Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 2, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #6,766 of 10,664

Transferring in RB USB mode.

Update: Once I managed to pass the 200gb mark today, I re-ran the chkdsk for the 10th time. There were cross-linked files and folders which I could not delete with windows, so I decided to try to delete them using the RB interface. It worked. I reconnected the ipod, limped along adding 200 files at a time. Interestingly, after passing about 216gb, the upload speed picked back up again. I am back to the 4MB/s rate.

Currently I am loading a 60gb block and all *seems* fine. Fingers crossed.  

For some reason, when I load music on my 5.5G in RB with the dual adapter and PNY 256GB cards, the files don't play well. The sound mutes for a second or two on every single file and at any time. I did it on two different computers with the same results. But when I load them in the Apple firmware, everything is fine. Did you listen to some of the files to see if they are OK? I forgot to mention that I don't use any programs to transfer music. I just drag and drop into the folders.

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #6,770 of 10,664
Hey guys, are the iPod back covers for the 6 and 7th gen iPod classics compatible with the 5.5G iPods?

Reason I ask is the little white plastic that keeps the LOD snug broke on my iPod, and the headphone jack seems to be going out.  only plays on one ear and I've tried reseating the cables.

So since I need to replace the headphone jack and the small plastic piece, I was thinking about going with this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/thick-256GB-customizing-Metal-Back-Case-Housing-Cover-black-for-ipod-classic-/171784452862?hash=item27ff26bafe:g:uwsAAOSwstxVT0iX

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #6,771 of 10,664
  Hey guys, are the iPod back covers for the 6 and 7th gen iPod classics compatible with the 5.5G iPods?

Reason I ask is the little white plastic that keeps the LOD snug broke on my iPod, and the headphone jack seems to be going out.  only plays on one ear and I've tried reseating the cables.

So since I need to replace the headphone jack and the small plastic piece, I was thinking about going with this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/thick-256GB-customizing-Metal-Back-Case-Housing-Cover-black-for-ipod-classic-/171784452862?hash=item27ff26bafe:g:uwsAAOSwstxVT0iX

Yes they are. Make sure you use the same thickness as the hold switch and headphone jack will not fit properly.

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #6,772 of 10,664
Yes they are. Make sure you use the same thickness as the hold switch and headphone jack will not fit properly.

Awesome, sounds good. Thank you!

I plan to go with a thick black cover as I plan to use a 2000mAh battery as well.

I also have to decide what I'm going to do with my front cover. I currently have a clear iVue, which I like as I can see the iMod aspect of it. However, my iVue has seen better days and the invisible Shield I have in it isn't in the best shape. Wondering if I should just go with a black cover. Just some cosmetic stuff. While the iVue is great, I don't think the quality of it is great.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #6,773 of 10,664
Hello,

What do you think about this mention :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Apple-iPod-7th-480Gb-Now-you-can-Double-your-240Gb-160Gb-library-/261820728083?fromMakeTrack=true

Why we do not sell  512Gb and  1tb iPods?
- In short it is not reliable and stable,  so we had made all the test and try all the possible  options available and it always end with a broken database and/or the "red x" or "sad apple face" been a hassle to repair each time not mention the extra special cable and wall chargers are needed to work kind of properly, so we found this solution only good for computer technicians and advanced users that do not mind to jump on all this issues and a few more like the one that iTunes database get broken when sync and try to play more than 42k songs and the user end with more or less than 379Gb of unused space so it have no sense to upgrade it to 1tb if you pretend to use iTunes. If you own a huge library and still need a 1Tb iPod please contact us first we will be happy to advice on a proper solution.

