adapter is slimmer than the single SDXC adapter?  I just got the 2000mHa battery in and there is no way that it is going back together.  Pictures make the dual SDXC adapter look much slimmer.  

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #7,223 of 10,664
  Can someone confirm that the dual SDXC tarkan adapter is slimmer than the single SDXC adapter?  I just got the 2000mHa battery in and there is no way that it is going back together.  Pictures make the dual SDXC adapter look much slimmer.  

Are you using a thick back plate?
If so, then, yes the 2000mah fits with the dual adaptor.  It is a very tight fit though.
(The dual adaptor is thinner than the original single adaptor, it is about the same as the later thinner single adaptor)

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #7,225 of 10,664

dr408517 had trouble beyond the track limit even using rockbox. I may try it if none of these other solutions work.

Ah, but its not clear from what you quote that he did have a problem when using rockbox to play tracks.  He doesn't say he loaded the tracks with OF and then couldn't access them with rockbox, only that he couldn't load them with RB and that he had previously had trouble accessing them - but he doesn't say in that quote if that is 'accessing them with OF' or 'accessing them with RB'.

Anyway, I now have 70,000 tracks loaded with OF (in disk mode) and accessed via RB and don't _seem_ to have any problems.  Though that is on a 512gb ipod, perhaps there's something different when you reach 1Tb.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #7,227 of 10,664

Ah, but its not clear from what you quote that he did have a problem when using rockbox to play tracks.  He doesn't say he loaded the tracks with OF and then couldn't access them with rockbox, only that he couldn't load them with RB and that he had previously had trouble accessing them - but he doesn't say in that quote if that is 'accessing them with OF' or 'accessing them with RB'.

Anyway, I now have 70,000 tracks loaded with OF (in disk mode) and accessed via RB and don't _seem_ to have any problems.  Though that is on a 512gb ipod, perhaps there's something different when you reach 1Tb.

Maybe i can clear this up. I now have both Gen7 and Gen5.0 Tarkan dual SD TeraPods working perfectly with RB. The Gen7 problems were overcome when the RB upgrades were made to the latest ClassicRB versions on the website. I could not get a stable TeraPod Sd build from the version on Tarkan's site. The Gen5.0 works straight off the latest stable build on the site.

There is no track limit to the number of songs, so far, except for the physical limit of the memory when using RB. I currently have more than 150,000 files on the Gen7, and expect to have that many on the Gen5 by tomorrow. This is about 660gb of mp3, aac, and flac files. The track limit of about 56K songs is true for the Apple OS, regardless of the Generation. I have run into problems with some Chinese Gen5 boards when using the Apple OS - and the databases become corrupt below the 56k limit. I also had a lot of playback stability issues above 600gb using a 32ram logicboard (so I quit using them). I've tested the mini with a 256gb SD card, and it wasn't stable with that many songs using the Apple OS I stay below 128gb with the mini mod, since I run the native OS on the minis.

My Gen7 has a 2000mAh battery and will run for at least 3 days straight without recharging. I haven't stress tested the Gen5, which has a 1300mAh battery. I've not had any playback issues, yet. On my most recent business trip to Europe, my mSata Terapod Gen5.5 froze, restarted to the sad face, and needed to be reset. I've yet to have this happen with the SD TeraPods.

I own every type of iPod, with every available memory configuration. I, personally, can't tell the difference between mSata and SD versions. I believe the Gen5 sounds better than the Gen7, which soumds better than the mini. But I have old ears and I listen to old rock music. My goto TeraPod is a Gen5.5 64ram Samsung mSata 840, but i must admit - the SD TeraPod is more energy efficient, and more stable. Nevertheless, you can't beat the price of an mSata compared to the other storage options.

As far as loading goes, sometimes I load through RB, sometimes through the Apple OS under the dual boot (Gen5 or 5.5). I've found loading though the OS is faster. If I am worried about the battery, I load with a dual-firewire cable. When loading to an mSata, I keep the initial loads to around 30gb at a time to avoid overheating. On the dual SD builds, I've loaded 150gb in a single run.

My last three builds have been Gen5s. Once you get RB loaded, you can pull the mSata or the dual SD from the iPod and load all the music externally 5-10x faster than while in the iPod.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #7,229 of 10,664
Maybe i can clear this up. I now have both Gen7 and Gen5.0 Tarkan dual SD TeraPods working perfectly with RB. The Gen7 problems were overcome when the RB upgrades were made to the latest ClassicRB versions on the website. I could not get a stable TeraPod Sd build from the version on Tarkan's site. The Gen5.0 works straight off the latest stable build on the site.

There is no track limit to the number of songs, so far, except for the physical limit of the memory when using RB. I currently have more than 150,000 files on the Gen7, and expect to have that many on the Gen5 by tomorrow. This is about 660gb of mp3, aac, and flac files. The track limit of about 56K songs is true for the Apple OS, regardless of the Generation. I have run into problems with some Chinese Gen5 boards when using the Apple OS - and the databases become corrupt below the 56k limit. I also had a lot of playback stability issues above 600gb using a 32ram logicboard (so I quit using them). I've tested the mini with a 256gb SD card, and it wasn't stable with that many songs using the Apple OS I stay below 128gb with the mini mod, since I run the native OS on the minis.

My Gen7 has a 2000mAh battery and will run for at least 3 days straight without recharging. I haven't stress tested the Gen5, which has a 1300mAh battery. I've not had any playback issues, yet. On my most recent business trip to Europe, my mSata Terapod Gen5.5 froze, restarted to the sad face, and needed to be reset. I've yet to have this happen with the SD TeraPods.

I own every type of iPod, with every available memory configuration. I, personally, can't tell the difference between mSata and SD versions. I believe the Gen5 sounds better than the Gen7, which soumds better than the mini. But I have old ears and I listen to old rock music. My goto TeraPod is a Gen5.5 64ram Samsung mSata 840, but i must admit - the SD TeraPod is more energy efficient, and more stable. Nevertheless, you can't beat the price of an mSata compared to the other storage options.

As far as loading goes, sometimes I load through RB, sometimes through the Apple OS under the dual boot (Gen5 or 5.5). I've found loading though the OS is faster. If I am worried about the battery, I load with a dual-firewire cable. When loading to an mSata, I keep the initial loads to around 30gb at a time to avoid overheating. On the dual SD builds, I've loaded 150gb in a single run.

My last three builds have been Gen5s. Once you get RB loaded, you can pull the mSata or the dual SD from the iPod and load all the music externally 5-10x faster than while in the iPod.

I have a 80gb 5.5 ipod dual sdxc. So ThinWalls is correct. I can use iOS to load as many tracks as I like. Just load rockbox first. Use the dual boot to put ipod in apple's disk mode. Load. Then just don't try to play tracks with the iOS, correct?

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #7,230 of 10,664
So I have an iPod video 5th generation which I'm thinking about modding.

It is the thinner 30gb version.

There seems to be two ways to do this. One way is get an mSata to zif adapter. On eBay there's a board under

NEW mSATA PCI-E SSD to 40pin ZIF CE Cable Adapter Card for IPOD Classic 5th

get an mSATA 1.8 SSD drive. They are pretty cheap, a 128gb can be found for $50, total around $55.

There is also a native solution. An SSD from Wintec that is native Zif PATA. A bit more expensive at $75 for 128gb, but is a native solution and looks pretty thin.

What's the better way to do it? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back