Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Oct 13, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #6,603 of 10,664
  Neh this is not the first time I put this thing together. It's an 840 EVO, I know it should work.

Unfortunately it won't go into disk mode so I'm kinda fearing this is the end of it.

Do you have another similar iPod you can test with?? or one you can borrow???

Maybe try formatting the SSD on a computer into a different format then plug it back in??

Try the original HD if you have one to try.

I'm no expert, just giving suggestions of things I would try to help narrow down causes

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #6,604 of 10,664
  It can't be a corrupt hard drive as the SSD is freshly formatted. I should've googled this though, lotta information out there, thanks.

From 'frowny face' I am guessing its a 5th or 5.5 gen?  So the 5/5.5 equivalent of the red-cross error?

When you say 'freshly formatted', how was it formatted (in or outside the ipod, and with AOMEI or something else?) and with what format? (and 5 or 5.5 gen?)

You might have already given this info earlier, but its far too much effort for me to hit the 'back' button!

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #6,605 of 10,664

Only if the pads were not lifted off the board

What pads? The connector seems to be just pulled off (the small wires stayed in place until I tried to put it back on them and connector doesn't look broken - just without the silver wires on it). So in theory if I buy a new connector like this one and find someone that can solder it back on, I should be fine?
Here's a pic of the connector:

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #6,606 of 10,664
Pardon the interruption. I am practicing on a broken 30g 5th gen. Am I missing a ribbon? I am not sure how to connect the dual adaptor. Am I supposed to use the old one? Thanks.

Edit. Yes. I need to use the original ribbon. I'll leave this post here for anyone else that is half a$$ed like me.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #6,607 of 10,664

From 'frowny face' I am guessing its a 5th or 5.5 gen?  So the 5/5.5 equivalent of the red-cross error?

When you say 'freshly formatted', how was it formatted (in or outside the ipod, and with AOMEI or something else?) and with what format? (and 5 or 5.5 gen?)

You might have already given this info earlier, but its far too much effort for me to hit the 'back' button!

Well it's a 5G board in a 6G housing, in short. I formatted it a while ago, outside of the iPod, not with AOMEI. I think I formatted it using guiformat, since Windows won't format in FAT32 anymore.

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #6,608 of 10,664
  What pads? The connector seems to be just pulled off (the small wires stayed in place until I tried to put it back on them and connector doesn't look broken - just without the silver wires on it). So in theory if I buy a new connector like this one and find someone that can solder it back on, I should be fine?
Here's a pic of the connector:

The solder pads on the board where you solder the connector to. I just looked at the pic you posted yesterday and it appears the pads are still there. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #6,610 of 10,664
  I'll give it a shot. Thanks guys! hopefully all is not yet lost. :)

Like you said, the connector may be still good so you should try to solder it back to the board before you buy a new connector. Just make sure you get an iron with a very fine pencil tip, something like 0.2mm. I never needed to solder that connector to the board but from that video it appears very doable even by an average Joe. Make sure you don't bridge any pads when you are soldering. Before you try to solder the connector back to the board, tin those pins a little bit that way all you need to do is pretty much just to touch the pin and pad with the hot iron and you are done. If you put too much solder on the tip you may risk bridging the pads if not experienced. 

Good luck, and you have nothing to lose as long as you keep the GF. :)

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #6,611 of 10,664

Like you said, the connector may be still good so you should try to solder it back to the board before you buy a new connector. Just make sure you get an iron with a very fine pencil tip, something like 0.2mm. I never needed to solder that connector to the board but from that video it appears very doable even by an average Joe. Make sure you don't bridge any pads when you are soldering. Before you try to solder the connector back to the board, tin those pins a little bit that way all you need to do is pretty much just to touch the pin and pad with the hot iron and you are done. If you put too much solder on the tip you may risk bridging the pads if not experienced. 

Good luck, and you have nothing to lose as long as you keep the GF. :)

Search Youtube for SMD or SMT soldering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY 

I had no idea but soldering tiny components like ipod usb ports or maybe battery connectors looks totally doable. Haven't tried myself but maybe one day...

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #6,613 of 10,664
Hi, guys. I am pretty sure that if i'll read all 440 pages i'd defenately find the info i'm looking for. But i tired after nearly 40 pages:)
Anyway, I'd like to get some summary infirmation about SSD-s which could fit for my ipod.
1. I'm not going to use rockbox or any other non-native firmware
2. I've got PC running on Win10 + itunes
3. My player is ipod 5.5 30gb(the thin one, MA446ZP, if it's important) 
4. I don't want to make it thik. Just lookin for max capacity drive for current body
5. I'm looking for a drive which is "plug and play".

Thanks for any helpful direct info or any links. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back