I have 3 Ipods:
1 480Gb Ipod (Crucial M500)
1 500Gb Ipod (Samsung EVO840)
1 1Tb Ipod (Samsung EVO840)

It seems the Samsung EVO840 are more proned to get the Red X screen
I never had any issue with the 480Gb Ipod

I use Itunes and the Apple firmware onto the Ipod

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #6,774 of 10,664
  Hello,

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Apple-iPod-7th-480Gb-Now-you-can-Double-your-240Gb-160Gb-library-/261820728083?fromMakeTrack=true

- In short it is not reliable and stable,  so we had made all the test and try all the possible  options available and it always end with a broken database and/or the "red x" or "sad apple face" been a hassle to repair each time not mention the extra special cable and wall chargers are needed to work kind of properly, so we found this solution only good for computer technicians and advanced users that do not mind to jump on all this issues and a few more like the one that iTunes database get broken when sync and try to play more than 42k songs and the user end with more or less than 379Gb of unused space so it have no sense to upgrade it to 1tb if you pretend to use iTunes. If you own a huge library and still need a 1Tb iPod please contact us first we will be happy to advice on a proper solution.

I have 3 Ipods:

Well I don't think you can honestly say its 'stable', so its not surprising they don't want to sell them to non-technically-minded people who will expect things to 'just work' (I mean, we're talking people who buy Apple products here, not even Windows/PC types!).

Personally I haven't found anything beyond a standard 160gb to be truly reliable or stable with iTunes, but I no longer use iTunes, far prefer Rockbox now.  But I also wouldn't bother with the SSD route again, myself, would stick with SDXC.

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #6,775 of 10,664
Awesome, sounds good. Thank you!

I plan to go with a thick black cover as I plan to use a 2000mAh battery as well.

I also have to decide what I'm going to do with my front cover. I currently have a clear iVue, which I like as I can see the iMod aspect of it. However, my iVue has seen better days and the invisible Shield I have in it isn't in the best shape. Wondering if I should just go with a black cover. Just some cosmetic stuff. While the iVue is great, I don't think the quality of it is great.

Yeah agree on the quality of the iVue clear cover. It's made of cheap plastic material and easily scratched. But still I love to see thru the cover and identify how my diymod was done by just looking at the wires.

Hello,

I have 3 Ipods:

From my mSATA mod experience running RB only, the Crucial 480GB and BP4 256GB are 100% stable. Yes the Samsung 1TB mod is not fully reliable which is understandable given the upgrade size pushing the old ipod to the limit or even beyond.

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #6,776 of 10,664

Yeah agree on the quality of the iVue clear cover. It's made of cheap plastic material and easily scratched. But still I love to see thru the cover and identify how my diymod was done by just looking at the wires.

From my mSATA mod experience running RB only, the Crucial 480GB and BP4 256GB are 100% stable. Yes the Samsung 1TB mod is not fully reliable which is understandable given the upgrade size pushing the old ipod to the limit or even beyond.

Thats also my experience with the BP4e 512GB mSATA, completely stable, at least when using the 2000mAh battery in a Gen. 5.5 Video with 64mb logic board.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #6,780 of 10,664

I haven't done any real test or benchmarking of the playtime, suffice it to say it is very long.

More recently I took the iFlash mSATA out of that Gen. 5.5 and replaced it with an iFlash-Dual 2x 256GB SDXC. I was expecting the battery life to improve dramatically as compared to using the mSATA card but so far I don't see a ton of actual difference.

I did see that Tarkan revised his battery run time tests to include the iFlash-Dual, however he used a Gen. 7.5 which is far more thrifty battery-wise than my Gen. 5.5 is, and he wasn't using the BP4e 512GB version mSATA so not really any answer to your specific question. But in his tests the Dual ran more than twice as long as the 512GB mSATA. I'm not getting that kind of difference. Tarkan was using a stock battery.

Tarkan tested both 1TB, and 512GB mSATA cards, using lossless files he got nearly 16 hours run time with the smaller capacity, and close to 12.5 hours with the larger capacity card. Again, stock battery.

I'd say the 2000mAh battery using lossless files with the BP4e 512GB card was somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 hours run time in a Gen. 5.5 Video, and that includes periodic fiddling through menus and screen illumination (real world use and not a runtime test).

Even for 25 hrs, I would still consider it impressive for the BP4e 512GB. I may pick up one of these BP4e 512GB's for a future diymod project. Although I had no experience with the BP4e's, the BP4 256GB's are very power efficient and highly recommended for those who find 256GB's enough.

Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back